Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarAbout UsJurassic-PediaFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Dinosaur Claymation (Stop-Motion) Thread

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cha0ticArch0saur
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Dinosaur Claymation (Stop-Motion) Thread   Sat May 12, 2018 4:14 pm

I have been a fan of dinosaur-related claymation and stop-motion. since I was very young and had a VHS copy of Dinosaurs! – A Fun-Filled Trip Back in Time! This one gets almost nightmarish dark...
Open To Watch:

Phil Tippet's Prehistoric Beast is another good one. The lighting and depth of the backdrop are great. The backdrop for good dinosaur claymation is the same as a detailed diorama.
Open To Watch:

64,000,000 Years Ago has a well-detailed diorama set as well, but I don't think the lighting ever gets as dramatic as Prehistoric Beast.
Open To Watch:

There are more flicks that I can think of, but I would rather leave those to you guys to bring up and discuss. Smile

Follow the whte_rbt.obj
#NedrySec:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Claymation (Stop-Motion) Thread   Mon May 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Prehistoric Beast always blows me away. Tippet's incredible at what he does. The atmosphere is shockingly tense. Honestly, few big budget movies are able to capture the feel of being in a Dinosaur-infested jungle, something Tippet nailed with this short.

View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Claymation (Stop-Motion) Thread   Mon May 14, 2018 6:39 pm

I LOVE stop-motion animation dinosaur movies. Without them, Jurassic Park wouldn't be here.

The original 1925 version of The Lost World is one of my favorite movies of all time. I got the Image Entertainment version which has 90% of the original footage.

Here's a picture of a pair of T. rexes fighting.

And here's a picture of the Rhedosaurus from the movie, The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms.

Here's a picture of Gwangi from, The Valley Of Gwangi. He was originally supposed to be a T. rex in the Willis O'Brien version, but that was changed to an Allosaurus in the Ray Harryhausen movie.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hesperornis
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Claymation (Stop-Motion) Thread   Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:28 pm

There's a lot of good dinosaur stop motion stuff out there if you know there to look. Below is some footage by Willis O'Brien for the unfinished film Creation which, while never released, served as a practice run for King Kong.

As I'm sure many of you know, Phil Tippett was originally going to use his brand of stop motion for the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. While Spielberg ultimately chose to go with CGI, at least some of Tippett's test footage has survived, such as this T. rex walk cycle.

Tippett also made stop motion animatics for some of the movie's dinosaur scenes, such as this one for the raptors in the kitchen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Claymation (Stop-Motion) Thread   

Back to top Go down

Dinosaur Claymation (Stop-Motion) Thread
Page 1 of 1