Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarAbout UsJurassic-PediaFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Do YOU think it is bad that the Jurassic World films are bombastic?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Do YOU think it is bad that the Jurassic World films are bombastic?   Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:36 am

I do like Jurassic World and Fallen Kingdom but mostly prefer the more realistic tone in Jurassic Park and The Lost World (Jurassic Park 3 doesn't get bombastic however I feel it was the beginning of the change of tone). The new trilogy has definitely taken a more bombastic approach but is that bad? Both Jurassic World and Fallen Kingdom made over a billion dollars so the trilogy does for sure has an audience. They are different and I think they were mostly designed for getting new fans and than for us longtime fans.

So in my opinion it's a yes and no answer as I don't think it's bad as it's getting more fans to the franchise but yes as the days of the more realistic Jurassic Park are over and that's sad to say. But what is your opinion on this?

Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Do YOU think it is bad that the Jurassic World films are bombastic?   Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:57 am

It all depends on whether it's done well imho. For example, I think it was done well in Jurassic World, but not as well in Fallen Kingdom. Jurassic World knew what it was and (imho) delivered on it. Fallen Kingdom on the other hand was a film that I feel sort of struggled with its own identity, not knowing whether it was a bombastic thrill ride like Jurassic World or a darker thriller type film, and in the end, it felt a bit confused to me.

At this point, I'd prefer a darker, more realistic film, but at the time of Jurassic World's release, I think a big, loud bombastic thrill ride with tons of fan service was exactly what the doctor ordered to rinse the bad taste of JP3 out of people's mouths.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Do YOU think it is bad that the Jurassic World films are bombastic?   Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:21 pm

I've been thinking about the difference between struggling to avoid going over a cliff (TLW) VS going over a cliff and emerging unscathed (FK). This seems to embody the different between the older JP films and new JW movies - I prefer the old, Spielbergian suspense as opposed to bombastic action, but it seems like that's the way these types of films are made these days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Do YOU think it is bad that the Jurassic World films are bombastic?   Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:05 pm

@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
At this point, I'd prefer a darker, more realistic film, but at the time of Jurassic World's release, I think a big, loud bombastic thrill ride with tons of fan service was exactly what the doctor ordered to rinse the bad taste of JP3 out of people's mouths.

I actually agree with this...mostly. It needed to be a trill ride, but at the same time, I do wish that it had been slightly smarter.

@Dr. Wu wrote:
I do like Jurassic World and Fallen Kingdom but mostly prefer the more realistic tone in Jurassic Park and The Lost World (Jurassic Park 3 doesn't get bombastic however I feel it was the beginning of the change of tone). The new trilogy has definitely taken a more bombastic approach but is that bad? Both Jurassic World and Fallen Kingdom made over a billion dollars so the trilogy does for sure has an audience. They are different and I think they were mostly designed for getting new fans and than for us longtime fans.

So in my opinion it's a yes and no answer as I don't think it's bad as it's getting more fans to the franchise but yes as the days of the more realistic Jurassic Park are over and that's sad to say. But what is your opinion on this?

@Robotpo wrote:
I've been thinking about the difference between struggling to avoid going over a cliff (TLW) VS going over a cliff and emerging unscathed (FK). This seems to embody the different between the older JP films and new JW movies - I prefer the old, Spielbergian suspense as opposed to bombastic action, but it seems like that's the way these types of films are made these days.

But how much of this is due to the fact that the fanbase doesn't demand that this new trilogy is smarter and realistic as a collective whole/overwhelming majority? Not demanding better=getting the same style of...whatever it is. Sorry, but this franchise was NEVER meant to be F&F with dinosaurs.

I have to say this, saying that 'the new direction isn't for new fans' to me is code for "We're going to screw over the old fans for the sake of being hip and new." That hasn't worked for Star Trek, Star Wars, or the comic book branch of Marvel. It also hasn't worked for the DCEU version of Superman, either.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trexbreakout
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Do YOU think it is bad that the Jurassic World films are bombastic?   Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Ive been thinking about this too lately. To me, its like the original trilogy (including 3) were sci fi thrillers, yet the new trilogy are action blockbusters. Same as the terminator franchise from the 3rd film.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Do YOU think it is bad that the Jurassic World films are bombastic?   Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:13 pm

I know what you mean. Some scenes in JW and FK were a little too unrealistic for my tastes, but unfortunately, general audiences don't have patience for slow-burn movies like the original JP anymore. So I wouldn't hold my breath that it'll change.

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Do YOU think it is bad that the Jurassic World films are bombastic?   Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:30 pm

@TheRexMan22 wrote:
I know what you mean. Some scenes in JW and FK were a little too unrealistic for my tastes, but unfortunately, general audiences don't have patience for slow-burn movies like the original JP anymore. So I wouldn't hold my breath that it'll change.  

They did for Godzilla 2014 and the first 2 Avengers movies. If it's made well enough, has a good story, and stays faithful to whatever the movie is about, then the slow burn style does still work.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Do YOU think it is bad that the Jurassic World films are bombastic?   Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Yeah but with Avengers, even the slower scenes are interesting because... it's superheroes, and everyone loves superheroes. Whereas, with JP, it's just some scientists talking about DNA and whatnot. My point is, anyone outside of the JP loop isn't going to find that stuff very engaging.
Godzilla 2014... not sure how they got away with that. Maybe 'cause Brian Cranston was in it? ;p

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do YOU think it is bad that the Jurassic World films are bombastic?   

Back to top Go down

Do YOU think it is bad that the Jurassic World films are bombastic?
Page 1 of 1