Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeAbout UsJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2019 10:14 pm

Just watched battle at big rock. Pretty neat and I really laughed out loud at the end montage

The effects were very good for a short and I don’t mean to prematurely judge. But I hope the actual movie gives us a good reason the government is allowing these animals to live the same as a bear lives in a park(if that’s the case). An Allosaurus randomly roaming around in the red woods is a huge deal. Wouldn’t the woods/Park be closed? Again not trying to be negative but I’m super curious on this plot point.

All in all I enjoyed it. I really wish we had multiple shorts tbh or a longer one
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2019 11:52 pm

Oh wow, that was definitely something. I cant wait to watch it again and again.

Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Spiegel

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2019 12:37 am

Here it is! If you didnt catch it. Make sure you watch through the credits as well!

Pachyrhinosaurus
Hatchling
Hatchling
Pachyrhinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2019 7:26 am

Overall a good short and epilogue from the last film. I liked all the TLW references, especially the way that the allosaurus knocked over the trailer. The music was good, too. It felt more Jurassic than Michael Giacchino's scores. I'd like original themes like these to make their way to the next film. I didn't care much for the way the parents tried to fight off the allosaurus or the crossbow bit. I can't imagine a kid that age being calm enough to make the shot in that situation. The effects were great, though; I couldn't even tell which shots were the teased animatronic or CG.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2019 7:32 am

Yeah Ive already seen people online comparing the crossbow scene to the one in TLW where Kelly beats a Raptor with her gymnastics.

http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2019 7:52 am

Also in case nobody got a good look at the Allosaurus. here's probably one of the better looking shots

Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Allosa10

Back to top Go down
TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2019 7:56 am

Holy crap that was awesome! Eight minutes of everything I've come to expect of a Jurassic Park/World film I have to say and the musical scoring was great too. I hope they find a way to release the scoring done for it somehow either a download.

Back to top Go down
http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/
Spiegel
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Spiegel

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2019 9:30 am

I really enjoyed it, especially the post-credits scenes.

My only 2 real issues with it, it could be longer and just add a little tiny bit more explanation as to the current situation with the dinosaurs. They did sort of hint to something about carnivores and something occurring down south. Just a little tiny bit of explanation where things stand. Still, though, it was fine without it just would have been better to me with it.

Also, the realism factor for human interactions could be slightly stepped up. Some of the things the parents said and did were so corny and bizarre. I can deal with the corny dialogue though. The only thing that got me is why in the world would you not be covering the babies mouth when it started to cry instead of singing to it? Yeah, its probably not the nicest thing to do to a child but its better than becoming a snack.

Anywho, Allosaurus and Nasoceratops looked awesome. The battle was pretty cool. The concept was cool and the post-credit, or mid-credit scenes I suppose, were really cool. I believe they all came from real youtube clips with dinosaurs edited in which really adds to the realism. I really enjoyed it.

The Stegosaurus car wreck scene:

The Mosasaur scene is from Air Jaws New Zealand (Jump to 6:35 to see the actual scene):

Tyrant Lizard
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2019 10:34 am

Really enjoyed the short. I have a couple issues with it, but overall I'd give it a solid 8/10. The Allosaurus in particular was used to great effect, and I loved the homages to The Lost World.

Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
Robotpo
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Robotpo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2019 12:21 pm

That was fun! I did think a lot of the dialogue was clunky and expositional though.

I wonder who was cruelly filming the girl being attacked by Compies instead of helping her! Laughing

I hope the new version of the TLW theme from the end credits is released online, that was my favorite part.

Here's a podcast featuring Colin Trevorrow on BaBR:
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/empire-podcast-live-colin-trevorrow-jurassic-world-battle-big-rock/
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2019 12:28 pm

I thought that the actual short was better then JW:FK.

That being said...

@Troyal1 wrote:
Just watched battle at big rock. Pretty neat and I really laughed out loud at the end montage

But I hope the actual movie gives us a good reason the government is allowing these animals to live the same as a bear lives in a park(if that’s the case). An Allosaurus randomly roaming around in the red woods is a huge deal. Wouldn’t the woods/Park be closed? Again not trying to be negative but I’m super curious on this plot point.

This. The credits scenes only solidified my questions as to how the government would allow the dinosaurs to willy-nilly roam around without getting wiped out. I mean if dinosaurs can be made with ease, then that would mean that they wouldn't be really endangered speices. And even if they did, a millions cases of that little kid being attacked would basically force the government to impliment anti-dinosaur policies.

Overall 6.5/10

EDIT: Can't even try to be fair or voice an opinion without getting neg-repped anymore, huh?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Robotpo
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Robotpo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Even though it was directed by Trevorrow, visually it was much closer to FK. I gives me hope that Colin was learned a thing or two about lighting and atmosphere from Bayona (and will apply them to JW3).
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2019 7:47 pm

The thing I liked most about the short was how beautifully the Allosaurus was implemented. Earlier in the thread you'll see that the design itself isn't my favorite design in the world, but the way they used the lighting to partially keep the Allo hidden really helped the atmosphere of the scene (and likely helped hide some of the more obvious CGI as well). I really hope they take more of an approach like this in the next film, rather than have Rexy pose for the camera every time she's on screen.

Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
Robotpo
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Robotpo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Pretty good article:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2480375/why-battle-at-big-rock-has-me-excited-for-jurassic-world-3
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 10:55 pm

@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
The thing I liked most about the short was how beautifully the Allosaurus was implemented. Earlier in the thread you'll see that the design itself isn't my favorite design in the world, but the way they used the lighting to partially keep the Allo hidden really helped the atmosphere of the scene (and likely helped hide some of the more obvious CGI as well). I really hope they take more of an approach like this in the next film, rather than have Rexy pose for the camera every time she's on screen.

This. I was quite surprised to learn the cinematography was done by the dude who did 300 considering how subdued and mysterious it felt.

Unfortunately we have the guy back from the first JW doing the cinematography for JW3, but hopefully they have taken notes from the Bayona camp on atmosphere. Lighting and shadows are important. JW is far from ugly but it’s simply too clean in my book.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2019 7:43 am

@Robotpo wrote:
Pretty good article:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2480375/why-battle-at-big-rock-has-me-excited-for-jurassic-world-3

Better than Screen Rant's tweet on how a short film was better than both JW movies....

Back to top Go down
TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2019 10:14 am

I literally take nothing Screen Rant says seriously anymore. It helps make that whole "I'm hating things because they are new" thing entirely trendy and socially acceptable. In itself though it just becomes a matter of click bait and nothing more unfortunately and like the jaded movie fan BS it is just as tired and old. It's the same reason for my issues with "The Mary Sue" as well too admit.

Back to top Go down
http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/
JVM
Hatchling
Hatchling
JVM

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2019 6:05 am

If someone hates the newer Jurassic World movies, this short is garbage...
...but I'm in the minority that's enjoyed the newer films, so I found it pretty fun for what it was. It packed the basic spirit of these films into less than ten minutes in a way I didn't think possible, and that alone made it pretty satisfying. I thought the humans were handled as well as they could be in a modern production. Maybe the crossbow foreshadowing was a bit heavy, but I know if it wasn't, ScreenRant or someone else would be questioning the 'plot hole' of where it came from.

Nasutoceratops is a fun new dinosaur species, too; maybe not a choice I might have made but it was a new dinosaur for me when we found out it was coming. It's becoming clear to me Trevorrow has a soft spot for Ceratopsians.

@Dead2009 wrote:
Yeah Ive already seen people online comparing the crossbow scene to the one in TLW where Kelly beats a Raptor with her gymnastics.
Although neither scene's particularly bothered me, I can certainly see the comparison. I kind of immediately found myself thinking 'this is probably going to bother someone'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock   Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jurassic World's Battle at Big Rock
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2