Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarAbout UsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inJurassic-Pedia

Share | 

Jurassic World: How does it hold up?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Levine
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:31 am

Its now been almost 2 years since the release of Jurassic World, the long-awaited revival of a franchise that had been trapped in development hell since 2001. We were shocked and awed on that fateful June day, rushing into our local theaters to see a film sure to be the best movie of the summer.
Now that the hype has boiled down and a new film is on the horizon, what are your current thoughts on the fourth Jurassic film? Looking past the hypegoggles and actually looking at it, is it as good as it was during release? Or is it just an average addition to the franchise (perhaps opening the door to something greater)?

"A creature of the future, built with pieces of the past!"
"This is the most dangerous creature that ever walked the Earth!"
"That thing cannot leave this building."

Last edited by Levine on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:13 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://natsukis.meme.bakery
Lythronax
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:36 pm

It's a good laugh, and it's thoroughly watchable - two things neither TLW or JPIII can really be in my eyes. The both of them are dull, full of annoying characters (aside from Roland because it's Roland) and I find myself skipping to the bits I wanna see. In contrast, I can sit down and have a blast with JW for the full 2 hours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:16 pm

JW is nowhere near a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination. And my nostalgia for the first 3 holds things back no matter what.

But i really wish they had picked a more experienced director, and done some other things differently. I feel like the movie didn't make nearly a big deal enough about the fact that a park was open and we didn't see nearly enough of it. I felt like we didn't get to enjoy the park before shit goes down. I also felt they severely mishandled the old park. That could have been an extraordinary moment but i was thoroughly disappointed. (No Dilo lol).

But it did some stuff right. Claire turned out to be a great character and i thought she was way better than Owen. The raptor training wasn't a disaster like i pictured in my head. I liked how the end clearly defines and sets up a place for a sequel to go. I loved the Indominus.

I like JW but i feel that even in the good parts there is missed potential many times. I don't understand why people call it terrible or anything like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:34 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
But i really wish they had picked a more experienced director, and done some other things differently. I feel like the movie didn't make nearly a big deal enough about the fact that a park was open and we didn't see nearly enough of it. I felt like we didn't get to enjoy the park before shit goes down. I also felt they severely mishandled the old park. That could have been an extraordinary moment but i was thoroughly disappointed. (No Dilo lol).

I like JW but i feel that even in the good parts there is missed potential many times. I don't understand why people call it terrible or anything like that.

As time has gone by, I've become one of those people who's liked JW far more then I really should. It's just that I wish it had been far better then what we got. I have said multiple times that JP3 was made for the sake of a JP trilogy and that JW was made for the sake of getting the monkey-all those delays-off Universal's back. Did it need to be nostalgic, yes, but it was a little too much. And I would have liked to seen/heard something about the Sorna movies still being canon. Say what you want about TFA, but at least it ensured that the prequels were still canon via Kylo Ren's one line about a clone army being more reliable then the way The First Order was doing.

As for the scales vs feathers debate. I'll defend that raptors being scaled since it would have come too much of a shock for the GA and fans to see feathered raptors. Sorry, but saying 'the science demands it' without having any form of backstory doesn't fit well. They tried that in JP3 with the Spino, and look what happened. However, I do wish the Gallimimus were feathered and that if new theropods, like Deinocheirus and Albertosaurus, were introduced, that they would be feathered. In other words, keep the old ones scaled and new ones feathered.

I will give JW this. It restored my love for dinosaurs at a level I haven't enjoyed/felt since  2000. And I will never take that away from JW.

Here's my order

1. Jurassic Park
2. The Lost World
3. Jurassic World

Junkpile: JP3.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Island Queen
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:56 pm

I've always loved Jurassic World, and don't get all the hate. It had everything I loved about the original (even though it took me a while to get used to the idea; familiar place, but different). I just wish we got to see more of the ruins of the original park, which would probably be my only complaint, since I had no problem with Zara's death, Claire's heels or any of the CGI (which seem to be the main things people seem to be constantly complaining about. If Claire can run away from Rexy in heels, then good for her, though don't expect me to do it, since those things nearly killed me last Halloween).

My rating of Jurassic World hasn't changed, which has always been an 8.5, just one point below the original, which I rate a 9 (I rarely rate a movie I really like as a perfect ten, the highest I'll go will be a 9). The sequel will probably be either before or after Jurassic World, since I'll doubt I'll like it better than the original. Very Happy

stormy_lass from Jurassic Park Legacy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:24 pm

Overall I rate it a 7/10. It's a perfectly enjoyable movie that leans a little to heavily on the first film. As for the pros, I think the raptors were handled very well and it was quite relieving. This could have been a total disaster but the filmmakers handled it in a believable and respectful way IMO. The pacing was good. I would have liked to see more of the Old Park. The music was excellent. The CGI was quite impressive, but is it just me, or do the raptors look kinda off? I dare say the effects in the original movie were more realistic (except for the Brachiosaurus.) and hold up even to this day. Anyway, other things I enjoyed were the performances (even Hoskins.) All of them were fantastic IMO. One scene I really enjoy is the Indominus breakout scene. It's so intense and frightening.
But as I sit here and try to think of cons... none really come to mind. There are the obvious ones like poor characters, lack of Dilophosaurs, occasionally dodgy CGI, a shallow yet charismatic villain, not enough of the Old Park, and the dreaded high heels, which I honestly didn't get upset over. Overall Jurassic World was good fun. I was enthralled watching it in the theater and it's an experience I doubt I'll forget soon.

View user profile
1morey
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:49 am

The more and more I watch it, the more it has started to feel like a Jurassic Park movie.

I think the 14 year gap really shows between the original three movies and Jurassic World in terms of cinematography, and how movies are filmed nowadays.

The soundtrack took me a little to get used to since it is a bit different than John Williams' (or Don Davis') scores. But the actual JP motifs, and some of the pieces used in action sequences felt closer to John Williams. Plus it was unique in having a theme for the Indominus, whereas the previous films did not have themes for the dinosaurs.

All in all, I really enjoyed it then, but I enjoy it even more now.

I think my only issue is the shape of Isla Nublar.

And I know people have issues with JW being a little more futuristic with technology than what is currently possible, but in a universe where DNA extraction and cloning of prehistoric creatures is possible, the gyrospheres, the high-tech touchscreens, taser-rifles, and holograms don't bother me.

Especially since with the gyrospheres they built an actual prop in certain scenes, with a second prop being just the seat and the glass being CG'd in.) So, in theory the JW gyrosphere is plausible in reality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lythronax
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:02 pm

@TheRexMan22 wrote:
or do the raptors look kinda off?

All of the dinosaurs, aside from the rex, were reasonably robust and chubby compared to the other 3 films. The first 3 suffered from "shrinkwrapping", which is where the skull fenestrae and the contours of the skeleton stuck out as if they were emaciated. It was a very 80s and 90s way of reconstructing dinosaurs, to exemplify the modern birdlike shift in dinosaur palaeontology.

Compare fat-faced beefyboi Blue here

To this skinnymalinky from JP

Last edited by Lythronax on Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:04 pm

@1morey wrote:
The more and more I watch it, the more it has started to feel like a Jurassic Park movie.

I think the 14 year gap really shows between the original three movies and Jurassic World in terms of cinematography, and how movies are filmed nowadays.

The soundtrack took me a little to get used to since it is a bit different than John Williams' (or Don Davis') scores. But the actual JP motifs, and some of the pieces used in action sequences felt closer to John Williams. Plus it was unique in having a theme for the Indominus, whereas the previous films did not have themes for the dinosaurs.

All in all, I really enjoyed it then, but I enjoy it even more now.

I think my only issue is the shape of Isla Nublar.

And I know people have issues with JW being a little more futuristic with technology than what is currently possible, but in a universe where DNA extraction and cloning of prehistoric creatures is possible, the gyrospheres, the high-tech touchscreens, taser-rifles, and holograms don't bother me.

Especially since with the gyrospheres they built an actual prop in certain scenes, with a second prop being just the seat and the glass being CG'd in.) So, in theory the JW gyrosphere is plausible in reality.

The Raptors and the Spinosaurus both had their own themes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:49 am

@Lythronax wrote:
@TheRexMan22 wrote:
or do the raptors look kinda off?

All of the dinosaurs, aside from the rex, were reasonably robust and chubby compared to the other 3 films. The first 3 suffered from "shrinkwrapping", which is where the skull fenestrae and the contours of the skeleton stuck out as if they were emaciated. It was a very 80s and 90s way of reconstructing dinosaurs, to exemplify the modern birdlike shift in dinosaur palaeontology.

Compare fat-faced beefyboi Blue here

To this skinnymalinky from JP
Ahhh, thank you. I never realized that before. Idea Razz
I also think something about the CGI was off. The creatures look... shiny.

View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:14 pm

@TheRexMan22 wrote:
I also think something about the CGI was off. The creatures look... shiny.

I didn't think the CGI was as bad as some say it is, but I do agree that there was simply too much of it.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
View user profile
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:00 pm

@TheRexMan22 wrote:
Overall I rate it a 7/10. It's a perfectly enjoyable movie that leans a little to heavily on the first film. As for the pros, I think the raptors were handled very well and it was quite relieving. This could have been a total disaster but the filmmakers handled it in a believable and respectful way IMO. The pacing was good. I would have liked to see more of the Old Park. The music was excellent. The CGI was quite impressive, but is it just me, or do the raptors look kinda off? I dare say the effects in the original movie were more realistic (except for the Brachiosaurus.) and hold up even to this day. Anyway, other things I enjoyed were the performances (even Hoskins.) All of them were fantastic IMO. One scene I really enjoy is the Indominus breakout scene. It's so intense and frightening.
But as I sit here and try to think of cons... none really come to mind. There are the obvious ones like poor characters, lack of Dilophosaurs, occasionally dodgy CGI, a shallow yet charismatic villain, not enough of the Old Park, and the dreaded high heels, which I honestly didn't get upset over. Overall Jurassic World was good fun. I was enthralled watching it in the theater and it's an experience I doubt I'll forget soon.

My same exact thought on the movie. But I'd give it 8 instead of 10.
I agree that D'onofrio's performance was so good despite of the shallow cartoonish character (but with charisma anyway, thanks to the actor). Many people still confuses actor with character, which sometimes are two different things.

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott B
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:37 pm

If weighing in the long wait for it the movie is a disappointment. doesn't mean that's bad on the face of it, i really think only a movie on par with JP itself would have been anything but a disappointment. Without taking the wait into account the movie is merely average or SLIGHTLY above average. 6/10 at best.

Initially when it came out I gave it two ratings, a rating for it solely as a film in the Jurassic Park franchise and a rating for it as a generic dinosaur action blockbuster. The latter had a much more forgiving rating of 7/10 the former was not so good, around a mere 4.5/10 or so. I stand by them as I think the movie is an incredibly poor example of a film in the vein of JP or even TLW but it is enjoyable as a standalone film. Chris Pratt and Irrfan Khan save the film in their good acting (Nick Robinson was probably the 3rd best in my mind) but I still find Simpkins, D'onofrio, Howard and the crew in the control room fairly insufferable. A better character director would have really helped out. Just as I rex is not a dinosaur film, Jurassic Park this is not. It is an ok dinosaur film though and I hold out more hope for better sequels that properly return to the originals in a way that isn't purely nostalgic in nature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:15 pm

@Scott B wrote:
If weighing in the long wait for it the movie is a disappointment. doesn't mean that's bad on the face of it, i really think only a movie on par with JP itself would have been anything but a disappointment. Without taking the wait into account the movie is merely average or SLIGHTLY above average. 6/10 at best.

Initially when it came out I gave it two ratings, a rating for it solely as a film in the Jurassic Park franchise and a rating for it as a generic dinosaur action blockbuster. The latter had a much more forgiving rating of 7/10 the former was not so good, around a mere 4.5/10 or so. I stand by them as I think the movie is an incredibly poor example of a film in the vein of JP or even TLW but it is enjoyable as a standalone film. Chris Pratt and Irrfan Khan save the film in their good acting (Nick Robinson was probably the 3rd best in my mind) but I still find Simpkins, D'onofrio, Howard and the crew in the control room fairly insufferable. A better character director would have really helped out. Just as I rex is not a dinosaur film, Jurassic Park this is not.  It is an ok dinosaur film though and I hold out more hope for better sequels that properly return to the originals in a way that isn't purely nostalgic in nature.

Just curious, what do you think about JW:FK? Are you more optimistic for that then you are with the first JW movie?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LostWorld
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:46 am

I remember that my initial viewing was quite entertaining. A new Jurassic Park film for the first time in fourteen years had me excited (even though I didn't get around to JPIII until 2012). Not only that, but this film featured a fully-functional theme park for the first time(!)... how cool is that?

On subsequent views, this film really falls apart for me. The entertainment factor by itself is way up there if I'm not really thinking about a sensible narrative, but this thing is a mess on closer inspection, imo. Now, I enjoy the first 30-35 minutes, but once the I.rex breaks out the film goes off the rails more and more. It took for that creature to have amazing powers of foresight, cunning, and super over-powered durability to make the events of the film work. However, pretty much every shot of the I.rex looked really good -- you can see that a lot of work was put into it.

The raptors CGI looked mostly ugly, imo, but most of the actual animations looked nice and smooth. I like attention to detail, so seeing each individual raptor correctly rendered in any of their scenes is a nice touch. The film didn't lose track of which raptor was which, wherever they were.

*On the topic of raptors -- did anyone else find it strange that the four raptors ran quite some distance to go track the I.rex, but then two of them were all the way back where Claire was almost immediately after slaughtering the InGen mercs... ?      

I don't care much for the general look of the film. Most of the herbivores on the field seemed to share the same color scheme (even in broad daylight), and the general picture had some odd tone to it (perhaps a shortcut around having to make each herbivore having varied colors,patterns,etc.). However, the overhead shots of the Jurassic World park looked beautiful. And as with all JP films, I like seeing the lush locations and dense jungles/forests.

The characters are mostly fun throughout, but I can't help but shake my head when Owen and Claire are out looking for Zach and Gray. At some point, Owen and Claire had abandoned their service vehicle and just ran across various locales of Isla Nublar on foot like it was nothing (Claire in high heels) before conveniently finding an ATV just sitting there waiting for them. If anything, it's so bad that it's funny.

The Gentle Giants petting zoo scene makes me cringe. The same for whenever Karen is onscreen. And the herds merrily galloping alongside the gyrosphere when Zach and Gray are out on the plains was cartoon-ish. haha

Masrani's death was odd as well. It was built up as some cool scene, complete with triumphant music, only for he and the helicopter go down almost right away. It seemed off and anti-climactic.

The flying reptiles breakout is just bad, bad, and more bad. Terrible execution to create an immediate emergency situation around the shopping district.  

Flying reptiles: "Hey, we're free to go anywhere and do anything now. I know(!), let's fly out of our way to go straight for and attack all of the humans right away!"

Poor "Rexy". It's crazy how much better her CGI work looked in the original compared to here, for the most part. Her aging that much is not a good excuse. :p

A couple things that give me a little grin: The guy on the intercom about the "we got two Triceratops going at it..." -- he doesn't seem to be enjoying his job so much. And, I find the Ankylosaurus' sounds funny.  Laughing  

Finally, I wonder about the safety of the park. That Mosasaur could've leaped up onto that railing at any time and took down some guests if they weren't paying attention, as seen when it got hold of the I.rex.

Oh yeah, all of the events of this film took place in one day. Zach and Gray visit the park for the first time. Owen makes great progress with his raptors because the narrative needed him to. Masrani happens to be at the park, when he apparently does much traveling around the world. The I.rex is near completely ready for thrill-seeking guests to observe, but pulls one over advanced security and escapes. Way too much plot convenience going on, but it's still a stupid fun time.

So, after some time -- and more views -- it's pretty much a toss up in comparison with JPIII for my least favorite films in the series. Depending on how I'm feeling, if I want a more grounded story with some nice moments and slower pacing, I'd go for JPIII. If I feel like seeing an entertaining film featuring a dino theme park come to life that has a comic book-esque feel, I'll go for JW. If I had to throw a number rating at JW, it would be somewhere around a 4, I guess. About the same for JPIII, which I didn't initially like at all. The rating may be low, but I can still mostly enjoy all of the films. Hey, they're JP movies!

My order would go:

Jurassic Park: 9-9.5 (A landmark film as far as special effects go. The writing, acting, and pacing are pretty much perfect. The soundtrack - enough said)

The Lost World: Jurassic Park: 6.5 (Has some patchy editing issues (and exploding flying cars!), but it's my favorite in the series despite the final thirty minutes terribly executed goofiness. My favorite portrayal of the animals is found here. The soundtrack - enough said)

Tied:

Jurassic Park III: 3.5-4 (It did Raptors and flying reptiles scene better than JW -- pretty much any dino scene in general is better here. Human character scenes were more genuine as well. Worse big bad dino between Spino and I.rex is debatable - both films tried way too hard to sell them as the next big thing)

Jurassic World: 3.5-4 (The theme park has been open and thriving for years, and then the entire thing goes to hell in the span of a single day because of ONE creature that ceaselessly kills everything with ease. "Rexy" coming out of her paddock may be the best scene in the movie. I'm not fond of hybrids or the military meddling)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: How does it hold up?   

Back to top Go down

Jurassic World: How does it hold up?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Franchise :: Film Universe-
Jump to: