Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)
 
Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inJurassic-Pedia

Share | 
 

 Trevorrow vs Johnston

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Trevorrow vs Johnston for Jurassic World 3?
Colin Trevorrow
73%
 73% [ 8 ]
Joe Johnston
27%
 27% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11
 

AuthorMessage
Six-Foot Turkey
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 709
Points : 1139
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 22
Location : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:05 pm

Just out of curiosity, if the choice of directors for Jurassic World 3 was between Joe Johnston and Colin Trevorrow, who would you pick? Also, If Trevorrow directed Jurassic Park 3 and Johnston directed Jurassic World, how different do you think they would be?


Last edited by Six-Foot Turkey on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 574
Points : 2695
Reputation : 16
Join date : 2013-01-12
Age : 17
Location : Texas.

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:38 pm

Indominus kills the T. rex in Johnston's Jurassic World, fans continue to hold a gripe for 16 years. Razz

_______________
"The public has an appetite for anything about imagination - anything that is as far away from reality as is creatively possible." -Steven Spielberg
"In the information society, nobody thinks. We expected to banish paper, but we actually banished thought." -Ian Malcolm
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://natsukis.meme.bakery
Herrerasaurus
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
avatar

Posts : 405
Points : 787
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2017-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:40 pm

I'd pick trevorrow for jw3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3907
Points : 4785
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:08 pm

This is a good question. Johnston was pushed around by Horner to the point where Horner was basically co-director. What makes it worse is that Johnston had a few movies that he directed under his belt so how he was pushed around so much makes it slightly worse. Was it all his fault, no but much of it was. With Trevorrow being even far more green when he made Jurassic World, I honestly think that JP3 could have been even worse.

With Johnston at the helm of JW...who knows at this point? His reputation is so toxic by most of the fanbase that it's impossible for the fanbase as a collective whole to think that he could have made JW a better movie.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1445
Points : 2235
Reputation : 51
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:12 pm

I’d probably pick Joe, I think with a good script he could do decent/well.

But I wouldn’t be anywhere close to hopeful or happy with either to be completely honest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 552
Points : 1296
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 25
Location : Melbourne, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Neither, Bayona again or Matt Reeves for JW3/JP6 please! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3907
Points : 4785
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:20 pm

@dance2nite wrote:
Neither, Bayona again or Matt Reeves for JW3/JP6 please! Cool

ALL. OF. THIS.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1134
Points : 1939
Reputation : 56
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:51 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@dance2nite wrote:
Neither, Bayona again or Matt Reeves for JW3/JP6 please! Cool

ALL. OF. THIS.

DITTO.

Although, if I had to choose I would probably pick Trevorrow since he is more involved with this new iteration of the franchise. And I think the experience gained, as well as knowing what he came close to attaining with Star Wars if he hadn't fumbled hard with Book of Henry, has to be something that would inform his direction. While Johnston has had the better track record and more beloved films under his belt, its hard to see him getting back into the Jurassic saga after getting burned by both the haphazard production and fan/critical backlash. He is more experienced, but I think bringing him back now would cause an atmosphere of awkwardness for bringing him back.

_______________
"Life will find a way."

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3907
Points : 4785
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:09 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@dance2nite wrote:
Neither, Bayona again or Matt Reeves for JW3/JP6 please! Cool

ALL. OF. THIS.

DITTO.

Although, if I had to choose I would probably pick Trevorrow since he is more involved with this new iteration of the franchise. And I think the experience gained, as well as knowing what he came close to attaining with Star Wars if he hadn't fumbled hard with Book of Henry, has to be something that would inform his direction. While Johnston has had the better track record and more beloved films under his belt, its hard to see him getting back into the Jurassic saga after getting burned by both the haphazard production and fan/critical backlash. He is more experienced, but I think bringing him back now would cause an atmosphere of awkwardness for bringing him back.

Johnston wasn't even in the video game Lego: Jurassic World. That's how much the fanbase hates him. They'd never allow him to come back and he knows it.

As for Trevorrow, ever since he got fired from Star Wars 9, I've been of the belief that he was rushed too fast. Not only that, but since he was so green when JW was made, it made it easier for Universal to push him around. Given how the nostalgia goggles are off for most fans, I honestly don't think he'd be welcomed back as the director as much as you think.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six-Foot Turkey
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 709
Points : 1139
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 22
Location : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:31 pm

I saw The Book of Henry. Didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as some say it was. Although, I wouldn't really feel like watching it again and the tonal shifts are really dramatic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1205
Points : 3558
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:13 pm

@dance2nite wrote:
Neither, Bayona again or Matt Reeves for JW3/JP6 please! Cool

I would say I'd have to see JW2 in theaters before I can tell whether or not he did a better job then Trevorrow. Just a bit of my personal 'I have to see it for myself' mentality.

_______________
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1445
Points : 2235
Reputation : 51
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:44 pm

@Sickle_Claw wrote:
@dance2nite wrote:
Neither, Bayona again or Matt Reeves for JW3/JP6 please! Cool

I would say I'd have to see JW2 in theaters before I can tell whether or not he did a better job then Trevorrow. Just a bit of my personal 'I have to see it for myself' mentality.

This. Bayona’s film is unlikely to be of lower quality than JW but still guys, we haven’t even seen one moving image yet lol.

I want Spielberg to come back. I know fantasy or Science fiction hasn’t exactly been his big thing recently but I’d love to see him close it out.

If I got to choose ANYONE though it would be someone who would probably never agree.

Matt Reeves is awesome as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1205
Points : 3558
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:12 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
@Sickle_Claw wrote:
@dance2nite wrote:
Neither, Bayona again or Matt Reeves for JW3/JP6 please! Cool

I would say I'd have to see JW2 in theaters before I can tell whether or not he did a better job then Trevorrow. Just a bit of my personal 'I have to see it for myself' mentality.

This. Bayona’s film is unlikely to be of lower quality than JW but still guys, we haven’t even seen one moving image yet lol.

I want Spielberg to come back. I know fantasy or Science fiction hasn’t exactly been his big thing recently but I’d love to see him close it out.

If I got to choose ANYONE though it would be someone who would probably never agree.

Matt Reeves is awesome as well.
Agreed, I would need to see the trailer. I am not sure, but I think Matt Reeves definitely hangs around Colin, and Bayona so he might be a good choice.

_______________
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3907
Points : 4785
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:55 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
I want Spielberg to come back. I know fantasy or Science fiction hasn’t exactly been his big thing recently but I’d love to see him close it out.

Spielberg only came back and as more hands on for JW because of how Trevorrow was so green. Also, if he stopped caring about the Transformers franchise after the first movie, then why should we think he would care about closing out the JP franchise? The fact that he sat back and watched the Transformers franchise implode and how he did the same thing when Universal, Horner, Johnston, and the scriptwriters crippled the KP franchise via JP3 6 years earlier is enough proof that he doesn't care as much as he once did.

Also, outside of his historical movies, he just doesn't have it anymore.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 552
Points : 1296
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 25
Location : Melbourne, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:39 am

Sorry guys don't need a trailer or even too see the film to know Bayona's Jurassic will be better than Colin's, from everything we have heard & seen from filming etc this film will be better than JW!! Wink Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1134
Points : 1939
Reputation : 56
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:45 am

@Rhedosaurus wrote:


Johnston wasn't even in the video game Lego: Jurassic World. That's how much the fanbase hates him. They'd never allow him to come back and he knows it.

As for Trevorrow, ever since he got fired from Star Wars 9, I've been of the belief that he was rushed too fast. Not only that, but since he was so green when JW was made, it made it easier for Universal to push him around. Given how the nostalgia goggles are off for most fans, I honestly don't think he'd be welcomed back as the director as much as you think.

I do agree that after The Book of Henry and being fired from Star Wars Episode 9, no one wants to see Trevorrow back to direct the third/final JP film. I didn't necessarily say he'd be "welcomed" back, but if I had to make a tough choice between the two I would pick him for the reasons stated above.

_______________
"Life will find a way."

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Six-Foot Turkey
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 709
Points : 1139
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 22
Location : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:22 am

Just putting this out there, but Bayona's new film Morrowbone (He is producer) has bad reviews.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six-Foot Turkey
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 709
Points : 1139
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 22
Location : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:15 am

I made a little poll, just letting you know!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1205
Points : 3558
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:08 pm

@Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Just putting this out there, but Bayona's new film Morrowbone (He is producer) has bad reviews.
Huh, gonna have to see this movie for myself. Wonder if I could rent it from redbox or whatever.

_______________
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1134
Points : 1939
Reputation : 56
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:45 pm

@Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Just putting this out there, but Bayona's new film Morrowbone (He is producer) has bad reviews.

Honestly, this doesn't worry me. Different director, different writer, and what appears to be a relatively inconsequential project (I didn't even know this film was coming out a week ago).

Good directors get attached to executive produce films all the time, sometimes they're good sometimes they're bad. I don't take it as a sign for trouble for JW: Fallen Kingdom.

_______________
"Life will find a way."

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Six-Foot Turkey
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 709
Points : 1139
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 22
Location : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:22 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Just putting this out there, but Bayona's new film Morrowbone (He is producer) has bad reviews.

Honestly, this doesn't worry me. Different director, different writer, and what appears to be a relatively inconsequential project (I didn't even know this film was coming out a week ago).

Good directors get attached to executive produce films all the time, sometimes they're good sometimes they're bad. I don't take it as a sign for trouble for JW: Fallen Kingdom.

True, however, as the producer, Bayona will have approved a script and a cut of the film before signing it off as 'good to go'. He must've thought it was good enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
avatar

Posts : 790
Points : 3256
Reputation : 48
Join date : 2012-04-06
Age : 25
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 pm

@Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Just putting this out there, but Bayona's new film Morrowbone (He is producer) has bad reviews.
To be fair, Spielberg isn't a very good producer either. His best work has always been from the director's chair.

_______________
SOMETHING HAS SURVIVED
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3907
Points : 4785
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:33 pm

@CT-1138 wrote:
@Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Just putting this out there, but Bayona's new film Morrowbone (He is producer) has bad reviews.
To be fair, Spielberg isn't a very good producer either. His best work has always been from the director's chair.

Are we talking about being a hands-on producer or being hands-off like he is as an Executive Producer via JP3 and the Transformers series?

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1134
Points : 1939
Reputation : 56
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:35 am

One of my FB friends as a saying, "A bad director came make a good script bad, but a good director can't make a bad script good."

More likely this director took a swing at the material and missed the mark, but that's a fairly human flaw amongst creative people. It doesn't make me worried for Bayona, like I said.

_______________
"Life will find a way."

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
owenpratt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
avatar

Posts : 466
Points : 1260
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23
Location : Italy

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:13 pm

I would like to see Matt Reeves for Jurassic World 3, but if I had to choose between Trevorrow and Johnston... Mmm, Johnston IMO is better with the camera, but Trevorrow has undoubtely more passion about the project, and well... while Johnston almost let the franchise go extinct, Trevorrow managed to get it back to life. I actually like JP3 though, and despite its numerous flaws I always enjoy it, and I think it had the right JP feel to it, but sadly the wrong script and some not very likeable character.

So I'd choose Trevorrow, but I wouldn't be mad if it was Johnston, because he's still a very capable director.

Anyway, we didn't see Fallen Kingdom yet, but it's kinda obvious that Bayona is (so far) a better director than Trevorrow, because of the bigger experience and the previous movies.
Safety Not Guaranteed was very nice, but it was the script and actors that made it, not much the directing. The Orphanage, The Impossible and A Monster Calls have all a great directing, excellent work of camera and brilliant use of cinematography.
Trevorrow has a lot of passion in his projects, he has a talent in choosing actors (he chose Pratt before he became famous, same with Aubrey Plaza, Jake Johnson and Jacob Trembley, and he managed to put Bryce Dallas Howard under the spotlight again), and he has some nice visual ideas here and there. But he lacks experience and doesn't really leave the "director signature".

_______________
Jurassic World exists to remind us how very small we are, how new. You can't put a price on that Velociraptor

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six-Foot Turkey
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 709
Points : 1139
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 22
Location : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:45 pm

@owenpratt wrote:
I would like to see Matt Reeves for Jurassic World 3, but if I had to choose between Trevorrow and Johnston... Mmm, Johnston IMO is better with the camera, but Trevorrow has undoubtely more passion about the project, and well... while Johnston almost let the franchise go extinct, Trevorrow managed to get it back to life. I actually like JP3 though, and despite its numerous flaws I always enjoy it, and I think it had the right JP feel to it, but sadly the wrong script and some not very likeable character.

So I'd choose Trevorrow, but I wouldn't be mad if it was Johnston, because he's still a very capable director.

Anyway, we didn't see Fallen Kingdom yet, but it's kinda obvious that Bayona is (so far) a better director than Trevorrow, because of the bigger experience and the previous movies.
Safety Not Guaranteed was very nice, but it was the script and actors that made it, not much the directing. The Orphanage, The Impossible and A Monster Calls have all a great directing, excellent work of camera and brilliant use of cinematography.
Trevorrow has a lot of passion in his projects, he has a talent in choosing actors (he chose Pratt before he became famous, same with Aubrey Plaza, Jake Johnson and Jacob Trembley, and he managed to put Bryce Dallas Howard under the spotlight again), and he has some nice visual ideas here and there. But he lacks experience and doesn't really leave the "director signature".

Have you seen The Book of Henry?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1445
Points : 2235
Reputation : 51
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:38 am

@owenpratt wrote:
I would like to see Matt Reeves for Jurassic World 3, but if I had to choose between Trevorrow and Johnston... Mmm, Johnston IMO is better with the camera, but Trevorrow has undoubtely more passion about the project, and well... while Johnston almost let the franchise go extinct, Trevorrow managed to get it back to life. I actually like JP3 though, and despite its numerous flaws I always enjoy it, and I think it had the right JP feel to it, but sadly the wrong script and some not very likeable character.

So I'd choose Trevorrow, but I wouldn't be mad if it was Johnston, because he's still a very capable director.

Anyway, we didn't see Fallen Kingdom yet, but it's kinda obvious that Bayona is (so far) a better director than Trevorrow, because of the bigger experience and the previous movies.
Safety Not Guaranteed was very nice, but it was the script and actors that made it, not much the directing. The Orphanage, The Impossible and A Monster Calls have all a great directing, excellent work of camera and brilliant use of cinematography.
Trevorrow has a lot of passion in his projects, he has a talent in choosing actors (he chose Pratt before he became famous, same with Aubrey Plaza, Jake Johnson and Jacob Trembley, and he managed to put Bryce Dallas Howard under the spotlight again), and he has some nice visual ideas here and there. But he lacks experience and doesn't really leave the "director signature".

I would still pick Johnston because of his track record so far. JP3 feels more “JP” to me and I think if production wasn’t so rushed to hell it probably would be regarded quite well. With a good script of course.

As far as fans hating Joe? Yes. But I don’t think the majority of the GA would be in a uproar if he returned. Because I don’t think most of them are even really aware of who he is. Sure most of the GA rated JP3 pretty poorly, but let’s not kids ourselves, it’s not exactly like they loved or embraced TLW either.

Most people look at the producer of a movie or however it’s marketed and assume a person involved is the director. Example: most everyone I run into thinks J.J Abrams is the director of both cloverfied films because his name is all over it. People who aren’t big film people don’t think about this stuff as much as we do generally. I think you could market a Joe JW3 with Colin at the forefront of the trailer and most people think it’s him.

I think a lot of JP fans forget that TLW generally isn’t regarded as a fantastic sequel like a lot of us fans do, sadly.

But nobody needs to lose sleep over it. I know this question was purely hypothetical but Joe is not coming back. After Colin got fired from SW I think he has a chance though. Although I hope they pick someone completely different. Keep it fresh.


Last edited by Troyal1 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six-Foot Turkey
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 709
Points : 1139
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 22
Location : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:03 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
@owenpratt wrote:
I would like to see Matt Reeves for Jurassic World 3, but if I had to choose between Trevorrow and Johnston... Mmm, Johnston IMO is better with the camera, but Trevorrow has undoubtely more passion about the project, and well... while Johnston almost let the franchise go extinct, Trevorrow managed to get it back to life. I actually like JP3 though, and despite its numerous flaws I always enjoy it, and I think it had the right JP feel to it, but sadly the wrong script and some not very likeable character.

So I'd choose Trevorrow, but I wouldn't be mad if it was Johnston, because he's still a very capable director.

Anyway, we didn't see Fallen Kingdom yet, but it's kinda obvious that Bayona is (so far) a better director than Trevorrow, because of the bigger experience and the previous movies.
Safety Not Guaranteed was very nice, but it was the script and actors that made it, not much the directing. The Orphanage, The Impossible and A Monster Calls have all a great directing, excellent work of camera and brilliant use of cinematography.
Trevorrow has a lot of passion in his projects, he has a talent in choosing actors (he chose Pratt before he became famous, same with Aubrey Plaza, Jake Johnson and Jacob Trembley, and he managed to put Bryce Dallas Howard under the spotlight again), and he has some nice visual ideas here and there. But he lacks experience and doesn't really leave the "director signature".

I would still pick Johnson because of his track record so far. JP3 feels more “JP” to me and I think if production wasn’t so rushed to hell it probably would be regarded quite well. With a good script of course.

As far as fans hating Joe? Yes. But I don’t think the majority of the GA would be in a uproar if he returned. Because I don’t think most of them are even really aware of who he is. Sure most of the GA rated JP3 pretty poorly, but let’s not kids ourselves, it’s not exactly like they loved or embraced TLW either.

Most people look at the producer of a movie or however it’s marketed and assume a person involved is the director. Example: most everyone I run into thinks J.J Abrams is the director of both cloverfied films because his name is all over it. People who aren’t big film people don’t think about this stuff as much as we do generally. I think you could market a Joe JW3 with Colin at the forefront of the trailer and most people think it’s him.

I think a lot of JP fans forget that TLW generally isn’t regarded as a fantastic sequel like a lot of us fans do, sadly.

But nobody needs to lose sleep over it. I know this question was purely hypothetical but Joe is not coming back. After Colin got fired from SW I think he has a chance though. Although I hope they pick someone completely different. Keep it fresh.

I still don't understand why Jurassic Park 3's Isla Sorna looks so different. It felt like it was on Nublar rather than Sorna.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1205
Points : 3558
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:12 pm

@Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:
@owenpratt wrote:
I would like to see Matt Reeves for Jurassic World 3, but if I had to choose between Trevorrow and Johnston... Mmm, Johnston IMO is better with the camera, but Trevorrow has undoubtely more passion about the project, and well... while Johnston almost let the franchise go extinct, Trevorrow managed to get it back to life. I actually like JP3 though, and despite its numerous flaws I always enjoy it, and I think it had the right JP feel to it, but sadly the wrong script and some not very likeable character.

So I'd choose Trevorrow, but I wouldn't be mad if it was Johnston, because he's still a very capable director.

Anyway, we didn't see Fallen Kingdom yet, but it's kinda obvious that Bayona is (so far) a better director than Trevorrow, because of the bigger experience and the previous movies.
Safety Not Guaranteed was very nice, but it was the script and actors that made it, not much the directing. The Orphanage, The Impossible and A Monster Calls have all a great directing, excellent work of camera and brilliant use of cinematography.
Trevorrow has a lot of passion in his projects, he has a talent in choosing actors (he chose Pratt before he became famous, same with Aubrey Plaza, Jake Johnson and Jacob Trembley, and he managed to put Bryce Dallas Howard under the spotlight again), and he has some nice visual ideas here and there. But he lacks experience and doesn't really leave the "director signature".

I would still pick Johnson because of his track record so far. JP3 feels more “JP” to me and I think if production wasn’t so rushed to hell it probably would be regarded quite well. With a good script of course.

As far as fans hating Joe? Yes. But I don’t think the majority of the GA would be in a uproar if he returned. Because I don’t think most of them are even really aware of who he is. Sure most of the GA rated JP3 pretty poorly, but let’s not kids ourselves, it’s not exactly like they loved or embraced TLW either.

Most people look at the producer of a movie or however it’s marketed and assume a person involved is the director. Example: most everyone I run into thinks J.J Abrams is the director of both cloverfied films because his name is all over it. People who aren’t big film people don’t think about this stuff as much as we do generally. I think you could market a Joe JW3 with Colin at the forefront of the trailer and most people think it’s him.

I think a lot of JP fans forget that TLW generally isn’t regarded as a fantastic sequel like a lot of us fans do, sadly.

But nobody needs to lose sleep over it. I know this question was purely hypothetical but Joe is not coming back. After Colin got fired from SW I think he has a chance though. Although I hope they pick someone completely different. Keep it fresh.

I still don't understand why Jurassic Park 3's Isla Sorna looks so different. It felt like it was on Nublar rather than Sorna.
Tyrannosaur and some others made a map back on JPlegacy, We tried to recreate the 'routes' of the people in TLW and JP3 in a way that made sense. Ultimately we figured that JP3 takes place in the southern half of the island. Which meant different biomes getting explored.

_______________
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
avatar

Posts : 790
Points : 3256
Reputation : 48
Join date : 2012-04-06
Age : 25
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:34 pm

For all its faults, I have to give JP/// one major credit and that's that it atmospherically was very much a JP film. It's writing was shit, it's pacing was way too fast, it's music was run of the mill, and the acting was mediocre, but the sets were still pretty good and the atmosphere they created still felt like a JP movie. This is something I sadly cannot say of JW. The sets were sterile and the on location jungle just felt... off. Despite filming only an island away, you can tell it's Oahu and not Kauai. Something about it just doesn't feel like Kauai. The jungle genuinely does not feel like Kauai's. It doesn't effect JP because they didn't film any jungle scenes on Oahu, just the Gallimimus stampede in a very open valley. The rest of the movie's on location was Kauai, and you can tell. It's just somehow different from Oahu. Johnston, either because he wanted to keep that continuity, or just because he thought it would be a good idea, understood this and knew what it took to visually make a JP movie, even if he didn't understand how to direct one.

@Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
I still don't understand why Jurassic Park 3's Isla Sorna looks so different. It felt like it was on Nublar rather than Sorna.
That's because most of the on location work was done on Kauai, where they filmed on location for the first movie. Honestly, it's not THAT different. TLW is pretty much 50/50 classic jungle and redwood, and the closer the survivors move into the island interior, the more classic jungle we see. It just SEEMS like a stark difference because there's no redwoods in JP///. However, Cathy's Beach, the ending shot, some parts of the trek were all filmed on Kauai, and the Hunter's Camp, the camp on the ridge, the jungle at the edge of the long grass, and the Worker Village all have classic jungle foliage.

_______________
SOMETHING HAS SURVIVED
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   

Back to top Go down
 
Trevorrow vs Johnston
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Franchise :: Film Universe :: JW: Fallen Kingdom Talk-
Jump to: