Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inJurassic-Pedia

Share | 

Jurassic Aspect Ratios

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Jurassic Aspect Ratios   Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:44 pm

I decided to put this in a separate post because I felt like this could open up for some good discussion for the changes to the aspect ratios in this film series for the last 25 years.

While scrolling through the web for articles on the overall franchise, I found an interesting article on how the aspect ratios have gradually widened since Jurassic World's release, adversely affecting the presentation of the dinosaurs. Maintaining a 1:85:1 aspect ratio allowed Spielberg and Joe Johnston to frame as much of the dinosaurs as possible and allow them to effectively fill the screen. Everyone probably knows this story regarding JW's production, that Spielberg wanted to bring this aspect ratio back for the franchise, but Trevorrow wanted a much wider aspect ratio and so they compromised on the 2.00:1, which I personally feel was a very good move for the previous film in that it felt new but not too different.

I believe the wider 2.35.1 has a more cinematic quality, perfect for framing large crowds of people in a vast sweeping landscape, and has been used by the modern film versions of King Kong and Godzilla. Actually, I'm surprised the article doesn't comment on how they depict their respective monsters and dinosaurian creatures in relation to this wider ratio. It does end on a decidedly downer note, exaggerating the theory that the 2.35.1 aspect ratio is indicative of the franchise's decline.

FilmSchoolRejects Article on changing aspect ratios in Jurassic Park franchise

But I was curious what you guys thought about this gradual change and whether or not it affects how you view the film?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Aspect Ratios   Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Something I like to do is compare the aspect ratios among the various releases of the movie. Here, I've compared the VHS releases with the DVD releases...

In JP, they clearly chopped from the top and the bottom for the DVD...

Here's a couple more pics showing what the full frame looks like compared to the DVD frame...

And here's the TLW VHS compared to the DVD:
The most striking difference (besides the clarity) is that the Blu-ray lops off a good chunk of the bottom of the screen, and there's slightly more on the sides for the DVD.

In JP/// they chopped from the sides for the VHS and widened it back out and chopped the bottom for the DVD...

My least favorite rendition is still the 3D blu-ray. The cropping is deplorable and the color timing has been shot to Hell in an attempt at replicating the color timing from the VHS...

My favorite version of JP is the full screen copy I have. Even though you see things like boom mics, it gives you a whole new perspective on the film. The color timing is also the closest to the VHS...

Jurassic Aspect Ratios
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Franchise :: Film Universe-
Jump to: