Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarAbout UsJurassic-PediaFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Shouldn't this franchise be larger then it currently is right now?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't this franchise be larger then it currently is right now?   Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:32 pm

While no one really refutes the fact that Spielberg exerted more influence on the production of Jurassic World than compared to Jurassic Park 3, it struck me more as Spielberg trying to actively mentor Trevorrow and prevent another JP3 or Kingdom of the Crystal Skull type of letdown. If I were in Colin's position, I'd probably be just as likely to listen and take on board as much of Spielberg's advice as I could. With J.A. Bayona taking the helm, there hasn't been as much word of Spielberg being as involved, suggesting that he trusts to the more experienced director's skills.

Compare this to, say, Josh Trank where the relationship between the studio and the director (also a green director with only one hit movie under his belt) was way more toxic than compared to the likes of Warner Bros, Universal and even Disney, and was ultimately a remnant of Fox's less than stellar period under Tom Rothman, who greenlit Trank's version of Fantastic Four. Nowadays, stories of director/studio falling-outs from Lucasfilm (never mind the intense fandom division) are more public than ever.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TyrannosaurTJ
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't this franchise be larger then it currently is right now?   Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:49 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
While no one really refutes the fact that Spielberg exerted more influence on the production of Jurassic World than compared to Jurassic Park 3, it struck me more as Spielberg trying to actively mentor Trevorrow and prevent another JP3 or Kingdom of the Crystal Skull type of letdown. If I were in Colin's position, I'd probably be just as likely to listen and take on board as much of Spielberg's advice as I could. With J.A. Bayona taking the helm, there hasn't been as much word of Spielberg being as involved, suggesting that he trusts to the more experienced director's skills.

Compare this to, say, Josh Trank where the relationship between the studio and the director (also a green director with only one hit movie under his belt) was way more toxic than compared to the likes of Warner Bros, Universal and even Disney, and was ultimately a remnant of Fox's less than stellar period under Tom Rothman, who greenlit Trank's version of Fantastic Four. Nowadays, stories of director/studio falling-outs from Lucasfilm (never mind the intense fandom division) are more public than ever.

^ That is very nicely put and I feel highly logical and rational to the situation here. So yeah, I agree with all this about a thousand percent here. The fact Bayona was given the room more or less speaks more to the fact he's got more experience. I do agree with Spielberg trying to prevent negative backlash like JP3 had or even Indy 4 had. That said, if Sorna is going to be mentioned it will be either within these next two films. It's too big of a plot point to leave unresolved altogether as well. Everybody just needs to chill out and wait for FK here. Make whatever proclamations and predictions from that about the future.

Paleontology Enthusiast, Life long Learner, Citizen Scientist, Jurassic-series Media Archivist
Jurassic-Pedia - The Jurassic Encyclopedia
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/
deinocoop
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't this franchise be larger then it currently is right now?   Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:16 pm

I’m all up for everyone taking a chill pill, it’s going to take until June for FK to get here after all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't this franchise be larger then it currently is right now?   Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:30 pm

Pacific Rim Uprising's first reviews aren't so great. Mentionings of a generic, underdeveloped script. Just thought it'd be relevant to mention here since Emily Carmichael is on board JW3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't this franchise be larger then it currently is right now?   Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:59 pm

@Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Pacific Rim Uprising's first reviews aren't so great. Mentionings of a generic, underdeveloped script. Just thought it'd be relevant to mention here since Emily Carmichael is on board JW3.

Doesn't surprise me, why Uni would hire this Emily girl is beyond me? Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't this franchise be larger then it currently is right now?   Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:41 pm

@dance2nite wrote:
@Six-Foot Turkey wrote:

Doesn't surprise me, why Uni would hire this Emily girl is beyond me? Mad

I assume since Derek Conolly was initially on board Pacific rim Uprising, he may have recommended her. Would've been good to get someone with more experience, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't this franchise be larger then it currently is right now?   Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:26 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:

At this point, I'm worried that Trevorrow is learning the wrong lessons from Spielberg, who was not only never a franchise director, but also, at this point, doesn't get how franchises have changed in the post-Avengers world and may be too old to care/get it.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't this franchise be larger then it currently is right now?   Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:01 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@BarrytheOnyx wrote:

At this point, I'm worried that Trevorrow is learning the wrong lessons from Spielberg, who was not only never a franchise director, but also, at this point, doesn't get how franchises have changed in the post-Avengers world and may be too old to care/get it.

I'm curious as to what wrong lessons you think pose a serious threat to the films with Trevorrow as executive producer along with Spielberg. And with all that said and done, what's to say Trevorrow himself isn't at least observing what the competition has been doing to keep their franchise going? Marvel with all their two to three movies a year is going on ten years as of 2018, while Jurassic World needs to keep going up until 2021 and then it's future becomes unclear. I think the latter is a very different operation to what the MCU has been running.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't this franchise be larger then it currently is right now?   Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:11 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@BarrytheOnyx wrote:

I'm curious as to what wrong lessons you think pose a serious threat to the films with Trevorrow as executive producer along with Spielberg. And with all that said and done, what's to say Trevorrow himself isn't at least observing what the competition has been doing to keep their franchise going? Marvel with all their two to three movies a year is going on ten years as of 2018, while Jurassic World needs to keep going up until 2021 and then it's future becomes unclear. I think the latter is a very different operation to what the MCU has been running.

Mainly these:

1. The first 2 sequels are bad, so it's ok to treat them like trash. This is based on how TLW was treated at first and, despite it's increase in popularity over the years, I don't think that Uni or Spielberg noticed.

2. It doesn't need to grow bigger. Based on how Spielberg not being a franchise man.

3. Don't try anything new even if it's basic. Based on both Uni and Spielberg seem to learn the wrong lessons from past failures: How the JP3 Spino was handled, no new dinos, etc. I take it you've seen my list of ideas on this page. Is it that hard to translate them onto the big screen in a JP movie? I say no.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
#TRexSpinorematch
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't this franchise be larger then it currently is right now?   Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:57 am

And so much for the internet saying everyone hated TLW and that it is considered as bad as JP3 and yet, I don't remember a backlash or a single person hating it from 1997 to around 2004. In fact I would dare to say that most fans at the very least like it and accept it.

That's why I don't get why Universal believes that TLW is something that fans really want to avoid or ignore.

Nobody really seems to actually hate TLW. Neither has there ever been a The Last Jedi like backlash to.it.

It is only "hated" on by some youtube critics who keep saying it is as hated as JP3. Critics who may not even know that much about the franchise.

So remind me again how could Universal.believe that TLW is something very unpopular? JP3 is the only JP movie that is actually hated and the only JP movie that had a clear backlash in 2001 and it is still hated by many. No such thing with TLW.

If Universal does really believe TLW is as hated as JP3...It really does raise questions about how much do.they know...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't this franchise be larger then it currently is right now?   

Back to top Go down

Shouldn't this franchise be larger then it currently is right now?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Franchise :: Film Universe-
Jump to: