Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarAbout UsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inJurassic-Pedia

Share | 

Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:24 am

Are you sure you want the sequels to go back to Sorna? Dr. Grant says it's a bad idea Very Happy

Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bionic
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:28 am

Quote :
You mean that there's two islands with dinosaurs on them?

Haha good one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:01 pm

@owenpratt wrote:
#TRexSpinorematch wrote:

I have many Friends who are very casual Jurassic Park fans and they are all very aware that there were 2 Islands and the why behind both of them. They are also very aware of the controversial things about the franchise like the feathers thing, among others.

You mean that there's two islands with dinosaurs on them?

Alright, you just stay out of this!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:13 pm

Making a movie like this is extremely challenging, You have to juggle a multiple of different tasks. You gotta try to please the hardcore fans who've been there since the start of the franchise as well as the casual moviegoer just looking for some popcorn entertainment. So if you find yourself disappointed that there weren't very many thought provoking ideas in there, remember, it's not just you they have to please.

View user profile
Spiegel
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Well obviously but you can't pander to the popcorn entertainment crowd solely either. Most of the dissatisfaction comes from the lack of JP flavor and just tid bits of dialogue missing that could add so much in a few lines.

Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:41 pm

@Spiegel wrote:
Well obviously but you can't pander to the popcorn entertainment crowd solely either. Most of the dissatisfaction comes from the lack of JP flavor and just tid bits of dialogue missing that could add so much in a few lines.

I agree. I actually enjoy JP3 because of how entertaining and easy it is to watch, you never get bored. Obviously compared to the first movie it falls short in a number of ways, but at least it brought back a major character from the first movie as a lead, it took its time exploring the island (something as a JP fan I always want to see), it brought us a number of exciting dinosaur scenes and there were no boring parts. And for the record, I don't think there are any boring parts in Jurassic Park either, even when there's just dialogue. It's all about how it's done. But I think JP3 succeeded in giving us a really simple and effective sequel where they brought back Alan Grant for a tour of Isla Sorna, and it was entertaining enough for me. The key word here is entertainment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:56 pm

Which is what FK was. It was really entertaining
@Spiegel I agree you shouldn't pander too much to one demographic. You risk alienating the other. And vice versa. The unfortunate fact is people nowadays aren't looking for challenging thoughts or ideas in a summer blockbuster, they're looking for some silly, dumb fun. if the movie doesn't deliver on that, it won't make the dolla.

View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:25 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Dead2009 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
Universal/Spielberg wants to keep Colin, fine. But at least give him some far superior writers and keep him away from much of the creative control.

I'm worried that we're going to have to throw the Universal/Colin discussions onto the ban list because you can't drop your agenda, despite being warned multiple times.

This time, it wasn't so much of that as so much as I say that for legitimate fears of the next movie.

That's all you post about though. The fears of the next movie. Why not enjoy what's already out instead of constantly being negative.

http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:29 pm

@Dead2009 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Dead2009 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
Universal/Spielberg wants to keep Colin, fine. But at least give him some far superior writers and keep him away from much of the creative control.

I'm worried that we're going to have to throw the Universal/Colin discussions onto the ban list because you can't drop your agenda, despite being warned multiple times.

This time, it wasn't so much of that as so much as I say that for legitimate fears of the next movie.

That's all you post about though. The fears of the next movie. Why not enjoy what's already out instead of constantly being negative.
^
This.
There is much to be enjoyed in these movies. Let's just celebrate the fact that after eleven or so years of production hell, it's a miracle we're getting any new movies at all!

View user profile
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:35 pm

@Spiegel wrote:

FK had the JP flavor IMO. More so than JW that's for sure and I like JW.

Last edited by Dr. Wu on Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:37 pm

^^ Agreed that FK felt much more like a real JP movie, whereas JW felt more like a big budget fan film IMO.

@TheRexMan22 wrote:

There is much to be enjoyed in these movies. Let's just celebrate the fact that after eleven or so years of production hell, it's a miracle we're getting any new movies at all!

Agreed...let us never forget the Jurassic movie dark times from 2002-2014.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:52 pm

@TheRexMan22 wrote:
@Dead2009 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Dead2009 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

^
This.

Not to mention these films have flaws and dont cater to everyone. There will never be a perfect movie and I think we all need to accept it. If the film was a flop, THEN you start worrying about this that and the other.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:54 pm

Tbh I actually agree with that. I know many felt the tone was missing, but for me this movie, for all of it's flaws, actually felt more like an actual JP movie in colors, photography and general atmosphere. I will even say that the scenes on nublar (although short) were full on Jurassic Park in design. JW on the other hand, despite the fact that it was enjoyable, felt more...generic, so to speak.

But in general, I think that aside from criticizing the movies (which is completely fine), we should also appreciate the positives about them and see where they can build upon those.

After all, we almost got human raptor hybrids, dilophosaurs(sorry, chlaymidiosaurus lol) and an ankylosaurus raiding a costa rican drug lord's cocaine stash from a plane on PARACHUTES.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:57 pm

And yet, both the Sayles script and FK had post-credits scenes with Pteranodons. Hmmm.... Razz

I'm actually weird in that I would have liked to have seen a VERSION of the Sayles script, (for its sheer batshit creativity), just not the honestly pretty rough, fairly crappy draft that leaked online.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:59 pm

@Dv-218 wrote:
Tbh I actually agree with that. I know many felt the tone was missing, but for me this movie, for all of it's flaws, actually felt more like an actual JP movie in colors, photography and general atmosphere. I will even say that the scenes on nublar (although short) were full on Jurassic Park in design. JW on the other hand, despite the fact that it was enjoyable, felt more...generic, so to speak.

I can agree This. This so much.

TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:59 pm

@Dv-218 wrote:

After all, we almost got human raptor hybrids, dilophosaurs(sorry, chlaymidiosaurus lol) and an ankylosaurus raiding a costa rican drug lord's cocaine stash from a plane on PARACHUTES.
To be honest, that would be awesome, but in a silly B-movie kind of way.

View user profile
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:02 pm

Lmao I would pay to see atleast a graphic novel of that thing. Also good point on he pteranodon's haha.
Or maybe even use the script to make a spaceballs type parody of the franchise hahaha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:03 pm

I actually reflect quite often recently on how lucky we are, after what seemed like endless years with no hopes of a new movie, that we actually get three new movies in the course of just six years. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that I love the original trilogy and I have the right to compare and criticize.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:04 pm

^of course, nobody argues with that (i think?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:05 pm

@CT-1138 wrote:
@Dv-218 wrote:

So much of what a strong director does is create iconic images like a painter., using light/shadow, cinematography and production design ..IMO Bayona was much better at this than Trevorrow, whose work felt more pedestrian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:07 pm

Of course criticism is needed, without it, all movies would be cheap and bad. I just kind of hate it when the negativity outshines the positivity.

View user profile
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:08 pm

I agree with the points above . JW felt like one of those park tours/guide videos (minus the indominus rampage scenes).

Also wait, that thing that was leaked was not the final version?!?! I'm actually interested to see how insane the final one was lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:12 pm

^^ There was some concept art leaked for dinosauroid hybrids which weren't in the script, so seemingly there were some very different versions at various points.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:12 pm

@Robotpo wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:
@Dv-218 wrote:

So much of what a strong director does is create iconic images like a painter., using light/shadow, cinematography and production design ..IMO Bayona was much better at this than Trevorrow, whose work felt more pedestrian.

This I definitely agree with, one thing I enjoyed about FK was the fantastic visuals. The suspense was also much more present this time around. I liked the movie as a whole, but it could've been better. I have very high hopes for JW3, and I'm happy we got FK.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:16 pm

^I agree, there are defenitly things that can be improved.
To be honest, I hope that Colin will learn from JW and take a page from bayona regarding the visuals. Also, a better script lol.

EDIT: also just learned that the final sayles script featured a t rex man fighting a triceratops man. Yeah. It seems that the script's drug raiding climax was something that John was indeed doing during the writing process Very Happy

Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:19 pm

^^ He's working with Emily Carmichael on the third film as opposed to Connolly again, so presumably the script will differ from JW and FK.

I honestly wish they brought Koepp back for all the films after TLW, but it doesn't seem he was interested in writing them unless Spielberg was directing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:22 pm

@Robotpo wrote:
^^ He's working with Emily Carmichael on the third film as opposed to Connolly again, so presumably the script will differ from JW and FK.

I honestly wish they brought Koepp back for all the films after TLW, but it doesn't seem he was interested in writing them unless Spielberg was directing.

Didn't you hear? He was killed by a t-rex in 1997.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:25 pm

^^ Oh yeah, I forgot! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:28 pm

Lol theory: Jack from the FK opening is this guy's son/brother
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Use spoiler tags if you're gonna post large images, guys

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   

Back to top Go down

Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Franchise :: Film Universe :: JW: Fallen Kingdom Talk-
Jump to: