Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarAbout UsJurassic-PediaFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?   Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:01 pm

@Robotpo wrote:
The thing is, TLW made Isla Sorna seem fairly small - they walked from the island rim to the worker's village in the center (? or the interior at least) in a day. The fly-over and rest of the third make Sorna seem huge!

I never got the impression Sorna was small, in fact you can see on the map of the five islands in TLW that it's considerably larger than Nublar, so I always assumed it was big.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?   Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:06 pm

I got this impression from the time it takes to cross from the "outer rim" to the interior where the Worker's Village and raptor killing fields were - as Ludlow says, it takes about a day's walk, meaning to cross from one side of the island to the other would have taken around two days. Moving a large group of people over uneven, overgrown terrain on foot means you're not moving very fast, hence I guess why the island seemed small to me.

On the other hand, this could have been a plot contrivance to move TLW along.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?   Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:40 am

@Robotpo wrote:
The thing is, TLW made Isla Sorna seem fairly small - they walked from the island rim to the worker's village in the center (? or the interior at least) in a day. The fly-over and rest of the third make Sorna seem huge!
The average human walks at a pace of 3 miles an hour. If we assume that they mostly walked the lowlands, then also consider that they'd been walking for at least a good straight 18 hours. that's still at least 50+/- miles covered considering they stopped for minimal breaks and didn't sleep until nightfall after starting their trek in the previous night.

Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?   Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:34 am

Haha damn you guys are right, I don't understand how I missed that Very Happy must be because of the awful quality I watched the movie in...
But either way, I still think it feels different than the JP3 jungle. Like Lost said, the one in TLW did not feel tropical- it felt more sub-tropical imo.

Another thing regarding the environment- could it be the reason why some animals look different? And i'm not talking about the obvious raptors (I think they are probably Masrani made with the new info). For example, the rex looks much brighter and has a more vivid green tone than Buck and jr from TLW.
The stegos look brighter and more green too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?   Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:52 am

@Dr. Wu wrote:
It does have the JP feel IMO. Even though it's my least favorite in the franchise it does feel more JP  than JW.

I was coming to say exactly this.

Thing is, things have changed in 14 years, so I'm not really surprised JW feels like a different beast. JWFK feels different too, but somewhat line sup with how JW feels, although their different kinds of films. I think too it boils down to different schools of filmmaking. Even Johnston came from the same era as Spielberg, while these new directors are growing in this more shiny, Michael Bay CGI-fest influenced world. (Yes, I know Spielberg had involvement in stuff like the first Transformers). Even if you don't like Fallen Kingdom, which I myself do, I think it gets points for going much more practical. There's still a fair bit of CGI, don't get me wrong, but there's a lot that feels more real than JW to me as well.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?   Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:34 pm

@Dv-218 wrote:
Haha damn you guys are right, I don't understand how I missed that Very Happy must be because of the awful quality I watched the movie in...
But either way, I still think it feels different than the JP3 jungle. Like Lost said, the one in TLW did not feel tropical- it felt more sub-tropical imo.

Another thing regarding the environment- could it be the reason why some animals look different? And i'm not talking about the obvious raptors (I think they are probably Masrani made with the new info). For example, the rex looks much brighter and has a more vivid green tone than Buck and jr from TLW.
The stegos look brighter and more green too.

The lighting on Jurassic Park /// feels very underexposed, especially in the scenes done on location. They darkened those scenes to match the lighting to the scenes filmed on sets. For example, take the stampede scene. The scene is lit very darkly even for the overcast weather. Truth is, it's very difficult to imitate true sunlight on a set. Thats why so many sets are for interiors or done for night scenes. Look at all of TLW island scenes. Almost all of the set scenes were night scenes. The only one that wasn't was the rex nest and that was twilight so the scene didn't require Spielberg and Kaminski to recreate direct sunlight. Same for JP, interiors and night scenes were done on sets and exterior day shots were done on location.Check out how underexposed the stampede shot below is and it's in sunny or semi sunny conditions. I'm not sure if I like it, honestly. I understand the reasoning and intent behind it. But on a modern television screen it looks out of place in more moderately exposed shots.

Jurassic World, I would say, is a good example of average contemporary cinematography. It's basic, and made for ultra HD screens. It doesn't use any mise-en-scene, and that's my main gripe with it. It's not a very interesting movie on a visual standpoint. It's not even a visual effects spectacle like, say, Star Wars or even some Marvel movies. It's just bland.

I still say that JP and TLW has the most natural usage of filters and cinematography. The on location shots were done in places with a lot of natural fog, particularly TLW which filmed in the Redwoods during the late summer months when the fog was at its thickest.

Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?   Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:00 am

^Damn, that's a very insightful post. Yeah, now that I look at it, the main problem with JP3 is the underexposed lighting and the overbrightness of the shots. This is probably why the aviary scene and the boat attack looked the best.
I also agree 100% on JW, though I feel that FK fixed that problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Viperman
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?   Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:34 am

I feel like aesthetically it had the JP feel, and also it had Grant and Ellie back, which was a plus. But that couldn't save it from the plot, or rather the fact that it barely had one. Also, the fact that the island looks so different from the Sorna we saw in TLW makes it hard to connect the two movies. In the end the explanation is that they took place on different parts of the island, but this is still disappointing because the final shooting script of JP/// makes it clear that it's supposed to take place in the same area TLW did. The InGen compound was connected to the Worker's Village and the car with the busted window that Grant peers into as they enter it is explicitly stated to be the same one Malcolm hides in from the Raptor. Also, when Grant asks Eric if he found any weapons, he pulls out a cattle prod (with no batteries) and it's implied to be the same one Dieter used in TLW.

These references were never translated on screen for some reason and the change in biome, coupled with the different lighting techniques makes the movie feel alien compared to the previous movie. I'm not really sure why production didn't use more coniferous forest settings combined with tropical jungle like TLW did, but I really wish they had. Sad The movie still had some nice set pieces though.

Basically, JP/// had a feeling similar to the first movie, but since it takes place on Isla Sorna it feels odd how different it is compared to TLW. And the fact the plot was bare-boned didn't help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?   Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:33 pm

@Viperman wrote:
I feel like aesthetically it had the JP feel, and also it had Grant and Ellie back, which was a plus. But that couldn't save it from the plot, or rather the fact that it barely had one. Also, the fact that the island looks so different from the Sorna we saw in TLW makes it hard to connect the two movies. In the end the explanation is that they took place on different parts of the island, but this is still disappointing because the final shooting script of JP/// makes it clear that it's supposed to take place in the same area TLW did. The InGen compound was connected to the Worker's Village and the car with the busted window that Grant peers into as they enter it is explicitly stated to be the same one Malcolm hides in from the Raptor. Also, when Grant asks Eric if he found any weapons, he pulls out a cattle prod (with no batteries) and it's implied to be the same one Dieter used in TLW.

These references were never translated on screen for some reason and the change in biome, coupled with the different lighting techniques makes the movie feel alien compared to the previous movie. I'm not really sure why production didn't use more coniferous forest settings combined with tropical jungle like TLW did, but I really wish they had. Sad The movie still had some nice set pieces though.

Basically, JP/// had a feeling similar to the first movie, but since it takes place on Isla Sorna it feels odd how different it is compared to TLW. And the fact the plot was bare-boned didn't help.

Very good post, basically sums up all my thoughts on the matter-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?   Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:50 pm

^I agree, it's a really well made post. The feeling is defenitely there but besides that, the movie feels incredibely shallow..
And I still agree they should have used the tempertate mixed with tropical jungle feel that TLW had. In my opinion it just screams Sorna Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?   Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:41 pm

So would you guys say JP3 feels more Jurassic Park than TLW? I'd say aesthetically, like Viperman said, it does, and like JP it's not as bleak as TLW, but TLW definitely feels Jurassic Park in a number of other ways, including that it just seems like a more serious movie and more directly connected to the first movie. The dinosaurs too looked more like they did in the first movie, and of course Hammond was in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?   

Back to top Go down

Jurassic Park III - did it have the JP feel?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2