Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarAbout UsJurassic-PediaFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Dinosaur Portrayals in the Films

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JVM
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Dinosaur Portrayals in the Films   Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:54 am

An increasingly common complaint about the recent films I see among fans is the idea the dinosaurs aren't behaving enough like 'real animals' in contrast to the first two or three films, depending who you ask. This is a particularly common complaint over at Jurassic Outpost. Certainly all Jurassic fans would agree we want the dinosaurs to continue to be portrayed as animals, but there's clear disagreement over whether or not the sequels, particularly the last two films, have continued along this route or diverged. I was hoping we could have some evidence-based discussion and perspectives about this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Portrayals in the Films   Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Well, I'd like to bring up one of the more discussed moments in the franchise in terms of the "dinosaurs not being portrayed as animals" argument. That being the battle between the T.rex, Blue and the Indominus.

Now, where I live, large birds of prey often fly into residential areas for one reason or another, and one thing that I've noticed is that whenever a bird of prey does enter the residential area, the local crows and seagulls seem to alert each other and actually attack the bird of prey, sometimes together. That's the situation that I always go to in order to justify the finale of JW. There is precedence in the animal kingdom for the kind of behavior that both Blue and the Rex exhibited in that scene.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Minmi
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Portrayals in the Films   Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:56 pm

How about in The Lost World, the way the Steg herd reacted to Sarah getting too close to their baby? As we know, dinosaurs are related to birds. Many bird species are very protective when it comes to their young and react aggressively towards anything that happens to stray close to where the nest is. The way the Steg herd reacted was exactly the reaction I expected.

JVM
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Portrayals in the Films   Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:28 am

@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Well, I'd like to bring up one of the more discussed moments in the franchise in terms of the "dinosaurs not being portrayed as animals" argument. That being the battle between the T.rex, Blue and the Indominus.

Now, where I live, large birds of prey often fly into residential areas for one reason or another, and one thing that I've noticed is that whenever a bird of prey does enter the residential area, the local crows and seagulls seem to alert each other and actually attack the bird of prey, sometimes together. That's the situation that I always go to in order to justify the finale of JW. There is precedence in the animal kingdom for the kind of behavior that both Blue and the Rex exhibited in that scene.
This is a really interesting point!

I had usually written it off as a mixture of Rexy's territorialism and Blue's altruism without thinking too hard about the fact they worked together - but this is actually a pretty interesting point in and of itself. That makes a lot of sense.

@Minmi wrote:
How about in The Lost World, the way the Steg herd reacted to Sarah getting too close to their baby? As we know, dinosaurs are related to birds. Many bird species are very protective when it comes to their young and react aggressively towards anything that happens to stray close to where the nest is. The way the Steg herd reacted was exactly the reaction I expected.
Yep, this is one of my favorite examples in the franchise. It lets you get an interesting action sequence where even a casual fan knows you can still root for the human characters while sympathizing with the dinosaurs, without typical predator/prey dynamics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Portrayals in the Films   Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:28 pm

@JVM wrote:
An increasingly common complaint about the recent films I see among fans is the idea the dinosaurs aren't behaving enough like 'real animals' in contrast to the first two or three films, depending who you ask.

Am I wrong in thinking this all started with the JP3 Spino via it being a bad-Godzilla knock-off? It just seemed aggressive for...reasons and no explanation was given, (and neither was it's origin).

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Portrayals in the Films   Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:34 am

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@JVM wrote:
An increasingly common complaint about the recent films I see among fans is the idea the dinosaurs aren't behaving enough like 'real animals' in contrast to the first two or three films, depending who you ask.

Am I wrong in thinking this all started with the JP3 Spino via it being a bad-Godzilla knock-off? It just seemed aggressive for...reasons and no explanation was given, (and neither was it's origin).

The Spino was probably more aggressive because of what the scientists added in it's DNA. With genetic modification anything can happen.

JVM
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Portrayals in the Films   Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:10 am

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@JVM wrote:

It's amusing to me that a lot of people who file this complaint about the Jurassic World films seem to overlook the Spinosaurus' behavior. I love the species, and I think the sequences featuring it are really well-done, but the specimen shown onscreen seems to inexplicably chase them throughout the island without much explanation. (The airplane crash explains the first scene or two, but not the whole movie.) I appreciated the fact JW went into a lot of detail to explain the Indominus' behavior, and while it didn't hold up a thousand percent, the effort mattered to me. Similarly, in a bridge to JW, this is the film where the Velociraptor begin to be humanized with their social traits emphasized.

I really like the retcon that it was an early hybrid experiment by Masrani Global, and it's been discussed about the plane hittin the animal, but that doesn't make me retroactively forgive the production for not thinking it through. The movie could've still held up fine if half of the Spinosaurus' scenes were given to different carnivore(s) as long as the phone thing was cut. I don't think anyone would have even cared about the fight earlier in he film if a different Rex took a later scene, or if Ceratosaurus was allowed to be more of a threat.

I don't hate Jurassic Park 3, just to clarify, I have a strong nostalgic attachment to it, and I liked Spinosaurus before it was in the films; it just feels like some of the flaws in the recent two films were already evident by then, which is a huge reason I hold it less against the new films individually and prefer to blame studio executives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CommanderKeller
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Portrayals in the Films   Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:05 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@JVM wrote:

I always thought that the spino being aggressive was due to the fact that he was wounded by the plane;

https://www.instagram.com/jurassicpark_raptors/

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Portrayals in the Films   Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:11 pm

^^ Remember it was wounded by the plane because it was in the process of chasing/eating Cooper...so, aggressive to begin with.

JP3 was IMO when the series started going from the dinosaurs as "dangerous animals" to "theme park monsters"...then again, Grant and the kids encounter the Rex so much in the book it almost seems to be stalking them, so there's that. Razz

I honestly never made any sense that the predatory dinosaurs would bother with people when there are so many larger prey animals not covered in clothes/perfume or cologne.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Titanosaurus
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Dinosaur Portrayals in the Films   Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Its probably so common because people have a very narrow view of how animals behave and if the Jurassic park animals don’t match up to that they’re clearly “not animals” though The thing is animals are inherently unpredictable from the get go and can do some pretty odd or unusual things in certain circumstances you may not expect.

As for the spinosaurus in JP3 the only real explanation I can find for the spinosaurus chasing the team was that they shot it a few times (assuming those rounds actually hit the animal) in the tree line and then proceeded to hit it with a plane at the top of its sail. Contrary to popular belief Some animals have a capacity for what we’d call “revenge”/resentment towards beings that’ve caused them harm or distress such as tigers, elephants and cows. Keeping this in mind and Given what little we know about the spinosaurs early life in captivity it doesn’t seem like humans are it’s favorite things to see roaming around
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Portrayals in the Films   

Back to top Go down

Dinosaur Portrayals in the Films
Page 1 of 1