Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)
 
Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarAbout UsJurassic-PediaFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Anyone else think this about the sites now?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4420
Points : 5503
Reputation : 64
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:55 pm

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of the sites as a source of canon. But recently, something hit me. I got a realization that the sites were not really meant to expand canon, but to preemptively explain away the plot holes in JW:FK.

Here's how I came to that conclusion. I'm part of a movie group on Facebook and I saw many people complain about the massive plot holes.

"Why didn't we see all these new dinosaurs in the last movie?" "Why didn't they try to send the dinosaurs to Sorna?" "What happened to the Sorna population?" "How could Lockwood NOT know about the auction?" "Who IS this Lockwood anyway?" "I thought the Gyrosphere was bulletproof."

I'm also on a JP Facebook group as well (Sickle Claw and Ty are mods on the site as well) and some fans have said the same thing and a few fans have said that going to the DPG site would explain it. And then it hit me. Leaning on sites to preemptively explain plot holes is NOT how you make a good movie.

Yes, I honestly think that the DPG was made simply to try and explain plot holes in the movie that happened due to bad/crappy writing.

Does anybody else think about this?

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton




If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 598
Points : 1523
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Melbourne, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:13 pm

Not again... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyrant Lizard
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1203
Points : 2749
Reputation : 91
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Over there

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:01 am

No.




Adding this sentence to avoid making a one word post.

_______________
Dinosaurs still rule the earth

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1818
Points : 3925
Reputation : 34
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:47 am

IMO this is just another rant disguised as a question because you dont want the sites to be canon.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Day of the Dead: Bloodline (2018.
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E24).
Last Video Game Played: Forza Horizon 4 (XBO).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JVM
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 79
Points : 998
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:14 am

No, not quite right.

You also seem to be implying a mandate from Universal to create tie-in websites to explain away inconsistencies in the films. I think that's categorically incorrect.

The Jurassic World tie-in website did nothing of this sort at any point that I can recall, and almost had the opposite effect by suggesting the presence of multiple species not seen in the film, and including some incorrect designs. It didn't seek to explain the film in any meaningful way, and while that made it fun, it also didn't make it good for more than one visit. What little additions to canon were suggested were never an effort to explain away anything on-screen. It also proves Universal has an interest in maintaining a tie-in website regardless of whether or not it 'explains' anything.

I think the reality is more so that the people involved in the tie-in website, fans of the franchise themselves with some communication and access to behind the scenes material related to the film, tried their best to use their very limited means to explain these things and contextualize them within the existing Jurassic Park canon. I was involved in a similar but less intensive project for another media property where I chose to take on a similar responsibility without any mandate - because as a fan, I wanted to make things make more sense.

This is not a blank check for the Dinosaur Protection Group website, as I felt some of the statements on the website stretched my perception of canon more than most of the film, such as references to Suchomimus in the eighties, the omission of Proceratosaurus and the mention of Deinonychus, literally the worst possible choice in my opinion for a name drop.... but on the whole, I appreciated the effort to let fans try to bring canon together in a more cohesive way, even if it might not line up with my mental perception of a Jurassic canon.

I'd certainly prefer retroactive continuity to Universal and Trevorrow simply telling us to "get over it" or that there's a reason they're Hollywood directors and were aren't, which are attitudes real directors and writers in more high-profile fandoms have expressed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TyrannosaurTJ
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
avatar

Posts : 126
Points : 774
Reputation : 13
Join date : 2017-03-11
Location : Ohio, United States

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:30 am

Eh.... no. Not really. The thing with the viral sites is that they are supplemental to the films, something for the fans to sit back, enjoy, and feel good feelings about world building. The problem is, yeah the film could benefit with the additional exposition, but it would bore the General Audience or wouldn't be as appreciated by the GA. The GA has the largest audience makeup here and so the appeal to them is where the money is going to come from in the end. The lack of exposition in the films themselves along with characterization and development are some of the weaker points in the series, we have the viral sites to sort of make up for that. Most times the general audience accept the simple answers for the why/why not though, others not so much. Mostly what the GA cares about is seeing a spectacle when they go into the theater - to be entertained. That's not to say they wouldn't appreciate the depth to the plot, but most take it for granted or as said, rather accept the simplest answer that is shown in front of them for the how and why.

_______________

Paleontology Enthusiast, Life long Learner, Citizen Scientist, Jurassic-series Media Archivist
Jurassic-Pedia - The Jurassic Encyclopedia
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4420
Points : 5503
Reputation : 64
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:56 pm

@Dead2009 wrote:
IMO this is just another rant disguised as a question because you dont want the sites to be canon.

I get why you say this. But I can assure you this isn't a rant, but a fair question based on my observations.


@JVM wrote:
No, not quite right.

You also seem to be implying a mandate from Universal to create tie-in websites to explain away inconsistencies in the films.

I kind of am. Although in this case, I'd like to think of it as a bribe. A lot of movie buffs and people who want to see good movies are more aware of what makes a good movie and they saw all these plot holes. Most people are not willing to go to websites for canon/stuff to fill in plot holes.



@TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
Eh.... no. Not really. The thing with the viral sites is that they are supplemental to the films, something for the fans to sit back, enjoy, and feel good feelings about world building. The problem is, yeah the film could benefit with the additional exposition, but it would bore the General Audience or wouldn't be as appreciated by the GA. The GA has the largest audience makeup here and so the appeal to them is where the money is going to come from in the end. The lack of exposition in the films themselves along with characterization and development are some of the weaker points in the series, we have the viral sites to sort of make up for that. Most times the general audience accept the simple answers for the why/why not though, others not so much. Mostly what the GA cares about is seeing a spectacle when they go into the theater - to be entertained. That's not to say they wouldn't appreciate the depth to the plot, but most take it for granted or as said, rather accept the simplest answer that is shown in front of them for the how and why.

Again, more people are aware of what makes a good movie. This isn't the early 2000's where studios could get away with making trash on purpose. And Jurassic Park was one of those franchises that are SUPPOSED to be much smarter then most blockbusters. It was never supposed to be Fast and Furious with dinosaurs.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton




If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
avatar

Posts : 180
Points : 362
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2018-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:35 am

Nope, not at all in fact. Like many here already pointed out, the site's only purpose was to market the film, reveal some cool stuff for the fans to talk about and expand the lore. The fact that most points brought up by the site were (unfortunately) not even mentioned in the actual movie pretty much proves that it really doesn't have any meaningful impact on the actual plot, and the idea that universal purposely makes flawed movies to have sites explaining them is honestly laughable.

While I liked Fallen Kingdom, I do agree that the lack of proper exposition and the fast jumping from one point to another were the weaker points of the film- but alas, like stated before, the general audience does not really care for that type of stuff. Most (not all) just take what's happening on screen for granted. The only thing I can hope for is that JW3 improves upon that regard, and delivers a proper Jurassic-styled pacing.
However, despite that, the flaws didn't really affect my overall enjoyment of the film, as imo they were overshadowed by things like the new moral themes, score and cinematography.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JVM
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 79
Points : 998
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:00 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
I kind of am. Although in this case, I'd like to think of it as a bribe. A lot of movie buffs and people who want to see good movies are more aware of what makes a good movie and they saw all these plot holes. Most people are not willing to go to websites for canon/stuff to fill in plot holes.
I'm having trouble understanding this response.

You're implying that "film buffs" spotted 'plot holes' months in advance of the film's release, that Universal realized the film was flawed before it was finished, and then went to the trouble of creating a website to appease these "people who want to see good movies" by hiring people who had not even seen the unfinished film to explain away things they did not really know about?

If Universal knew the movie was so flawed so early on, and cared so much about a plethora of plot inconsistencies they already knew existed and had signed off on, why did they not simply try to fix the movie first? Why did they sign off on Trevorrow and Derek Connally's script and Bayona's directing, spend a bunch of money on it, and then decide 'this is garbage, and we need to justify it by using a tie-in website, that'll show them'? Why not kick Bayona off the film and reshoot it hastily, as has been done in numerous high-profile cases recently? If they knew in advance the film was so horrific, more importantly, why did they think a tiny tie-in site would make a shred of difference for a group of fans who are practically defined by their (not unjustified) refusal to accept anything off-screen as canonical?

The reality is very simple - even if you think the film utterly sucked, and that's a completely valid opinion, the executives that run Universal probably just did not care what "people who want to see good movies" think, and were not concerned with the 'plot holes' present in the final film, and maybe were more interested in turning a profit than critical appraisal, something pretty consistent with every previous Jurassic sequel and the franchise's history. If they cared enough about film buffs to create a special mandate to appease them, they would have intervened earlier in the process.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4420
Points : 5503
Reputation : 64
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:48 pm

@JVM wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
I kind of am. Although in this case, I'd like to think of it as a bribe. A lot of movie buffs and people who want to see good movies are more aware of what makes a good movie and they saw all these plot holes. Most people are not willing to go to websites for canon/stuff to fill in plot holes.
I'm having trouble understanding this response.

You're implying that "film buffs" spotted 'plot holes' months in advance of the film's release, that Universal realized the film was flawed before it was finished, and then went to the trouble of creating a website to appease these "people who want to see good movies" by hiring people who had not even seen the unfinished film to explain away things they did not really know about?

If Universal knew the movie was so flawed so early on, and cared so much about a plethora of plot inconsistencies they already knew existed and had signed off on, why did they not simply try to fix the movie first? Why did they sign off on Trevorrow and Derek Connally's script and Bayona's directing, spend a bunch of money on it, and then decide 'this is garbage, and we need to justify it by using a tie-in website, that'll show them'? Why not kick Bayona off the film and reshoot it hastily, as has been done in numerous high-profile cases recently? If they knew in advance the film was so horrific, more importantly, why did they think a tiny tie-in site would make a shred of difference for a group of fans who are practically defined by their (not unjustified) refusal to accept anything off-screen as canonical?

The reality is very simple - even if you think the film utterly sucked, and that's a completely valid opinion, the executives that run Universal probably just did not care what "people who want to see good movies" think, and were not concerned with the 'plot holes' present in the final film, and maybe were more interested in turning a profit than critical appraisal, something pretty consistent with every previous Jurassic sequel and the franchise's history. If they cared enough about film buffs to create a special mandate to appease them, they would have intervened earlier in the process.

That Universal saw the finished product, knew about the plot holes, and that they decided to fix them pre-emptivly via the sites rather then pay more money to do reshoots and make the movie better. In other words, they knew about the flaws and were simply too cheap to properly fix them. And many movie buffs are JP fans and more people have got more savvy about what makes a movie good.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton




If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TyrannosaurTJ
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
avatar

Posts : 126
Points : 774
Reputation : 13
Join date : 2017-03-11
Location : Ohio, United States

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:27 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@JVM wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
I kind of am. Although in this case, I'd like to think of it as a bribe. A lot of movie buffs and people who want to see good movies are more aware of what makes a good movie and they saw all these plot holes. Most people are not willing to go to websites for canon/stuff to fill in plot holes.
I'm having trouble understanding this response.

You're implying that "film buffs" spotted 'plot holes' months in advance of the film's release, that Universal realized the film was flawed before it was finished, and then went to the trouble of creating a website to appease these "people who want to see good movies" by hiring people who had not even seen the unfinished film to explain away things they did not really know about?

If Universal knew the movie was so flawed so early on, and cared so much about a plethora of plot inconsistencies they already knew existed and had signed off on, why did they not simply try to fix the movie first? Why did they sign off on Trevorrow and Derek Connally's script and Bayona's directing, spend a bunch of money on it, and then decide 'this is garbage, and we need to justify it by using a tie-in website, that'll show them'? Why not kick Bayona off the film and reshoot it hastily, as has been done in numerous high-profile cases recently? If they knew in advance the film was so horrific, more importantly, why did they think a tiny tie-in site would make a shred of difference for a group of fans who are practically defined by their (not unjustified) refusal to accept anything off-screen as canonical?

The reality is very simple - even if you think the film utterly sucked, and that's a completely valid opinion, the executives that run Universal probably just did not care what "people who want to see good movies" think, and were not concerned with the 'plot holes' present in the final film, and maybe were more interested in turning a profit than critical appraisal, something pretty consistent with every previous Jurassic sequel and the franchise's history. If they cared enough about film buffs to create a special mandate to appease them, they would have intervened earlier in the process.

That Universal saw the finished product, knew about the plot holes, and that they decided to fix them pre-emptivly via the sites rather then pay more money to do reshoots and make the movie better. In other words, they knew about the flaws and were simply too cheap to properly fix them. And many movie buffs are JP fans and more people have got more savvy about what makes a movie good.

Do you even like the series at this point anymore? Why waste your time if you don't? It's clear you're annoyed with it to no end and holding onto it at this point is clearly toxic for you. That's not really healthy if you don't at least enjoy it still in some form or at least until you can find a way to enjoy it again.

_______________

Paleontology Enthusiast, Life long Learner, Citizen Scientist, Jurassic-series Media Archivist
Jurassic-Pedia - The Jurassic Encyclopedia
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/
JVM
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 79
Points : 998
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:37 am

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
That Universal saw the finished product, knew about the plot holes, and that they decided to fix them pre-emptivly via the sites rather then pay more money to do reshoots and make the movie better. In other words, they knew about the flaws and were simply too cheap to properly fix them. And many movie buffs are JP fans and more people have got more savvy about what makes a movie good.

I'm going to drop the point, but your theory is severely undermined by the fact the Dinosaur Protection Group website existed a lot sooner than the final cut of the film, and that I continue to find it ironic you assume Universal executives care more about the franchise than Trevorrow, Spielberg or Bayona. (Connally, iirc, is an admitted non-JP fan?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4420
Points : 5503
Reputation : 64
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:43 pm

@JVM wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
That Universal saw the finished product, knew about the plot holes, and that they decided to fix them pre-emptivly via the sites rather then pay more money to do reshoots and make the movie better. In other words, they knew about the flaws and were simply too cheap to properly fix them. And many movie buffs are JP fans and more people have got more savvy about what makes a movie good.

I'm going to drop the point, but your theory is severely undermined by the fact the Dinosaur Protection Group website existed a lot sooner than the final cut of the film, and that I continue to find it ironic you assume Universal executives care more about the franchise than Trevorrow, Spielberg or Bayona. (Connally, iirc, is an admitted non-JP fan?)

They only care about it via how much money it makes and nothing else. They only made the sites to say that they 'did something' in the laziest way possible.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton




If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
avatar

Posts : 304
Points : 896
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2017-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:11 pm

It seems like all franchises use their EU's to explain away plot consistencies though.

Right now, the SW new-EU is tying itself in pretzels to explain away how the sequel trilogy is more a semi-reboot being made up on the fly.

In fact, I'm currently reading "How Star Wars Conquered the Universe", and when Alan Dean Foster was writing the novelization of the original movie, he tried to do the same thing (such as changing Han mistaking "parsec" for a measurement of time rather than space).
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4420
Points : 5503
Reputation : 64
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:32 pm

@Robotpo wrote:
It seems like all franchises use their EU's to explain away plot consistencies though.

But most of them use more solid forms-books, tv shows, etc-of media. This franchise mainly uses sites and one book about Claire. The only other franchise that I can think of that comes close to this is the Godzillaverse, but even then, it has that one graphic novel/comic book that's a prequel to the 2014 movie and we'll be getting another one April 16th next year that takes place before Godzilla: King Of The Monsters. And let's not forget the army of movies Godzilla has. In other words, Godzilla has so much material that he can afford to get away with a site.

JP fans only have 5 movies and a book, which is pathetically low. Besides, a graphic novel/cartoon show about the time that took place in between JP3 and JW-Think of how Star Wars: Rebels tied in the Prequel trilogy with the OT-would be far better then just sites.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton




If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1330
Points : 4072
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:46 pm

https://twitter.com/JurassicWorld/status/1060649929893236737

The new JW lego short seems to go along with what the sites mentioned about the animals being transported from Sorna to Nublar.

_______________
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TyrannosaurTJ
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
avatar

Posts : 126
Points : 774
Reputation : 13
Join date : 2017-03-11
Location : Ohio, United States

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:25 am

@Sickle_Claw wrote:
https://twitter.com/JurassicWorld/status/1060649929893236737

The new JW lego short seems to go along with what the sites mentioned about the animals being transported from Sorna to Nublar.

Not just that, but there is a lot of external books and tie-in media suggesting the same thing of the animals being moved from Sorna to Nublar. Case in point here, the Survival Guide, Employee Handbook, and even the The Evolution of Claire novel. I think it's clear that the Sorna population is greatly reduced anyways at this point. Admittedly, fans love the idea of an untouched lost world for the animals, but it seems we are moving away from that in some ways. It was and is still a heavily romanticized notion, at least for me especially.

I know the elements that are non-canon in the Survival Guide and Employee handbook are the portions about the Indoraptor obviously. Since no one really knew about it at time of the JWFK movie from what we see. Also, I noticed that the Lego Jurassic World stuff is kind of quasi-canon and an abbreviated to be humorous compared to probably what actually happened. I gotta say I'm happy we're getting new data to go over and expand our knowledge about the franchise. I may not like the direction myself fully as I am a fan of Sorna being a pristine lost world of sorts, but I am not going to hamper progress here along with bitching and moaning about it. There is an opportunity I feel given to know more about one of the major franchises I have a fandom in and that's what I'm happy about. There are also some things I like too as well with this direction.

_______________

Paleontology Enthusiast, Life long Learner, Citizen Scientist, Jurassic-series Media Archivist
Jurassic-Pedia - The Jurassic Encyclopedia
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/
#TRexSpinorematch
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
avatar

Posts : 307
Points : 873
Reputation : 8
Join date : 2017-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:32 am

I think everyone needs to remember something that is often lost in these discussions...

Whenever a fan really hates something in the movies or whenever a fan is unhappy with the way Universal is running the show it is not because they hate the franchise at this point but rather because he or she cares too much for it.

I am sure everyone has seen the phrase nobody hates Star Wars like a Star Wars fan. Well no, it is the opposite. It is such a dear memory and that we like it for quite a few particular reasons and whenever those reasons are given huge changes that ruin what we liked the series so much for in the first place, one can not just tell them to just force themselves to like it or go away. That will not all of the sudden make it better.

Pointing out stuff that makes no sense is not a bad thing as long as it is not done with malice in mind. Trying to invalidate another fans legit argument is. Thinking that the correct way to be a fan is to keep it quiet because we are getting new stuff that is wrong IMO.


_______________
Link to the T Rex Spinosaurus rematch in Jurassic World 3 petition that Colin Trevorrow noted. We hope everyone joins and help us share it.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JVM
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 79
Points : 998
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:03 pm

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
I think everyone needs to remember something that is often lost in these discussions...

Whenever a fan really hates something in the movies or whenever a fan is unhappy with the way Universal is running the show it is not because they hate the franchise at this point but rather because he or she cares too much for it.

I am sure everyone has seen the phrase nobody hates Star Wars like a Star Wars fan. Well no, it is the opposite. It is such a dear memory and that we like it for quite a few particular reasons and whenever those reasons are given huge changes that ruin what we liked the series so much for in the first place, one can not just tell them to just force themselves to like it or go away. That will not all of the sudden make it better.

Pointing out stuff that makes no sense is not a bad thing as long as it is not done with malice in mind. Trying to invalidate another fans legit argument is. Thinking that the correct way to be a fan is to keep it quiet because we are getting new stuff that is wrong IMO.

You're putting words into a lot of people's mouths right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
#TRexSpinorematch
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
avatar

Posts : 307
Points : 873
Reputation : 8
Join date : 2017-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:38 pm

@JVM wrote:
#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
I think everyone needs to remember something that is often lost in these discussions...

Whenever a fan really hates something in the movies or whenever a fan is unhappy with the way Universal is running the show it is not because they hate the franchise at this point but rather because he or she cares too much for it.

I am sure everyone has seen the phrase nobody hates Star Wars like a Star Wars fan. Well no, it is the opposite. It is such a dear memory and that we like it for quite a few particular reasons and whenever those reasons are given huge changes that ruin what we liked the series so much for in the first place, one can not just tell them to just force themselves to like it or go away. That will not all of the sudden make it better.

Pointing out stuff that makes no sense is not a bad thing as long as it is not done with malice in mind. Trying to invalidate another fans legit argument is. Thinking that the correct way to be a fan is to keep it quiet because we are getting new stuff that is wrong IMO.

You're putting words into a lot of people's mouths right now.

I am generalizing, of course not every single fan is exactly like that. I am not saying each and every single fan is like that but many in fact are and fall under those 2 groups. I am not assuming here, I am saying what I very often see on the internet. You can see that what I am saying is true by just taking a look at this forum, or just reading any internet conversation about any major franchise.

_______________
Link to the T Rex Spinosaurus rematch in Jurassic World 3 petition that Colin Trevorrow noted. We hope everyone joins and help us share it.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TyrannosaurTJ
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
avatar

Posts : 126
Points : 774
Reputation : 13
Join date : 2017-03-11
Location : Ohio, United States

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:41 pm

The problem is when the fans just merely hate anything because it's new and different. Mostly new and different suggests it diverges too much from the original material the person fell in love with or enjoyed at first. Ultimately though people hate change and change to something that you've felt you have known for 20+ years gets a little disconcerting and causes upset. Most find themselves in the position where they suddenly don't know everything and it gets enraging. Especially for those that felt they did and comforted themselves on that fact.

End of the day though there are people that just really don't like new things as well. They can't place a reason on it, so they attack and reject it thinking they can change it. There are people that react badly at first and get used to it because they finally accepted it or found something to like and then there's the ones that grab their toys and leave the sandbox by disappearing in the void never to be heard from again as they close the book on that aspect of their lives.

That said, fandom is toxic in some ways too because there's always more people that disagree with the idea for similar reasons as you and these people will feed off each other and inspire infinite levels of ranting that gets cyclic and ruins it for everyone else that doesn't mind the new stuff or has otherwise accepted it and realized that things change. Thing evolve. Things adapt. Often times the crying of hatedom simply bounds people together on hating the thing because it's new and different and nothing like the old. There's plenty of people in this fandom that are doing exactly that day-in and day-out. Some have been doing exactly that since JP3 over that particular fight for instance. Point of fact, it's in every fandom.

When it comes to fictional universes and immersion we are only observers - we are an audience. Not all will attract us, not all will push us away, not all we will like/dislike, but at the end of the day if people are constructive and reasonable about things instead of behaving like a conspiracy theorist and engineering reasons why the new stuff is terrible and why no one is up to no good with it, we can actually give useful feedback to help make the series better and improve it. That said, some people just love to complain and belittle everything and those people are obviously a-holes and need to do the world a favor and disappear into the void for eternity.

_______________

Paleontology Enthusiast, Life long Learner, Citizen Scientist, Jurassic-series Media Archivist
Jurassic-Pedia - The Jurassic Encyclopedia
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1003
Points : 2989
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:22 am

I think generalizing “film buffs” as seeing these plot holes and such acting like it makes them sound better than other movie goers is pretty off base. I’d absolutely consider myself a movie buff, but not a film school student or film maker, and I like all kinds of movies. I love Fallen Kingdom. I love Schindler’s List. I love Jason Takes Manhattan. We can like all kinds of films despite if they totally make sense or everything gets explained in a film. Some don’t like the DPG sites, that’s fine, but I seriously doubt they were a preemptive plot hole filler, especially as those that made it in pretty sure didn’t get early access to the film.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1818
Points : 3925
Reputation : 34
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:43 am

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
Whenever a fan really hates something in the movies or whenever a fan is unhappy with the way Universal is running the show it is not because they hate the franchise at this point but rather because he or she cares too much for it.


And thus, the phrase "it's just a movie" comes into play.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Day of the Dead: Bloodline (2018.
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E24).
Last Video Game Played: Forza Horizon 4 (XBO).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4420
Points : 5503
Reputation : 64
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:23 pm

@Dead2009 wrote:
#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
Whenever a fan really hates something in the movies or whenever a fan is unhappy with the way Universal is running the show it is not because they hate the franchise at this point but rather because he or she cares too much for it.


And thus, the phrase "it's just a movie" comes into play.

Not exactly. Jurassic Park was different then most other movies in that is, or at least the first 2 movies were, far more grounded in reality and were smarter then most. By saying that "it's just a movie" is basically just allowing Universal to not only disrespect the franchise, but also its creator, Micheal Crichton.




@TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
The problem is when the fans just merely hate anything because it's new and different. Mostly new and different suggests it diverges too much from the original material the person fell in love with or enjoyed at first. Ultimately though people hate change and change to something that you've felt you have known for 20+ years gets a little disconcerting and causes upset. Most find themselves in the position where they suddenly don't know everything and it gets enraging. Especially for those that felt they did and comforted themselves on that fact.

End of the day though there are people that just really don't like new things as well. They can't place a reason on it, so they attack and reject it thinking they can change it. There are people that react badly at first and get used to it because they finally accepted it or found something to like and then there's the ones that grab their toys and leave the sandbox by disappearing in the void never to be heard from again as they close the book on that aspect of their lives.


When it comes to fictional universes and immersion we are only observers - we are an audience. Not all will attract us, not all will push us away, not all we will like/dislike, but at the end of the day if people are constructive and reasonable about things instead of behaving like a conspiracy theorist and engineering reasons why the new stuff is terrible and why no one is up to no good with it, we can actually give useful feedback to help make the series better and improve it. That said, some people just love to complain and belittle everything and those people are obviously a-holes and need to do the world a favor and disappear into the void for eternity.


That or whatever is new is simply bad. Sorry, but saying that fans just hate new things isn't quite accurate. Just look at the how the SJW psychos have hijacked the comic book branch of Marvel. Carol Danvers being a she-male semi-fascistic woman, Captain America being a Nazi/Hydra agent, need I go on? Fans don't hate them because they are different, they hate them because they are not good and are disrespectful to not only the fans, but also their creators and the franchise. Note how the MCU, head by Kevin Feige, doesn't have this problem. Because of how he mixes the new with old without disrespecting anything.

Also saying that 'we are only observers - we are an audience" is not true. Look at the fan outrage over Zilla '98, X3, Wolverine Origins, Man Of Steel, Fant4stic, and even GB 2016. Don't tell me those outrages didn't have any effect. They did.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton




If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyrant Lizard
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1203
Points : 2749
Reputation : 91
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Over there

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Fan outrage over Zilla literally stopped Zilla 2 from being made.

If that's the goal here, then expect some significant opposition.

_______________
Dinosaurs still rule the earth

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Robotpo
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
avatar

Posts : 304
Points : 896
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2017-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 pm

@TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
The problem is when the fans just merely hate anything because it's new and different.

This...there are legitimate criticisms to be made of FK, (and each to her/her own opinion), but to an extent many of the "It's not Jurassic Park" complaints seem to be simply rejecting something that's not people trapped on an island again.

Luckily one can always re-watch the first three movies (and to an extent the fourth, though they weren't really "trapped" in JW).

Frankly every fan base has the same complaints...at least Amblin isn't calling those with didn't like FK "white supremacist misogynists" ALA certain people at LucasFilm and the TLJ backlash.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
#TRexSpinorematch
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
avatar

Posts : 307
Points : 873
Reputation : 8
Join date : 2017-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Yesterday at 8:48 am

@Dead2009 wrote:
#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
Whenever a fan really hates something in the movies or whenever a fan is unhappy with the way Universal is running the show it is not because they hate the franchise at this point but rather because he or she cares too much for it.


And thus, the phrase "it's just a movie" comes into play.

But see? That is the invalidation that I am talking about.

If we go that route then one could very well say that if it is just a movie then why do you waste so much time on a forum talking about it? Why even bother to go to a concert of an artist if it is just a person after all? But the reason why that line of thought is wrong is because there is no such thing as the correct amount of being a fan. There is no right or wrong way to feel about it. Those are all arbitrary standards on the imagination of others.

Just because to you it is only a movie does not invalidate how others feel about it. You have to remember that not everybody is you. Not everyone has to feel like you and maybe to you it is just another movie. But to others it might be the highlight of their childhood, their favorite series, the reason why they became interested in movies and so on. Try to open your mind to put yourself in the shoes of others instead of this my way is the correct way line of thought. And that is not even directed at just you but I think anyone and everyone on fandoms on the internet needs to understand that.

_______________
Link to the T Rex Spinosaurus rematch in Jurassic World 3 petition that Colin Trevorrow noted. We hope everyone joins and help us share it.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4420
Points : 5503
Reputation : 64
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Yesterday at 5:16 pm

@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Fan outrage over Zilla literally stopped Zilla 2 from being made.

If that's the goal here, then expect some significant opposition.

Please don't accuse me of pushing goals that I never said, let alone ever hoped to achieve. All that I'm asking is that if fan outrage worked in the cases I listed, then why can't the fans pressure Uni to make this franchise larger and be more faithful to being grounded in reality and common sense. If you want to say that the fan outrage to Zilla '98 is different then what I'm pushing, so be it. But please don't try to twist what I'm saying.



@Robotpo wrote:
@TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
The problem is when the fans just merely hate anything because it's new and different.

This...there are legitimate criticisms to be made of FK, (and each to her/her own opinion), but to an extent many of the "It's not Jurassic Park" complaints seem to be simply rejecting something that's not people trapped on an island again.

Luckily one can always re-watch the first three movies (and to an extent the fourth, though they weren't really "trapped" in JW).

Frankly every fan base has the same complaints...at least Amblin isn't calling those with didn't like FK "white supremacist misogynists" ALA certain people at LucasFilm and the TLJ backlash.


I don't disagree that some fans are like that. But there are others, like me, who believe that the new is handled very poorly.

Case in point: The ending of JW:FK. Does anybody really believe that the dinosaurs wouldn't get wiped out by SWAT/National Guard within 1-5 months? The answer is a big, fat NO! Throw in every redneck, hillbilly, and mountain man who would want to hunt dinosaurs and that time frame is reduced to 1-2 months. If the ending happened in either Africa or South America, then I'd believe it far more, since both those continents are well known for for having very weak/corrupt national governments. It would also be far more believable for dinosaurs to be made in the Congo rainforest, where Wu would use legends of cryptosaurs (Mokele-Mbembe) as cover. The fact that most of it isn't properly explored also makes it even better.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton




If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.


Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
#TRexSpinorematch
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
avatar

Posts : 307
Points : 873
Reputation : 8
Join date : 2017-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Yesterday at 5:54 pm

@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Fan outrage over Zilla literally stopped Zilla 2 from being made.

If that's the goal here, then expect some significant opposition.

I have never seen anyone here, or in any other Jurassic related site trying to get Universal to stop anything and everything Jurassic.

No fan is wishing for the series to go full stop.

_______________
Link to the T Rex Spinosaurus rematch in Jurassic World 3 petition that Colin Trevorrow noted. We hope everyone joins and help us share it.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyrant Lizard
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1203
Points : 2749
Reputation : 91
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Over there

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   Yesterday at 6:07 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
Please don't accuse me of pushing goals that I never said, let alone ever hoped to achieve. All that I'm asking is that if fan outrage worked in the cases I listed, then why can't the fans pressure Uni to make this franchise larger and be more faithful to being grounded in reality and common sense. If you want to say that the fan outrage to Zilla '98 is different then what I'm pushing so be. But please don't try to twist what I'm saying.

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
I have never seen anyone here, or in any other Jurassic related site trying to get Universal to stop anything and everything Jurassic.

No fan is wishing for the series to go full stop.

Just saying that significant backlash can cause a variety of different outcomes, and not all of them are good. Now I obviously don't see JW3 being cancelled, as both JW and FK raked in literally billions of dollars, but it is important to acknowledge that, while the squeaky wheel usually gets the grease, if the wheel keeps squeaking it's eventually going to be taken off and replaced, or the squeaky wheel will simply break off and the whole wagon will come crashing down.

_______________
Dinosaurs still rule the earth

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Anyone else think this about the sites now?   

Back to top Go down
 
Anyone else think this about the sites now?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» blog sites
» RMXP Helpful Resource Sites
» Free Press Release Sites for your Book Promotion Efforts
» Best Sci-Fi Genre News Sites?
» Good, successful writer websites?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Franchise :: Film Universe :: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Talk-
Jump to: