Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inJurassic-Pedia

Share | 

General Movie Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:08 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
It looks like this summer was even worse for Hollywood then we thought.

This looks to be the first summer since 2006 that the summer box office made less then $4 billion dollars. It also took a 16% drop from last year.

It wasn't for Guardian Of The Galaxy Vol. 2, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man: Homecoming, then this summer would REALLY be ugly. So far, it looks like Avengers: Infinity War and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom/JP5 are the two movies that will carry next summer.

It's also the first time since summer 2009 that there has not(yet) been a billion dollar summer movie.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/6mk08r/2017_is_the_first_summer_without_a_billion_dollar/

These days studios are realizing that a movie has the potential to be a billion dollar hit if it's placed in the Spring or Winter months, as we've seen from Beauty and the Beast, Zootopia, CA: Civil War, Fate of the Furious and the last two Star Wars movies. I'm certain that if Batman v Superman didn't have all those that it had problems and wasn't as widely disliked as it was (and the only version we ever saw was the ultimate edition) it would have made it to $1 billion no problem. The last summer release to hit a $1 billion globally was Finding Dory in 2016.

Or they can just MAKE BETTER MOVIES! Look, I get that superhero movies and Star Wars are the rage now. But if you make a good movie and have a good marketing campaign, it will succeed. There's a market for non-superhero movies too. Jurassic World proved that. You can even throw in the 2014 version of Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island. (Granted that was a spring movie, but I'm adding it since it fits with the non-superhero movies the succeeded.)

I agree there. My original point is that the summer is not the only month where a movie could becoming the highest grossing of the year. That's why there are a lot of major releases in those months and summer is becoming depopulated and filled with mediocre or crap films with the occasional surprise.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TRK
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:42 pm

Agreed, look at Planet of the Apes. Reeves did a fantastic job with all three films.

Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:17 pm

https://twitter.com/AdamWingard/status/902660431059156992

Apparently Adam Wingard got 'positive' reaction from Netflix with Death Note...

Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:18 pm

'The Crow' reboot somehow got to Sony Pictures.

At this point, between to soon-to-be-made Metal Gear Solid movie and this, Sony is flailing for anything that can work. Other then Spider-Man, they don't have much, and James Bond is MGM's property with Sony merely distributing it.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:43 pm

Speaking of the MGS movie...
https://twitter.com/VogtRoberts/status/903808663982362626

Vogt is now going after Honest trailers after his previous body slam of cinema sins.

Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:40 am

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
It looks like this summer was even worse for Hollywood then we thought.

This looks to be the first summer since 2006 that the summer box office made less then $4 billion dollars. It also took a 16% drop from last year.

It wasn't for Guardian Of The Galaxy Vol. 2, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man: Homecoming, then this summer would REALLY be ugly. So far, it looks like Avengers: Infinity War and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom/JP5 are the two movies that will carry next summer.

It's also the first time since summer 2009 that there has not(yet) been a billion dollar summer movie.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/6mk08r/2017_is_the_first_summer_without_a_billion_dollar/

These days studios are realizing that a movie has the potential to be a billion dollar hit if it's placed in the Spring or Winter months, as we've seen from Beauty and the Beast, Zootopia, CA: Civil War, Fate of the Furious and the last two Star Wars movies. I'm certain that if Batman v Superman didn't have all those that it had problems and wasn't as widely disliked as it was (and the only version we ever saw was the ultimate edition) it would have made it to $1 billion no problem. The last summer release to hit a $1 billion globally was Finding Dory in 2016.

Or they can just MAKE BETTER MOVIES! Look, I get that superhero movies and Star Wars are the rage now. But if you make a good movie and have a good marketing campaign, it will succeed. There's a market for non-superhero movies too. Jurassic World proved that. You can even throw in the 2014 version of Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island. (Granted that was a spring movie, but I'm adding it since it fits with the non-superhero movies the succeeded.)

I agree there. My original point is that the summer is not the only month where a movie could becoming the highest grossing of the year. That's why there are a lot of major releases in those months and summer is becoming depopulated and filled with mediocre or crap films with the occasional surprise.

The positive to this is that we now actually have things to watch throughout the year atleast. Instead of sitting around waiting for next summer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:45 am

@Sickle_Claw wrote:

Vogt is now going after Honest trailers after his previous body slam of cinema sins.

If he actually goes all out and gets triggered over this I'm going to lose what little respect I have for the guy, if any.

I mean I halfway understood the cinema sins thing because some of its straight up inaccurate. But honestly the fact he went on a Twitter rampage shows a lot of his insecurities IMO.  And if he does it with honest trailers I don't understand how he got in the business to begin with.

Isn't part of being a film maker atleast listening to criticism and having a sense of humor about the whole thing even if it's wrong? Sheesh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:49 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
@Sickle_Claw wrote:

If he actually goes all out and gets triggered over this I'm going to lose what little respect I have for the guy, if any.

I mean I halfway understood the cinema sins thing because some of its straight up inaccurate. But honestly the fact he went on a Twitter rampage shows a lot of his insecurities IMO.  And if he does it with honest trailers I don't understand how he got in the business to begin with.

Isn't part of being a film maker atleast listening to criticism and having a sense of humor about the whole thing even if it's wrong? Sheesh.

Between Sony getting the rights to make the MGS movie, Avi Arad being the producer of it, and Tom Rothman still heading Sony Pictures, not to mention that most Metal Gear games have TONS of moving parts, I never had any hope in this movie. But with this director being so thin-skinned, I can't help but wonder if this will be the Fant4stic of video game movies. And as a Metal Gear fan, that's the last thing I want.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:07 pm

According to The Wrap, this years box office attendance will be the lowest since 1992.

Worse, this Labor Day weekend might be the worst since 1999.

Just imagine how bad it would be if Disney wasn't the juggernaut it currently is.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Hollywood Calls a Wrap on $3.8 Billion Summer, Worst Since 2006

Quote :
The credits have rolled on Hollywood’s worst summer in a decade, closing out with a dismal Labor Day weekend that was the first in a generation without a big, new movie opening in wide release.

The summer drew a little more than $3.8 billion in sales, the first time the season’s tally has dipped below the $4 billion mark since 2006, according to Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at researcher ComScore Inc. The holiday weekend generated about $99.5 million in U.S. and Canadian theaters from Friday through Monday, the least since 1998, according to Comscore data.

Honestly I enjoyed a lot of movies this year but I view this as a good thing. Studios have to learn some way that certain franchises just can't hold their own anymore and got stale.

And yes Rhed, Disney really held them up. I still think certain movies deserved to do better than they actually did.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-04/hollywood-calls-a-wrap-on-3-8-billion-summer-worst-since-2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/6y2s34/hollywood_calls_a_wrap_on_38_billion_summer_worst/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:16 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
Hollywood Calls a Wrap on $3.8 Billion Summer, Worst Since 2006

Quote :
The credits have rolled on Hollywood’s worst summer in a decade, closing out with a dismal Labor Day weekend that was the first in a generation without a big, new movie opening in wide release.

The summer drew a little more than $3.8 billion in sales, the first time the season’s tally has dipped below the $4 billion mark since 2006, according to Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at researcher ComScore Inc. The holiday weekend generated about $99.5 million in U.S. and Canadian theaters from Friday through Monday, the least since 1998, according to Comscore data.

Honestly I enjoyed a lot of movies this year but I view this as a good thing. Studios have to learn some way that certain franchises just can't hold their own anymore and got stale.

And yes Rhed, Disney really held them up. I still think certain movies deserved to do better than they actually did.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-04/hollywood-calls-a-wrap-on-3-8-billion-summer-worst-since-2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/6y2s34/hollywood_calls_a_wrap_on_38_billion_summer_worst/

Hopefully Fox and WB can rebound next year. We already know that Disney will dominate the year, with both Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War doing very well, the latter alone will make at least $2 billion by many predictions. And Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom will make enough for Universal to be very happy. Sony and Paramount on the other hand...they're screwed.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:37 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:48 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:
@Sickle_Claw wrote:

Between Sony getting the rights to make the MGS movie, Avi Arad being the producer of it, and Tom Rothman still heading Sony Pictures, not to mention that most Metal Gear games have TONS of moving parts, I never had any hope in this movie. But with this director being so thin-skinned, I can't help but wonder if this will be the Fant4stic of video game movies. And as a Metal Gear fan, that's the last thing I want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTFPCuQfvw&feature=youtu.be

Vogt took it pretty well, since he worked with Honest Trailers to cameo in the skull island one.

Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:29 pm

http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:26 pm

I saw the new 'IT' movie. I was pretty impressed as someone who didn't have a strong interest in the movie to start with.

There were quite a few good scenes NOT in the trailers that really surprised me. Which is pretty damn rare in this day and age.

Personally some of the CGI was a bit off putting in certain scenes. It was like it was obviously intentional to look weird or cartoonish, but it didn't always work for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:40 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
I saw the new 'IT' movie. I was pretty impressed as someone who didn't have a strong interest in the movie to start with.

There were quite a few good scenes NOT in the trailers that really surprised me. Which is pretty damn rare in this day and age.

Personally some of the CGI was a bit off putting in certain scenes. It was like it was obviously intentional to look weird or cartoonish, but it didn't always work for me.

Nice, I am going to see it on tuesday or maybe sunday because my sister wants to see it as well.

Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:26 pm

It looks like J-Law may have damaged her chances of her new movie doing well.

She basically implied that America deserves the hurricanes for voting in Trump as president.

When are movie studios going to consider issuing gag orders or something via actors/actresses talking politics? Crap like this is part of the reason why people don't see movies as much.

Not only that, but it's part of the reason why Trump got elected in the first place. Watch this video from 1:38 on.

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:40 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
It looks like J-Law may have damaged her chances of her her movie doing well.

She basically implied that America deserves the hurricanes for voting in Trump as president.

When are movie studios going to consider issuing gag orders or something via actors/actresses talking politics? Crap like this is part of the reason why people don't see movies as much.

Not only that, but it's part of the reason why Trump got elected in the first place. Watch this video from 1:38 on.

I dont understand this mindset of thinking, basically saying that people deserve to die. And then people defending that saying "its just a joke" okay so she made a joke that people deserved to die.

Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:36 pm

@Sickle_Claw wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
It looks like J-Law may have damaged her chances of her her movie doing well.

I dont understand this mindset of thinking, basically saying that people deserve to die. And then people defending that saying "its just a joke" okay so she made a joke that people deserved to die.

And I don't understand how she thinks this will help her chances of her new movie doing well. The whole 'no such thing as bad publicity' mindset was destroyed with the smear campaign that was part of GB2016 and to a lesser degree, Josh Trank's offstage antics while making Fant4stic. You could even argue it was dead before that via Twitter and Facebook. Hasn't ANYBODY told her to shut up about politics by now?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:24 pm

'It' is absolutely destroying at the box office. Biggest opening day for an R rated film! It'll clear 100 million by Sunday IMO.

Quote :
'It' grosses $51M on Friday. That is the biggest opening day ever for an R-rated film, it has already passed the biggest September opening weekend record in just one day, and it's only $1.5M away from the biggest horror opening weekend ever (Paranormal Activity 3 - $52.5M)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/weekend-box-office-it-movie-scares-up-record-thursday-night-1036714

Please let this be a sign to Hollywood that good remakes are fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:55 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
'It' is absolutely destroying at the box office. Biggest opening day for an R rated film! It'll clear 100 million by Sunday IMO.

Quote :
'It' grosses $51M on Friday. That is the biggest opening day ever for an R-rated film, it has already passed the biggest September opening weekend record in just one day, and it's only $1.5M away from the biggest horror opening weekend ever (Paranormal Activity 3 - $52.5M)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/weekend-box-office-it-movie-scares-up-record-thursday-night-1036714

I just came out of IT...It was amazing and incredible. If the box office keeps up, this will ABSOLUTELY get a the amazing sequel it deserves.

Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:47 pm

@Sickle_Claw wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:

Quote :

I just came out of IT...It was amazing and incredible. If the box office keeps up, this will ABSOLUTELY get a the amazing sequel it deserves.

Glad you liked it!

Not to be a hater or anything, but it's absolutely staggering that this movie made more in ONE day than dark tower has made domestically in total.....

Now obviously Dark Tower didn't get the greatest of reviews but it's still a PG-13 action summer blockbuster. While IT is R rated and placed in September. Really stark contrast between the two King movies.

Also if it weren't for the hurricane IT may have done even a bit better.

My huge hope is that this will show studios that you can remake a beloved classic and do it right, and get rewarded massively.

1. Make a good film
2. Market it well and aggressively
3. Place it where there is little competition or other movies of the same genre out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:01 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
@Sickle_Claw wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:

Quote :

Glad you liked it!

Not to be a hater or anything, but it's absolutely staggering that this movie made more in ONE day than dark tower has made domestically in total.....

Now obviously Dark Tower didn't get the greatest of reviews but it's still a PG-13 action summer blockbuster. While IT is R rated and placed in September. Really stark contrast between the two King movies.

Also if it weren't for the hurricane IT may have done even a bit better.

My huge hope is that this will show studios that you can remake a beloved classic and do it right, and get rewarded massively.

1. Make a good film
2. Market it well and aggressively
3. Place it where there is little competition or other movies of the same genre out.

Its a shame Dark Tower has no chance at getting the franchise run it deserved. IT is good for a sequel and thats pretty much it...but Dark Tower could have been the vehicle to making the interconnected King Universe. Yeah, I saw a packed house at the theater and people of all ages, even little kids.

Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:16 pm

Roland Emmerich will direct a movie about The Battle Of Midway for Lionsgate.

They should have gotten Spielberg or Nolan. Sorry, but Emmerich is the wrong fit to make a movie about such a major game changer in WW2 and one of the most important battles in naval warfare history.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:38 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:

They should have gotten Spielberg or Nolan. Sorry, but Emmerich is the wrong fit to make a movie about such a major game changer in WW2 and one of the most important battles in naval warfare history.

If anything, it'll be guaranteed to be entertaining.

Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:14 am

@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Woah.

That's gonna be cheesy as hell most likely. Weird choice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:16 am

@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Yeah, this strikes me as an extremely wrong-headed choice. This reminds me of how he directed The Patriot shortly after Zilla, but that was really more of a good vs evil popcorn movie in the vein of Braveheart than a historical war epic. He's trying to salvage his directing cred by echoing his past pattern of success, even though the simple fact of the matter is - he hasn't got it anymore.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:42 pm

I had heard he was planning on it. He wants to go back to more dramatic roles like the ones he plays in "Schindler's List" and "Michael Collins".

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   

Back to top Go down

General Movie Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 25 of 31Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next