Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)
 
Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarAbout UsJurassic-PediaFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 JPLegacy Memorial Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Lord Kristine
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 168
Points : 1058
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2016-06-07

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:51 am

We were also robbed of the encyclopedia, which I find disgusting. All that information that people like me relied on for writing is just gone. We have no culture, and a tree with no roots cannot stand. I admire the attempt to salvage the situation, but we've already miscarried our hope. I choose not to ignore the blood.

_______________
Claire Dearing is a Stegoceratops and you can't disprove that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megaspino2
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 227
Points : 1610
Reputation : 13
Join date : 2016-06-07

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:59 am

The encyclopedia was something the whole staff didn't think was a great idea because of two reasons; one was that it was Ty's wishes to not have thr encyclopedia put up again. Now I do understand that a great deal of people contributed to it over years but at the end of the day it was Ty's original project on his site. Basically when anyone did anything of that nature for the site it legally became Ty's because of the disclaimer of ownership. This is something that many organizations use so it's not like it was an uncommon practice. Is it 100% fair? No, but unfortunately this isn't a perfect world so things like this will occur from time to time. Since it was technically Ty's possession we wanted to respect his wishes.

The second reason was because the encyclopedia was known to cause problems and draw criticism from other parties outside of the site. Plagiarism is an issue, and trying to police an entire franchise worth of canon ideals was something we didn't want to become involved in or associated with. At the end of the day the encyclopedia would have most likely caused some of the same issues that were at the root of JPL's demise.

I do understand though if people feel the need to leave or distance themselves from the site. I will not try to twist anyone's arm into doing something they don't want to in their heart but for the people who do want to build back up then this site will be there for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kristine
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 168
Points : 1058
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2016-06-07

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:11 am

This new site just can't work. It's like a market: while it may get significant traffic, each individual booth isn't thriving, especially specialized ones like mine. One by one, we will start to break away. I just don't know if I can trust anyone anymore. I'm not losing hope. My hope was taken by force when I saw how little people stood up for the users' rights.

_______________
Claire Dearing is a Stegoceratops and you can't disprove that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spiegel
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
avatar

Posts : 444
Points : 2917
Reputation : 25
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Waverly, NY

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:32 am

I'm going to voice a few opinions here as I think it’s very important we open our eyes to some things. You may not like them but these are my views and I believe the come from a very factual place.

1. The removal to JPL was selfish. Let’s look at the reasoning you have proposed for its shut down here. Also I'm sure a lot of us can remember the closing threads on JPL.

@Megaspino2 wrote:
I do understand where you're coming from Lk and I do feel bad for your loss but sometimes people just get to a breaking point with things. I won't put Ty down because he decided to wash his hands with the site but I agree that the torch could have been passed to us. I feel the staff here are more than capable of running this place and I have no doubt we could have run things at Jpl just fine.

On one final note though, can you honestly blame Ty for all the crap he had been taking over the years to just get to a breaking point? His methods of operation were questionable at times but I doubt many people could have lasted as long as he did.

So what we have here is he failure to see that the community should outweigh the individual. Ty reached his breaking point because he couldn't stand the idea that JPL canon and website were the only thoughts, ideas, and opinions that the fans believed it. No matter how you look at it, JPL was a fan built website, it was not owned by the original creator of the Jurassic Park idea, Michael Crichton, or the any of the directors or producers from the film franchise. The canon formed at JPL, which was well researched and approached in a way that attempted to remove opinion, seemed very logical and correct. However, there are plot holes in the books and movies that can only lead to speculation, theories, and opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own and if they don’t prescribe to JPL's that’s their own right. Ty could not deal with anyone having thoughts outside of JPL's canon, no matter how logical and well proven they were, you can’t own the Internet's view on a franchise. You can’t. His inability to accept others existing, yes I mean the idea of other websites having fans that agreed to a canon outside of JPL's, was the demise of JPL. Its literally like talking religion. Everyone has their own beliefs. However, because Muslims exist, or different sects of the same religion, you don’t burn all the bibles and forget the religion existed, storing the scripture in an Ark somewhere hidden away for all time. The idea that we are capable of saying we don’t want anyone to think any different from us, even if the plagiarize and use some of the same ideas thus making their thoughts have some of the same foundation as ours, is ridiculous. Stop clinging to the idea that its ok to remove all the work done by the community because one man "hit his breaking point," over people having different thoughts on their own sites, and took it away is ok.

2. The "Poor Ty" pity party needs to stop. Really, you are literally putting the issues of one man before an entire community. JPL wasnt just a well researched wealth of knowledge about the Jurassic park franchise. It was also a safe haven and a harbor for a lot of people who felt socially awkward, dealing with their own mental blocks, and brought together by an interests that some would have belittled them for. It was taken away from those people.

Richard Levine wrote:

Tyrannosaur lost 15+ years of his life being in this fandom and getting treated like shit for trying to establish a set canon and basic guidelines for the community yet was taken over by a site where one of the people who run it literally said "Canon is your opinion".

Ty did not own Jurassic Park, the franchise, or the views of every person to have any interest in it. His 15 year commitment was his own, it was a hobby. He wasn't a paid researcher. He didn’t have to listen to any member from any other JP fansite's opinion about his canon. He didn’t have to let them unsettle him to the point that he gave up. The idea that canon is opinion is absolutely correct because unless it’s from Crichton or Spielberg, the actual creators, it is not a fact. If Spielberg came out and said that Rexy is not the same T-Rex as the one from Jurassic Park than that is as factual as it gets.

Ty's actions in removing the community were completely selfish and only show his inability to cope with the idea that anyone could have opinions outside his own. When he couldnt deal with it, he didnt pass on the torch or take a step back. He literally stripped away not only the work of others but the safe haven everyone found in JPL. Thats unfair and is literally saying that Ty's issues outweigh everyone else’s. It needs to stop. He did good things. He had an awesome site. However, his actions were narcissistic and much like a toddlers. Here's how it went down:

JPL: "This is the canon as set down by this website, the largest JP fansite, and thus the correct website in all views and beliefs. It should be accepted by all"
JP Fansite: "I don’t agree with your views and have my own. I'm going to make my own website to express my views and opinions."
JPL: "No there is only one holy text and that is the encyclopedia at JPL. Your views are fake."
JP Fansite: "I don’t agree so I'm going to follow my own opinions and beliefs."
JPL: "If you're not going to agree with me and think that some of ideas arent as good as yours, then I'm going to delete the website, throw the community to the wind, and take everyone's work. If I cant have my way, then my followers can’t have our joint beliefs either."
JPL Community: "Can’t we keep the site and maybe you leave or take a break"
JPL: "No, it’s my way for all JP fans or no one gets to enjoy any of it."
*JPL and everything associated deleted or moved to secret bunker hidden near the top of Mount Everest*

That’s sick. That’s selfish. That’s one man's inability to cope with not having complete control over a franchise. That is narcissism

3. When Ty took the encyclopedia project and opened it the public to contribute to I don’t believe he ever said to anyone that the work done was to fall under his sole custody. You can claim that the disclaimer on the website or forum allows him to take it all as his own but I'd be curious to see how that would play out if it were to be published and there was monetary gain taken in from sales. I'd like to see that in a court room. Also, why is it Ty or the Staff of JPL's right to decide that any of its contributors care of if its plagiarized. What would happen if everyone that ever submitted an article saved it and said screw it, giving it to another site? What would the opinion be than? Its almost like how there are multiple versions of Christianity and the bible, except instead of saying well we're sort of one in the same in our beliefs so its ok if parts of the scripture are the same between different versions, instead only one can exist and if everyone is going to copy it the original will be burned. Plagiarism isn’t cool but if it some of the same views are shared between different website canons doesn’t that bring us together? Isnt that the root cause of this whole ordeal? Aren’t we feeding into the idea that no other ideas should exist so we take away our version. It’s like surrendering without even standing up for yourself. It’s like saying if I can’t be the only one than this isn’t worth it.

@Megaspino2 wrote:
The encyclopedia was something the whole staff didn't think was a great idea because of two reasons; one was that it was Ty's wishes to not have the encyclopedia put up again. Now I do understand that a great deal of people contributed to it over years but at the end of the day it was Ty's original project on his site. Basically when anyone did anything of that nature for the site it legally became Ty's because of the disclaimer of ownership. This is something that many organizations use so it's not like it was an uncommon practice. Is it 100% fair? No, but unfortunately this isn't a perfect world so things like this will occur from time to time. Since it was technically Ty's possession we wanted to respect his wishes.

The second reason was because the encyclopedia was known to cause problems and draw criticism from other parties outside of the site. Plagiarism is an issue, and trying to police an entire franchise worth of canon ideals was something we didn't want to become involved in or associated with. At the end of the day the encyclopedia would have most likely caused some of the same issues that were at the root of JPL's demise.

I do understand though if people feel the need to leave or distance themselves from the site. I will not try to twist anyone's arm into doing something they don't want to in their heart but for the people who do want to build back up then this site will be there for them.


The contributions and time spent by members of JPL community on a project for and by the community need to be recognized. How is it ok for the encyclopedia to be withheld from the people who created it? Was it not created for the community or was it only created so that Ty could feel like he accomplished something? What’s more important Ty or the JP community because some of the reasoning here seems to be about only one person and doesn’t take into account the masses.
4. You're probably not going to like this one. I see myself not being allowed here anymore but its time for a serious self-evaluation of this forum and its staff. Yes, it has good intentions. Yes, its nicely built and is providing a form of refuge after the loss of JPL. However, this isn't a ok:

@TheDreamMaster wrote:

Based on your next post, I get that you've lost some things, and that always sucks. But it was a website, and we've tried our best to carry on from where it left off. We need people to post, we have some regular posters, and we get a couple new members here and there, but we really need the community to help us grow again. We all lost a little something with JPL, at least those that were on it a lot, but the site in that form isn't coming back. Why not try to move on, and help rebuild a better site?

On another note to everyone here, if you know anyone interested in JP, please mention this site. We're still moving on strong, but we need to get the word out that we exist.    

As a staff member you are a leader. Not board police. That’s part of the JPL Legacy I do believe. Not that there weren’t good or great staff, but more of their work seemed to be keeping people inline than being leaders. So why isn’t the staff here leading the way in reforming the community? Are there group events? What about a group project like creating a new encyclopedia or wiki? How about a community chat?

Lord Kristine has threads that have no activity aside from her own. Staff hasn't even acknowledged her work or existence let alone any members. How is that creating a community?

Caudipteryx posted a profile for approval on July 16th. On July 20th she posted a request for a staff member to review it as it had not been done yet. Its not July 26th, 10 days and neither has the profile been accepted or her request to have it reviewed acknowledged.

Oshronosaurus has posted threads with some ideas or activities and have the staff acknowledged or participated in that? No

I posted a thread about Build the Legend RPG, an idea that Ty was original for but never came to fruition because of my banning. Members have posted the idea of being excited about it. Has staff said a word or tried to contribute to bringing to life? No

Richard Levine was an admin here who posted news, made new banners, made new portraits for our ranks, and started work on the Forgotten World RPG. He's retired. He didn’t get a farewell. He didn’t get a public thank you. He seems to have just passed through the cracks. Staff has seemed to even acknowledge his contributions publicly.

So you can’t say the community has to drive itself. You are staff, you are at the helm. You're not a police force you should be a force of leadership within this community to drive forward the good parts of JPL's Legacy. Instead you're defending Ty's actions or saying we sort of have to get over it and just leaving this forum to sort itself out. You need to be guiding us. We need purpose in keeping this community going. Just because we make an associated site doesn’t make it an instant success. It requires work but I dont see any being put in aside from defending Ty on this thread.


So, in conclusion we need to let go of the JPL Legacy that was tainted and twisted. The portion that was stripped from the members who held it dear. WE need to stop defining the JP canon, franchise, and community based around the actions of one man, Ty, who did good things but in the end crapped all over his supporters. We need leadership here that does more than defend Ty like they’re worshiping an idol without acknowledging some of the valid complaints and emotions of former members. JPL is gone. It set high standards for a lot of things and it set horrid standards for others and what I see in this thread is former members of JPL being marginalized why we continue hero worship of a man that took away our work and community. I also see an inability to recognize flaws in a system that collapsed. These things need to be addressed and worked on.

I'll be waiting for a ban or a ton of "No you're wrong posts," but instead I hope see to some acknowledgement of what I think are some very valid points that could keep this forum and the refugees of JPL's community from dying out.
very valid points that could keep this forum and the refugees of JPL's community from dying out.

"Dr. Ian Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now
[bangs on the table]
Dr. Ian Malcolm: you're selling it, you wanna sell it. Well...
John Hammond: I don't think you're giving us our due credit. Our scientists have done things which nobody's ever done before...
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should. "

So here it is. Ty rode on the shoulders of geniuses to complete his work and took it away from those that made it possible. Now we are riding on the idea of JPL's success to create success here.

_______________
Jurassic Role Play: Live The Legend Redux
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://s15.zetaboards.com/JurassicRolePlay/index/
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1793
Points : 3856
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:35 am

@Lord Kristine wrote:
This new site just can't work. It's like a market: while it may get significant traffic, each individual booth isn't thriving, especially specialized ones like mine. One by one, we will start to break away. I just don't know if I can trust anyone anymore. I'm not losing hope. My hope was taken by force when I saw how little people stood up for the users' rights.

It can work, as long as people are doing their part. As the "market" booms, everything will get looked at, everything will get a chance to thrive. Success doesn't happen overnight, and everyone should expect that when opening up a new "business" so to speak.

As far as users rights go, we're essentially powerless when someone of power makes a decision and won't back away from it. Nobody wanted the other site to shut down, people were constantly suggesting a transfer to the staff so that the site could live on as a tribute to the guy who started it all, and he denied all of those requests. Once that happens, the power is out of our hands. All of the active members could of pleaded to keep the site open and it wouldn't of mattered.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Venom (2018.
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E21).
Last Video Game Played: Power Rangers: All Stars (Android).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Monolophosaurus
Embryo
Embryo
avatar

Posts : 43
Points : 907
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-06-09
Location : Home.

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:37 am

I'm starting to feel the same way. This site feels a little... dead. Not near completely, but it isn't as lively and fun as it was the first few weeks on here. At least the stuff that interested me on JPLegacy either isn't here, is here but no one uses it, or isn't the same.

And of course Ty wouldn't want the encyclopedia up, that sounds typical of him.

Regardless, I struggle to find ways to keep interest in this site, which is a shame because I was so hopeful for this site's future earlier (as seen by my earlier posts in this thread), but now I'm not so sure.

EDIT: Holy crap a lot of stuff got posted in the 60 seconds it took me to write this.

EDIT2: And Spiegel DEAR GOD you went HARD. I applaud you, some of that stuff is stuff I've wanted to say for so long but was so afraid to do so.

_______________
"All major theme parks have delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!"

"Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1793
Points : 3856
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:45 am

Again, success in a forum doesn't happen overnight. The site isn't even 2 months old so people have to give it room to breathe.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Venom (2018.
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E21).
Last Video Game Played: Power Rangers: All Stars (Android).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kristine
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 168
Points : 1058
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2016-06-07

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:10 pm

Trickle down effect doesn't work in real life, nor here. Sunken ships don't float or whatever.

_______________
Claire Dearing is a Stegoceratops and you can't disprove that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 583
Points : 3054
Reputation : 16
Join date : 2013-01-12
Location : Texas.

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:18 pm

If you dont like this place why dont you go to the JP Reddit or Jurassic Outpost lmao I'm seriously trying not to fucking let loose. Can someone block me from this site or something.

_______________

"A creature of the future, built with pieces of the past!"
"This is the most dangerous creature that ever walked the Earth!"
"That thing cannot leave this building."
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://natsukis.meme.bakery
Lord Kristine
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 168
Points : 1058
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2016-06-07

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:25 pm

There is no refuge. The Jurassic Fandom is dead.

_______________
Claire Dearing is a Stegoceratops and you can't disprove that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Monolophosaurus
Embryo
Embryo
avatar

Posts : 43
Points : 907
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-06-09
Location : Home.

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:33 pm

Richard Levine wrote:
If you dont like this place why dont you go to the JP Reddit or Jurassic Outpost lmao I'm seriously trying not to fucking let loose. Can someone block me from this site or something.

Traitorous Critic Fallacy/ergo decedo. Also an ad hominem, rather than debunking arguments you just make some offhand comment and act like that is sufficient. If you want this site to die, that's fine.

Actually the JP Reddit looks sort of appealing, but I wouldn't join there. Outpost looks pretty cool though.

_______________
"All major theme parks have delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!"

"Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1793
Points : 3856
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:00 pm

An Internet forum is not the end all be all of something. Fandoms don't extend to just Internet message boards, and there are a lot of people who are fans of a certain series that probably don't even know websites like these exist and if they do, they don't care. Just because this place isn't booming with activity right off the bat doesn't and shouldn't mean anything in the long run, and shouldn't be compared to its predcessor.

We don't need to be comparing Jurassic Park Legacy to what's going on over here because this is the site that needs the focus, the attention. This is the site that needs to thrive. I never expected every single thread to have a reply in them and I'm sure everybody didn't expect all the threads to have a lot of interest, that's just the way that works.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Venom (2018.
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E21).
Last Video Game Played: Power Rangers: All Stars (Android).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
avatar

Posts : 884
Points : 3603
Reputation : 59
Join date : 2012-04-06
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:20 pm

I've already sort of left this place myself. My interest for JP period has been fading lately, and the shutdown of JPL was kind of the nail in the coffin for me. I've been focusing on SW a lot lately, just because I've been becoming somewhat disillusioned with the fandom. Too many self serving people, and too much immaturity. And honestly, the separated Twitter accounts is only further indicative to me that people are separating the JW trilogy from the JP franchise. OG JP fans aren't the target demographic anymore. Universal is looking for a new gen to woo. This is why I've been sticking to SW lately. At least Disney/LFL cares enough about the OT SW fans to cater to them while simultaneously marketing towards the children of the OG SW.

Universal, they just do not care, and treat JP like a bastard child. I just can't relate to the JP fandom anymore, and Universal has partly had a hand in that. I cannot support trying to differentiate the JW movies from the originals, but that seems to be the future of the franchise. To me, it's still JP 5, but to everyone else, even Universal, it's Jurassic World 2. I've resigned to that fact. If Universal was smart, they'd treat it more like Star Wars, and welcome the nostalgic crowd. But they're not. Like Ghostbusters, they're creating Jurassic Park: The Next Generation. And they're treating it with out with the old and in with the new. We're just not the target demographic. The target demographic is younger Millennials. The people that are children and teenagers now. Not the 20-somethings and 30-somethings that grew up with the originals.

It's an unhealthy relationship, JW and I. I will always have JP, TLW and JP///, and maybe someday I can learn to appreciate JW for what it is. I'm just uncertain about where this franchise is going,but the direction it's hinting to is somewhere I cannot follow. Star Wars is being taken in the right direction, and it's a much healthier relationship between fan and studio. It's something I've had since childhood, just like JP. I started watching SW around the same time I saw JP, so it's always been there with me. Heh, I can still remember when I used to where my hooded bathrobe and swing my Ep. 1 Darth Maul lightsaber around my house when I was six. Then my Dad took it away from me because I kept hitting the walls with it. I like those memories. I have equally pleasant memories of JP. I used to walk around my back yard thinking I was Roland hunting dinosaurs. I'd wear my cowboy hat and run around my backyard with my Disney rifle. But that's all I have of JP, memories. JP isn't the same as it was in 2001. It's no longer a terrifying, action packed romp with dinosaurs. Now there's genetic hybrids and that's looking like the future of the franchise.

The iRex was well received by both fandom and audiences, so that means Universal is going to try more of that. Being well received means that more hybrids might be well received. However that's not the JP I know and love. It's the new JP, and it's here to stay. The JP I knew and loved didn't need genetic hybrids. It just needed dinosaurs, or at least dinosaurs as we perceived them in great 1990s. The JP I loved used environments, was atmospheric and used some of the greatest animatronics ever built. JW has none of that. I can only hope Bayona creates a JP like I remembered, but with the direction the themes are going, I'm not sure I can get used to the idea.

_______________
SOMETHING HAS SURVIVED
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 301
Points : 1205
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : The Hammond Creation Lab

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:48 pm

@CT-1138 wrote:
I've already sort of left this place myself. My interest for JP period has been fading lately, and the shutdown of JPL was kind of the nail in the coffin for me. I've been focusing on SW a lot lately, just because I've been becoming somewhat disillusioned with the fandom. Too many self serving people, and too much immaturity. And honestly, the separated Twitter accounts is only further indicative to me that people are separating the JW trilogy from the JP franchise. OG JP fans aren't the target demographic anymore. Universal is looking for a new gen to woo. This is why I've been sticking to SW lately. At least Disney/LFL cares enough about the OT SW fans to cater to them while simultaneously marketing towards the children of the OG SW.

Universal, they just do not care, and treat JP like a bastard child. I just can't relate to the JP fandom anymore, and Universal has partly had a hand in that. I cannot support trying to differentiate the JW movies from the originals, but that seems to be the future of the franchise. To me, it's still JP 5, but to everyone else, even Universal, it's Jurassic World 2. I've resigned to that fact. If Universal was smart, they'd treat it more like Star Wars, and welcome the nostalgic crowd. But they're not. Like Ghostbusters, they're creating Jurassic Park: The Next Generation. And they're treating it with out with the old and in with the new. We're just not the target demographic. The target demographic is younger Millennials. The people that are children and teenagers now. Not the 20-somethings and 30-somethings that grew up with the originals.

It's an unhealthy relationship, JW and I. I will always have JP, TLW and JP///, and maybe someday I can learn to appreciate JW for what it is. I'm just uncertain about where this franchise is going,but the direction it's hinting to is somewhere I cannot follow. Star Wars is being taken in the right direction, and it's a much healthier relationship between fan and studio. It's something I've had since childhood, just like JP. I started watching SW around the same time I saw JP, so it's always been there with me. Heh, I can still remember when I used to where my hooded bathrobe and swing my Ep. 1 Darth Maul lightsaber around my house when I was six. Then my Dad took it away from me because I kept hitting the walls with it. I like those memories. I have equally pleasant memories of JP. I used to walk around my back yard thinking I was Roland hunting dinosaurs. I'd wear my cowboy hat and run around my backyard with my Disney rifle. But that's all I have of JP, memories. JP isn't the same as it was in 2001. It's no longer a terrifying, action packed romp with dinosaurs. Now there's genetic hybrids and that's looking like the future of the franchise.

The iRex was well received by both fandom and audiences, so that means Universal is going to try more of that. Being well received means that more hybrids might be well received. However that's not the JP I know and love. It's the new JP, and it's here to stay. The JP I knew and loved didn't need genetic hybrids. It just needed dinosaurs, or at least dinosaurs as we perceived them in great 1990s. The JP I loved used environments, was atmospheric and used some of the greatest animatronics ever built. JW has none of that. I can only hope Bayona creates a JP like I remembered, but with the direction the themes are going, I'm not sure I can get used to the idea.
So what if we're not the target demographic? That doesn't mean we won't like the new films. I'm 22 and I love both JP and JW. I'm still very excited about the sequel to JW but JP will always be my #1 favorite film.

_______________
Avatar created by InGenUity  I approve!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megaspino2
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 227
Points : 1610
Reputation : 13
Join date : 2016-06-07

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:22 pm

@Spiegel wrote:
1. The removal to JPL was selfish. Let’s look at the reasoning you have proposed for its shut down here. Also I'm sure a lot of us can remember the closing threads on JPL.

@Megaspino2 wrote:
I do understand where you're coming from Lk and I do feel bad for your loss but sometimes people just get to a breaking point with things. I won't put Ty down because he decided to wash his hands with the site but I agree that the torch could have been passed to us. I feel the staff here are more than capable of running this place and I have no doubt we could have run things at Jpl just fine.

On one final note though, can you honestly blame Ty for all the crap he had been taking over the years to just get to a breaking point? His methods of operation were questionable at times but I doubt many people could have lasted as long as he did.

So what we have here is he failure to see that the community should outweigh the individual. Ty reached his breaking point because he couldn't stand the idea that JPL canon and website were the only thoughts, ideas, and opinions that the fans believed it. No matter how you look at it, JPL was a fan built website, it was not owned by the original creator of the Jurassic Park idea, Michael Crichton, or the any of the directors or producers from the film franchise. The canon formed at JPL, which was well researched and approached in a way that attempted to remove opinion, seemed very logical and correct. However, there are plot holes in the books and movies that can only lead to speculation, theories, and opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own and if they don’t prescribe to JPL's that’s their own right. Ty could not deal with anyone having thoughts outside of JPL's canon, no matter how logical and well proven they were, you can’t own the Internet's view on a franchise. You can’t. His inability to accept others existing, yes I mean the idea of other websites having fans that agreed to a canon outside of JPL's, was the demise of JPL. Its literally like talking religion. Everyone has their own beliefs. However, because Muslims exist, or different sects of the same religion, you don’t burn all the bibles and forget the religion existed, storing the scripture in an Ark somewhere hidden away for all time. The idea that we are capable of saying we don’t want anyone to think any different from us, even if the plagiarize and use some of the same ideas thus making their thoughts have some of the same foundation as ours, is ridiculous. Stop clinging to the idea that its ok to remove all the work done by the community because one man "hit his breaking point," over people having different thoughts on their own sites, and took it away is ok.

I never said it was okay for him to not pass the torch. As I said before I believe the rest of the staff could have handled the site just fine and agree that his decision to refuse us to continue on the "legacy" was selfish. I also will agree that Ty did create a lot of problems by trying to police a central canon, but let us also realize that the other parties are not innocent. One of the biggest controversial time periods in the site's history revolved around a member who wanted to take over the site so he could promote his own fan ideas as ideas that were researched by the staff of the encyclopedia. I don't want to get into the more recent issues publicly but if you want to shoot me a PM we can discuss it.

Yes, it isn't right that JPL is gone but what could we possibly have done? We the staff and the members of JPL all tried many different things to get Ty to keep the site and he refused. It isn't like we can picket and protest outside of his house, he had power as the webmaster and that was that. Also Dead brings up an excellent point, this is an internet forum not a job. It is a hobby for people, and it is not worth anyone's mental health over. And this brings me to my second point:

JPL towards the end wasn't booming with activity, in fact, it was quite inactive. Not every thread in every single section was getting posts, and certain threads just lend themselves to more activity because not every single person is interested in say fan fiction or the video games mods or the novels. The film and general discussion threads will always get more action because they reach a broad audience. That's not to say any of the things I mentioned or things I failed to mention are bad or not worth any time; they can be very interesting actually. However, it's not everyone's cup of tea and people should understand that.

Now as to the staff being police instead of leaders because not all of us are posting on every single thread I will say this: again it is not a job. Most of us are in our 20's which means our lives at this point are more important. It is also summer and as I mentioned  to the staff before, summer is a time when life drags us away from our "normal" routine. It is a time for families, vacations and being outside; this may be the case with staff members as well as our members. You cannot say that the JPL staff posted on every thread because that isn't true. Also, we can't push certain threads or sections on our members; we offer them and encourage everyone to participate in discussion of all areas of the fandom but there is also a freedom of choice where members will usually post in areas that they like. As a matter of fact, in the past Ty wanted to shut down the general discussion area of JPL to promote more discussion in other areas of the forum like the films section (this was way before we knew JW was even going to come to fruition.) I doubt people would want to go to such extremes and I don't condone it or approve of it so to me the freedom of choice works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 583
Points : 3054
Reputation : 16
Join date : 2013-01-12
Location : Texas.

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:20 pm

@Monolophosaurus wrote:
Richard Levine wrote:
If you dont like this place why dont you go to the JP Reddit or Jurassic Outpost lmao I'm seriously trying not to fucking let loose. Can someone block me from this site or something.

Traitorous Critic Fallacy/ergo decedo. Also an ad hominem, rather than debunking arguments you just make some offhand comment and act like that is sufficient. If you want this site to die, that's fine.

Actually the JP Reddit looks sort of appealing, but I wouldn't join there. Outpost looks pretty cool though.

Haahahahahahaha.

_______________

"A creature of the future, built with pieces of the past!"
"This is the most dangerous creature that ever walked the Earth!"
"That thing cannot leave this building."
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://natsukis.meme.bakery
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
avatar

Posts : 187
Points : 2658
Reputation : 8
Join date : 2012-04-06
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:18 am

Jesus everyone, you all need to calm down. There isn't any reason to call the Jurassic Park fandom dead, it's in peak if anything. JPL is dead, the fandom will move on.

No one expects this site in its current form to be the JPL replacement. If anything, we already have a JPL replacement and that's Jurassic Outpost. I'd post there more if it wasn't for that the users here who are my friends are not there. That's the real difference. The reason why we're posting here is because of the users, and to me I don't care if this site doesn't become popular I just want to keep in contact with everyone and this is the current form of doing so.

If you ask me, the perfect solution is a mass migration to Outpost. The forum isn't very big but if a bunch of us move there and request changes to the forum, I'm sure they'll consider it. It's a scary thought for a lot users, particularly the moderators here who has power and had it on JPL because they'd have to give that up. But I think it's worth it because the website is stable.

But no one needs go all crazy or angry about this. At the end of the day we can't take this stuff too seriously.

_______________
Come Help Build A Hypothetical Jurassic Park Here
Also follow me on Letterboxd and read my movie reviews
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Nedryland
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 128
Points : 1205
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : London, England

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:30 am

@Lord Kristine wrote:
It also says something that I was willing to pay that much, and the feelings of so many people were disregarded. I lost everything.

If you could stop merely thinking about yourself and consider that Ty put 15+ years of his life into that site. He gave it everything he had. Literally everything. From money, his time and his health. The man had every right to shut JPL down because he owned the site. I personally feel JPL could have lived on under new management but that was no ones decision to make other than Ty's and he didn't want it that way. A choice we should respect, regardless of whether we disagree with it or not.

As has been said, JPL was a community and a vast majority of that community have moved here. A website is what you make it but if you don't want to continue to be a part of the community then that is your choice and we respect that, however, you should consider the fact that there is no difference in the community we have here aside from the url.

_______________

Simon Masrani wrote:
“The key to a happy life is to accept you are never actually in control.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spiegel
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
avatar

Posts : 444
Points : 2917
Reputation : 25
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Waverly, NY

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:46 am

@Megaspino2 wrote:
@Spiegel wrote:
1. The removal to JPL was selfish. Let’s look at the reasoning you have proposed for its shut down here. Also I'm sure a lot of us can remember the closing threads on JPL.

@Megaspino2 wrote:
I do understand where you're coming from Lk and I do feel bad for your loss but sometimes people just get to a breaking point with things. I won't put Ty down because he decided to wash his hands with the site but I agree that the torch could have been passed to us. I feel the staff here are more than capable of running this place and I have no doubt we could have run things at Jpl just fine.

On one final note though, can you honestly blame Ty for all the crap he had been taking over the years to just get to a breaking point? His methods of operation were questionable at times but I doubt many people could have lasted as long as he did.

So what we have here is he failure to see that the community should outweigh the individual. Ty reached his breaking point because he couldn't stand the idea that JPL canon and website were the only thoughts, ideas, and opinions that the fans believed it. No matter how you look at it, JPL was a fan built website, it was not owned by the original creator of the Jurassic Park idea, Michael Crichton, or the any of the directors or producers from the film franchise. The canon formed at JPL, which was well researched and approached in a way that attempted to remove opinion, seemed very logical and correct. However, there are plot holes in the books and movies that can only lead to speculation, theories, and opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own and if they don’t prescribe to JPL's that’s their own right. Ty could not deal with anyone having thoughts outside of JPL's canon, no matter how logical and well proven they were, you can’t own the Internet's view on a franchise. You can’t. His inability to accept others existing, yes I mean the idea of other websites having fans that agreed to a canon outside of JPL's, was the demise of JPL. Its literally like talking religion. Everyone has their own beliefs. However, because Muslims exist, or different sects of the same religion, you don’t burn all the bibles and forget the religion existed, storing the scripture in an Ark somewhere hidden away for all time. The idea that we are capable of saying we don’t want anyone to think any different from us, even if the plagiarize and use some of the same ideas thus making their thoughts have some of the same foundation as ours, is ridiculous. Stop clinging to the idea that its ok to remove all the work done by the community because one man "hit his breaking point," over people having different thoughts on their own sites, and took it away is ok.

I never said it was okay for him to not pass the torch. As I said before I believe the rest of the staff could have handled the site just fine and agree that his decision to refuse us to continue on the "legacy" was selfish. I also will agree that Ty did create a lot of problems by trying to police a central canon, but let us also realize that the other parties are not innocent. One of the biggest controversial time periods in the site's history revolved around a member who wanted to take over the site so he could promote his own fan ideas as ideas that were researched by the staff of the encyclopedia. I don't want to get into the more recent issues publicly but if you want to shoot me a PM we can discuss it.

Yes, it isn't right that JPL is gone but what could we possibly have done? We the staff and the members of JPL all tried many different things to get Ty to keep the site and he refused. It isn't like we can picket and protest outside of his house, he had power as the webmaster and that was that. Also Dead brings up an excellent point, this is an internet forum not a job. It is a hobby for people, and it is not worth anyone's mental health over. And this brings me to my second point:

JPL towards the end wasn't booming with activity, in fact, it was quite inactive. Not every thread in every single section was getting posts, and certain threads just lend themselves to more activity because not every single person is interested in say fan fiction or the video games mods or the novels. The film and general discussion threads will always get more action because they reach a broad audience. That's not to say any of the things I mentioned or things I failed to mention are bad or not worth any time; they can be very interesting actually. However, it's not everyone's cup of tea and people should understand that.

Now as to the staff being police instead of leaders because not all of us are posting on every single thread I will say this: again it is not a job. Most of us are in our 20's which means our lives at this point are more important. It is also summer and as I mentioned  to the staff before, summer is a time when life drags us away from our "normal" routine. It is a time for families, vacations and being outside; this may be the case with staff members as well as our members. You cannot say that the JPL staff posted on every thread because that isn't true. Also, we can't push certain threads or sections on our members; we offer them and encourage everyone to participate in discussion of all areas of the fandom but there is also a freedom of choice where members will usually post in areas that they like. As a matter of fact, in the past Ty wanted to shut down the general discussion area of JPL to promote more discussion in other areas of the forum like the films section (this was way before we knew JW was even going to come to fruition.) I doubt people would want to go to such extremes and I don't condone it or approve of it so to me the freedom of choice works.

Let me first say, I dont mean or intend to offend you MegaSpino2, or any other staff members. However, I will speak in truths about these issues and some of them may be uncomfortable.

Yes, activity can not be controlled, nor can the interest of members. Its great for people to have interest in a lot of topics including things unrelated to Jurassic Park. However, the community here was brought together by an interest in Jurassic Park. No, you cant force them to be more interested in one thing over the other. This site is meant to be the spiritual successor to JPL, at least thats what had been posted originally. Yet, we dont have any projects or regularly updated news (Jurassic Outpost seems to post a ton of news) to encourage activity, engage JP fans, or inspire more interest. That falls on the staff just as much as the community, more so the staff though. Thats the issue.

My interest lies heavily in the RPG but it has dwindled away. Why? Well we dont have timely updates to progress the game along and characters submitted for approval haven't been reviewed or accepted yet. So, for us RPG lovers the game has stalled completely. Now there are less and less posts and activity is down to nearly zero. That issue is literally based on the staff, and not just the RPG staff because someone could be pushing the RPG staff to ensure the duties they volunteered to complete are completed. Thats just my example based on my interest.

You are correct, this isn't a job. However, I do believe when you wish to become staff you are accepting a bit of responsibility for the forum and community. You have a direct influence on the day to day operation here. No, you cant make people do anything but you're influence can be used to to encourage activity, engage JP fans, or inspire more interest just as I said before. I feel there are a host of projects we could be working on for the community and the board but the staff should be the ones to do so. That doesnt mean you have to post in every thread or engage in every discussion. However, you could post things that encourage others to view a thread or engage in a discussion on the portal's main page. "Lord Kristine has started a thread in the fan fiction area about this or that, be sure to check it out and enjoy! *LINK*." I mean something as simple as that might catch a few people's attention. Like we both said, this is a hobby. However, by staff at the RPG not keeping things rolling there you have in essence taken away my hobby be allowing activity to die, thats the bottom line.


@Nedryland wrote:
@Lord Kristine wrote:
It also says something that I was willing to pay that much, and the feelings of so many people were disregarded. I lost everything.

If you could stop merely thinking about yourself and consider that Ty put 15+ years of his life into that site. He gave it everything he had. Literally everything. From money, his time and his health. The man had every right to shut JPL down because he owned the site. I personally feel JPL could have lived on under new management but that was no ones decision to make other than Ty's and he didn't want it that way. A choice we should respect, regardless of whether we disagree with it or not.

As has been said, JPL was a community and a vast majority of that community have moved here. A website is what you make it but if you don't want to continue to be a part of the community then that is your choice and we respect that, however,  you should consider the fact that there is no difference in the community we have here aside from the url.

Thats completely rude. How you can compare whats more selfish is silly to say the least. The fact that Lord Kristine wanted to remain a part of a community where all her work was being a selfish act is beyond me. So her involvement, interest, and passion to keep JPL around was selfish and lets remember she was far from the only one who wanted it that way. Tons of members and staff wanted to keep JPL around.

However, its not selfish for one man, unable to bear "the internet", to shut down and remove all traces of work and community built over 15 years from everyone involved. Thats not selfish? Its more selfish for people who didnt want to see it go? Plenty of other people poured things into JPL and they have every right to be upset or pissed off about its loss.

Yes, Ty had the right to shut down the site he owned and he did. We seem to forget though these things called morals and ethics. The same things that might say "Hey, ya know this JPL thing isnt for me, its causing a lot of issues in my life but I built a community that so many people love and have contributed to I cant just take it away. Maybe I can find some people I trust to keep it and I can just step away. I wouldnt want to hurt anyone or take away their passion because of my own issues." You can sit here and just keep throwing the same pity party over and over about how Ty was basically internet bullied about canon until he quit, but it doesnt change the fact that there were hundreds of people involved and in love with JPL. His own needs outweighed all of those people. He could have ignored the outside problems, he could passed the torch, he could have just pushed the power button on his computer. I'm sure one of you will say that there was more going on behind the scenes and thats why. Well then share it, let the people who are upset and literally feeling broken about JPL hear it. It doesnt have to be a secert, its not classified or are we going to say we want to respect Ty's wishes of keeping it secert? THus taking the moral high ground for him when he took the moral low ground for the community.

You're right JPL is gone but there is no need to marginalize people being upset by it. Ty might have started it and put himself into but he invited a community of people to do the same. They contributed, they donated, the researched, and they built the community as much as he did, so lets take a moment and remember that. Is it JPL and the community you loved or was it just Ty? Honestly?

_______________
Jurassic Role Play: Live The Legend Redux
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://s15.zetaboards.com/JurassicRolePlay/index/
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1793
Points : 3856
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:07 am

You guys are taking this way too seriously. This isn't a "Ty Memorial Thread" and I honestly doubt he gives a damn about who's on his side and who's not so on his side. At the end of the day he moved on so eventually we must do the same. Seems like people are too caught up in what could of saved JPL over what could make JPP just as great.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Venom (2018.
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E21).
Last Video Game Played: Power Rangers: All Stars (Android).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spiegel
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
avatar

Posts : 444
Points : 2917
Reputation : 25
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Waverly, NY

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:31 am

@Dead2009 wrote:
You guys are taking this way too seriously. This isn't a "Ty Memorial Thread" and I honestly doubt he gives a damn about who's on his side and who's not so on his side. At the end of the day he moved on so eventually we must do the same.  Seems like people are too caught up in what could of saved JPL over what could make JPP just as great.

Thats exactly my point. Lord Kristine feels a certain way and instead of acknowledging it and maybe relating, its all about Ty. You're right, hes gone and we need to move on. People arent happy with his choice and they are allowed to feel that way. I dont think running to his defense when someone is upset about what happened to JPL, especially because they arent shit talking him, is beyond silly.

We do need to talk about what could have save JPL because its completely relevant to making JPP great. Right now, JPP is little more than a place were the same people just talk about random topics. I'd like to see us focus on some JP related projects or something, to give us a sense of purpose and community. However, that requires more than what we are getting right now.

_______________
Jurassic Role Play: Live The Legend Redux
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://s15.zetaboards.com/JurassicRolePlay/index/
Monolophosaurus
Embryo
Embryo
avatar

Posts : 43
Points : 907
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-06-09
Location : Home.

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:14 pm

Richard Levine wrote:
@Monolophosaurus wrote:
Richard Levine wrote:
If you dont like this place why dont you go to the JP Reddit or Jurassic Outpost lmao I'm seriously trying not to fucking let loose. Can someone block me from this site or something.

Traitorous Critic Fallacy/ergo decedo. Also an ad hominem, rather than debunking arguments you just make some offhand comment and act like that is sufficient. If you want this site to die, that's fine.

Actually the JP Reddit looks sort of appealing, but I wouldn't join there. Outpost looks pretty cool though.

Haahahahahahaha.

Very well thought out response. /s
I'm confused by your motivation so I'll just move on to something else.

Anyway, to more pressing matters, Spiegel and Dead are both correct. This is not about Ty. I mean its time for a dash of truth, Ty's wishes are almost irrelevant at this point. He isn't even here anymore. It may have been his site, but that doesn't mean for a second that his wishes override that of hundreds of people. Ty wasn't the only person that ever worked on JPLegacy ever, the body of fans, the community, the other staff, did stuff too. Everyone acting like Ty was some warrior who had to go on some epic journey on his own, without any help whatsoever, to set up *gasp* an INTERNET FORUM. Oh, he and his site died for your sins, oh, he turned water into whine, he spent his life being tortured by aliens and on and on and on and... oh and remember to repent and say 20 hail Ty's! This is a community, not a dictatorship. We are letting a person who is no longer part of the community decide how we should run an entirely different website.

Personally, I don't even really know what I wish this site had. I mean an encyclopedia would be great. But above all I want an active community, an actual fanbase, active, fair, and caring moderators. Just more... things. More stuff. We spend a lot of time discussing stuff irrelevant to Jurassic Park. JPLegacy felt huge. JPLegacy felt... friendly (well for the most part), JPLegacy had more stuff to do, to look at, to enjoy. It is all stuff I should have taken advantage of while I was there, but I didn't. In my mind, Jurassic Outpost is trying to be that (of course completely incomplete, moving at such a slow-ass pace, really almost failing). This site, the Portal, should be trying that but the wishes of one man who is no longer here are holding us back, it seems. Don't let Outpost win over the fanbase.

And to those of you saying the Jurassic Park community is at a peak... no. The Jurassic World community is at a peak. The Jurassic Park community is almost dead.

_______________
"All major theme parks have delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!"

"Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 583
Points : 3054
Reputation : 16
Join date : 2013-01-12
Location : Texas.

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Lol Jurassic Outpost wanted to become us and they won. You should have seen how the people at Reddit rejoiced when we finally died out. We tried to work with them (went along the lines of "Hey we see that you are trying to make an Encyclopedia, but we think for the benefit of both you can help work with us on ours, which has been around since the turn of the decade"), and they pretty much said "Nah we want unity but then we dont we're gonna do out own fucking thing like dicks, fuck your Encyclopedia btw we're gonna use it for information on ours as well fuck you hahah #JurassicOutpost #TeamJurassic" And dont get me started on the shit they pulled on JPToys.

They managed to woo the fandom with their flashy graphics, high-tech websites and 'insider sources' (remember when they said the canned JW console game was gonna come back and didnt back up their shit AT ALL and basically were like 'Believe us! We have insider sources! Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!', JPL had an outdated look, practically no budget and not enough technicaly know-how to update anything. They successfully did what they wanted to do from the beginning; become us. I'll bet your fucking ass when the day after JPL died they were laughing behind their computer screens, or in a group chat (we (the staff) have one too, so its likely they have one too but dont tell anyone shhhh).

Whatever. If you guys wanna jump ship over to Outhouse (heh thanks Ty for that nickname lol) be my fucking guest. Bye. Bon voyage. Sayonara. Dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Quite frankly this whole discussion has pissed me off a lot and is bringing up things I hoped I could swallow down. I will always miss JPL; it was the first real place on the Internet I joined. It taught me Internet manners, it taught me how to interact, and it taught me how to type and organize my thoughts. For that I will always thank and respect Ty for creating JPL.

Oh, and if anyone from Outpost are lurking around here (which they undoubtedly are) reading my post, go ahead and take me up on Twitter or Facebook. Do it in public for everyone to see if it matters that fucking much. I've expressed my distaste with you in the past (for which I foolishly apologized), I will gladly do it again.

_______________

"A creature of the future, built with pieces of the past!"
"This is the most dangerous creature that ever walked the Earth!"
"That thing cannot leave this building."
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://natsukis.meme.bakery
Nedryland
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 128
Points : 1205
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : London, England

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:09 pm

@Spiegel wrote:

@Nedryland wrote:
@Lord Kristine wrote:
It also says something that I was willing to pay that much, and the feelings of so many people were disregarded. I lost everything.

If you could stop merely thinking about yourself and consider that Ty put 15+ years of his life into that site. He gave it everything he had. Literally everything. From money, his time and his health. The man had every right to shut JPL down because he owned the site. I personally feel JPL could have lived on under new management but that was no ones decision to make other than Ty's and he didn't want it that way. A choice we should respect, regardless of whether we disagree with it or not.

As has been said, JPL was a community and a vast majority of that community have moved here. A website is what you make it but if you don't want to continue to be a part of the community then that is your choice and we respect that, however,  you should consider the fact that there is no difference in the community we have here aside from the url.

Thats completely rude. How you can compare whats more selfish is silly to say the least. The fact that Lord Kristine wanted to remain a part of a community where all her work was being a selfish act is beyond me. So her involvement, interest, and passion to keep JPL around was selfish and lets remember she was far from the only one who wanted it that way. Tons of members and staff wanted to keep JPL around.

However, its not selfish for one man, unable to bear "the internet", to shut down and remove all traces of work and community built over 15 years from everyone involved. Thats not selfish? Its more selfish for people who didnt want to see it go? Plenty of other people poured things into JPL and they have every right to be upset or pissed off about its loss.

Yes, Ty had the right to shut down the site he owned and he did. We seem to forget though these things called morals and ethics. The same things that might say "Hey, ya know this JPL thing isnt for me, its causing a lot of issues in my life but I built a community that so many people love and have contributed to I cant just take it away. Maybe I can find some people I trust to keep it and I can just step away. I wouldnt want to hurt anyone or take away their passion because of my own issues." You can sit here and just keep throwing the same pity party over and over about how Ty was basically internet bullied about canon until he quit, but it doesnt change the fact that there were hundreds of people involved and in love with JPL. His own needs outweighed all of those people. He could have ignored the outside problems, he could passed the torch, he could have just pushed the power button on his computer. I'm sure one of you will say that there was more going on behind the scenes and thats why. Well then share it, let the people who are upset and literally feeling broken about JPL hear it. It doesnt have to be a secert, its not classified or are we going to say we want to respect Ty's wishes of keeping it secert? THus taking the moral high ground for him when he took the moral low ground for the community.

You're right JPL is gone but there is no need to marginalize people being upset by it. Ty might have started it and put himself into but he invited a community of people to do the same. They contributed, they donated, the researched, and they built the community as much as he did, so lets take a moment and remember that. Is it JPL and the community you loved or was it just Ty? Honestly?

I put my own time in JPL, I done a lot for the site and I know other around me and before did the same, if not more. I didn't want JPL to go, I am upset that it shut down but let us come back to reality for a second. JPL is gone but the very same community is here, in fact some of former members are here now as well. We're a community built up of people with a passion for a franchise, if people don't want to move with the community from one URL to another, then that is up to them but everything is practically the same here.

If you're all so upset that JPL closed why don't you just ship that same passion over here and continue that spirit? We the members made JPL, we can make this place too. Don't want to move on? Don't.

_______________

Simon Masrani wrote:
“The key to a happy life is to accept you are never actually in control.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spiegel
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
avatar

Posts : 444
Points : 2917
Reputation : 25
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Waverly, NY

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Richard Levine wrote:
Lol Jurassic Outpost wanted to become us and they won. You should have seen how the people at Reddit rejoiced when we finally died out. We tried to work with them (went along the lines of "Hey we see that you are trying to make an Encyclopedia, but we think for the benefit of both you can help work with us on ours, which has been around since the turn of the decade"), and they pretty much said "Nah we want unity but then we dont we're gonna do out own fucking thing like dicks, fuck your Encyclopedia btw we're gonna use it for information on ours as well fuck you hahah #JurassicOutpost #TeamJurassic" And dont get me started on the shit they pulled on JPToys.

They managed to woo the fandom with their flashy graphics, high-tech websites and 'insider sources' (remember when they said the canned JW console game was gonna come back and didnt back up their shit AT ALL and basically were like 'Believe us! We have insider sources! Like us on Facebook and  follow us on Twitter!', JPL had an outdated look, practically no budget and not enough technicaly know-how to update anything. They successfully did what they wanted to do from the beginning; become us. I'll bet your fucking ass when the day after JPL died they were laughing behind their computer screens, or in a group chat (we (the staff) have one too, so its likely they have one too but dont tell anyone shhhh).

Whatever. If you guys wanna jump ship over to Outhouse (heh thanks Ty for that nickname lol) be my fucking guest. Bye. Bon voyage. Sayonara. Dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Quite frankly this whole discussion has pissed me off a lot and is bringing up things I hoped I could swallow down. I will always miss JPL; it was the first real place on the Internet I joined. It taught me Internet manners, it taught me how to interact, and it taught me how to type and organize my thoughts. For that I will always thank and respect Ty for creating JPL.

Oh, and if anyone from Outpost are lurking around here (which they undoubtedly are) reading my post, go ahead and take me up on Twitter or Facebook. Do it in public for everyone to see if it matters that fucking much. I've expressed my distaste with you in the past (for which I foolishly apologized), I will gladly do it again.

No one is even talking about joining Jurassic Out Post. You're a member there. I saw your introduction post where you said you that you hoped it that the issues between JPL and JOP wouldnt interfere with you being there. I'd copy and paste it, to help you remember but oldy their website is down now . . . Also, your internet manners are lacking as you are the one throwing around all the profanity and basically telling people to bug off. Its fine to respect Ty. Hell, I respect Ty. He did good things. I dont respect some of his actions or how he treated people in the end. I dont respect that he removed the entire community. You can sit there and be mad about all this like child, and block me on facebook for having an opinion, but its not helping. We both know why you retired so why you're acting like this when you would actually agree with the things I've pointed out about JPP are beyond me.

@Nedryland wrote:
@Spiegel wrote:

I put my own time in JPL, I done a lot for the site and I know other around me and before did the same, if not more. I didn't want JPL to go, I am upset that it shut down but let us come back to reality for a second. JPL is gone but the very same community is here, in fact some of former members are here now as well. We're a community built up of people with a passion for a franchise, if people don't want to move with the community from one URL to another, then that is up to them but everything is practically the same here.

If you're all so upset that JPL closed why don't you just ship that same passion over here and continue that spirit? We the members made JPL, we can make this place too. Don't want to move on? Don't.

This is what I'm saying, there is a lack of anything going on here contributing to the forward movement of the community. No news posted, no group projects or chat box parties, the RPG isn't updated. Nothing. I'm here mostly for the RPG and thats gone right down the tubes as its not being kept up with for the millionth time.

I'm not mocking the staff. I'm not complaining about JPL being gone. What I'm saying is you guys, the staff, should be doing somethings to keep the community interested and to move it forward from JPL. Inspire some activity, encourage some research, or something. Thats not being done, again the RPG isnt updated as to the time of day or weather, however Lord Kristine was venting or expressing her feelings about losing some of her work and missing JPL and what happened? Well the staff popped up and proceeded to do nothing but defend Ty's decision. She's not ok with it and thats her opinion. Let her vent.

My problem here is the JPP was like the follow up to JPL, "The Spirtual Successor," and with everything gone and deleted there is so much rebuilding to do. Its not being done. There are so many things that we could be working on and its not happening.

_______________
Jurassic Role Play: Live The Legend Redux
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://s15.zetaboards.com/JurassicRolePlay/index/
smaugtheterrible
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 73
Points : 942
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Queens, NY

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:27 pm

I still think this site has the potential to be something great. It might not ever be as big as JPL, but it can be something new and fresh without a lot of the drama that built up on JPL over time. There are a lot of fans of this series that would just like to have a fun place to talk about it without fighting over canon, etc. Occasional "news" posts on the main page about the franchise would be nice - they don't even have to be news, necessarily. How about something like a weekly caption contest, occasional cosplay spotlights, even "character of the week" type stuff (or locations, scenes, etc.) just to start discussions?

_______________
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spiegel
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
avatar

Posts : 444
Points : 2917
Reputation : 25
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Waverly, NY

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:34 pm

@smaugtheterrible wrote:
I still think this site has the potential to be something great. It might not ever be as big as JPL, but it can be something new and fresh without a lot of the drama that built up on JPL over time. There are a lot of fans of this series that would just like to have a fun place to talk about it without fighting over canon, etc. Occasional "news" posts on the main page about the franchise would be nice - they don't even have to be news, necessarily. How about something like a weekly caption contest, occasional cosplay spotlights, even "character of the week" type stuff (or locations, scenes, etc.) just to start discussions?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. There's at least one member, myself, and now smaugtheterrible who are saying the same thing, do something with the community. Do more than just sit here and let it work itself out, because its not.

_______________
Jurassic Role Play: Live The Legend Redux
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://s15.zetaboards.com/JurassicRolePlay/index/
Nedryland
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 128
Points : 1205
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : London, England

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:37 pm

@Spiegel wrote:
Richard Levine wrote:
Lol Jurassic Outpost wanted to become us and they won. You should have seen how the people at Reddit rejoiced when we finally died out. We tried to work with them (went along the lines of "Hey we see that you are trying to make an Encyclopedia, but we think for the benefit of both you can help work with us on ours, which has been around since the turn of the decade"), and they pretty much said "Nah we want unity but then we dont we're gonna do out own fucking thing like dicks, fuck your Encyclopedia btw we're gonna use it for information on ours as well fuck you hahah #JurassicOutpost #TeamJurassic" And dont get me started on the shit they pulled on JPToys.

They managed to woo the fandom with their flashy graphics, high-tech websites and 'insider sources' (remember when they said the canned JW console game was gonna come back and didnt back up their shit AT ALL and basically were like 'Believe us! We have insider sources! Like us on Facebook and  follow us on Twitter!', JPL had an outdated look, practically no budget and not enough technicaly know-how to update anything. They successfully did what they wanted to do from the beginning; become us. I'll bet your fucking ass when the day after JPL died they were laughing behind their computer screens, or in a group chat (we (the staff) have one too, so its likely they have one too but dont tell anyone shhhh).

Whatever. If you guys wanna jump ship over to Outhouse (heh thanks Ty for that nickname lol) be my fucking guest. Bye. Bon voyage. Sayonara. Dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Quite frankly this whole discussion has pissed me off a lot and is bringing up things I hoped I could swallow down. I will always miss JPL; it was the first real place on the Internet I joined. It taught me Internet manners, it taught me how to interact, and it taught me how to type and organize my thoughts. For that I will always thank and respect Ty for creating JPL.

Oh, and if anyone from Outpost are lurking around here (which they undoubtedly are) reading my post, go ahead and take me up on Twitter or Facebook. Do it in public for everyone to see if it matters that fucking much. I've expressed my distaste with you in the past (for which I foolishly apologized), I will gladly do it again.

No one is even talking about joining Jurassic Out Post. You're a member there. I saw your introduction post where you said you that you hoped it that the issues between JPL and JOP wouldnt interfere with you being there. I'd copy and paste it, to help you remember but oldy their website is down now . . .Also, you internet manners are lacking as you are the one throwing around all the profanity and basically telling people to bug off. Its fine to respect Ty. Hell, I respect Ty. He did good things. I dont respect some of his actions or how he treated people in the end. I dont respect that he removed the entire community. You can sit there and be mad about all this like child, and block me on facebook for having an opinion, but its not helping. We both know why you retired so why you're acting like this when you would actually agree with the things I've pointed out about JPP are beyond me.

@Nedryland wrote:
@Spiegel wrote:

I put my own time in JPL, I done a lot for the site and I know other around me and before did the same, if not more. I didn't want JPL to go, I am upset that it shut down but let us come back to reality for a second. JPL is gone but the very same community is here, in fact some of former members are here now as well. We're a community built up of people with a passion for a franchise, if people don't want to move with the community from one URL to another, then that is up to them but everything is practically the same here.

If you're all so upset that JPL closed why don't you just ship that same passion over here and continue that spirit? We the members made JPL, we can make this place too. Don't want to move on? Don't.

This is what I'm saying, there is a lack of anything going on here contributing to the forward movement of the community. No news posted, no group projects or chat box parties, the RPG isn't updated. Nothing. I'm here mostly for the RPG and thats gone right down the tubes as its not being kept up with for the millionth time.

I'm not mocking the staff. I'm not complaining about JPL being gone. What I'm saying is you guys, the staff, should be doing somethings to keep the community interested and to move it forward from JPL. Inspire some activity, encourage some research, or something. Thats not being done, again the RPG isnt updated as to the time of day or weather, however Lord Kristine was venting or expressing her feelings about losing some of her work and missing JPL and what happened? Well the staff popped up and proceeded to do nothing but defend Ty's decision. She's not ok with it and thats her opinion. Let her vent.

My problem here is the JPP was like the follow up to JPL, "The Spirtual Successor," and with everything gone and deleted there is so much rebuilding to do. Its not being done. There are so many things that we could be working on and its not happening.

We're aware things need to be done and we're also working on things to do for the future. Things take time, JPL was gone before we all knew it and this place was made in it's place. We know there are thing to fix but we, the staff, have lives to lead as well and things take time. Kristine is entitled to vent as such as she likes, that doesn't stop anyone from replying to her, nor anyone replying to anyone else. That's generally how a forum works.

_______________

Simon Masrani wrote:
“The key to a happy life is to accept you are never actually in control.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1793
Points : 3856
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:40 pm

@Spiegel wrote:
@Dead2009 wrote:
You guys are taking this way too seriously. This isn't a "Ty Memorial Thread" and I honestly doubt he gives a damn about who's on his side and who's not so on his side. At the end of the day he moved on so eventually we must do the same.  Seems like people are too caught up in what could of saved JPL over what could make JPP just as great.

Thats exactly my point. Lord Kristine feels a certain way and instead of acknowledging it and maybe relating, its all about Ty. You're right, hes gone and we need to move on. People arent happy with his choice and they are allowed to feel that way. I dont think running to his defense when someone is upset about what happened to JPL, especially because they arent shit talking him, is beyond silly.

We do need to talk about what could have save JPL because its completely relevant to making JPP great. Right now, JPP is little more than a place were the same people just talk about random topics. I'd like to see us focus on some JP related projects or something, to give us a sense of purpose and community. However, that requires more than what we are getting right now.

Not ever did I say people werent allowed to feel unhappy with what went down towards the end of the site. Not once. I wasnt too thrilled with the way he went about shutting the site down and was against him trying to label an entire fandom as toxic because of a few people that were looking for fame. But instead of focusing on certain things, it turned into a pissing match about Ty and his actions. There's no defending nor excusing them, and we can argue day in and day out what could have been done.

Then lets talk about how to improve JPP. IMO JPL is in the rear view mirror and it's full steam ahead. There's a suggestion forum, lets all start posting what we want to see, want to have happen and then go from there. If we're to make this site stand out on it's own, away from what JPL was, then we need to stop trying to make the site like JPL. You cant expect the site to be booming in the first month of it's actual existence, anyone who knows how forums works know they dont work that way.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Venom (2018.
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E21).
Last Video Game Played: Power Rangers: All Stars (Android).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spiegel
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
avatar

Posts : 444
Points : 2917
Reputation : 25
Join date : 2012-03-30
Location : Waverly, NY

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:47 pm

@Dead2009 wrote:
@Spiegel wrote:
@Dead2009 wrote:
You guys are taking this way too seriously. This isn't a "Ty Memorial Thread" and I honestly doubt he gives a damn about who's on his side and who's not so on his side. At the end of the day he moved on so eventually we must do the same.  Seems like people are too caught up in what could of saved JPL over what could make JPP just as great.

Thats exactly my point. Lord Kristine feels a certain way and instead of acknowledging it and maybe relating, its all about Ty. You're right, hes gone and we need to move on. People arent happy with his choice and they are allowed to feel that way. I dont think running to his defense when someone is upset about what happened to JPL, especially because they arent shit talking him, is beyond silly.

We do need to talk about what could have save JPL because its completely relevant to making JPP great. Right now, JPP is little more than a place were the same people just talk about random topics. I'd like to see us focus on some JP related projects or something, to give us a sense of purpose and community. However, that requires more than what we are getting right now.

Not ever did I say people werent allowed to feel unhappy with what went down towards the end of the site. Not once. I wasnt too thrilled with the way he went about shutting the site down and was against him trying to label an entire fandom as toxic because of a few people that were looking for fame. But instead of focusing on certain things, it turned into a pissing match about Ty and his actions. There's no defending nor excusing them, and we can argue day in and day out what could have been done.

Then lets talk about how to improve JPP. IMO JPL is in the rear view mirror and it's full steam ahead. There's a suggestion forum, lets all start posting what we want to see, want to have happen and then go from there. If we're to make this site stand out on it's own, away from what JPL was, then we need to stop trying to make the site like JPL. You cant expect the site to be booming in the first month of it's actual existence, anyone who knows how forums works know they dont work that way.

I wasnt saying you did say that Dead, sorry if you took it at that way but I really wasnt saying anything about you. Here's the start of the Ty discussion, the first mention of his name:

Richard Levine wrote:
@Lord Kristine wrote:
It also says something that I was willing to pay that much, and the feelings of so many people were disregarded. I lost everything.

Tyrannosaur lost 15+ years of his life being in this fandom and getting treated like shit for trying to establish a set canon and basic guidelines for the community yet was taken over by a site where one of the people who run it literally said "Canon is your opinion".

Then everything that was said had a reference to "poor Ty," but those were all mentioned by staff . . .

Also, yes you're right they dont boom but a lot of things are falling off. I'm just going to keep the RPG example going because that is my main interest here, as well as some others who havent said anything, and the little bit of work there isn't being done. Thats my point. Even the smallest, and easiest because they're made up, posts that keep the gaming going haven't been made.

_______________
Jurassic Role Play: Live The Legend Redux
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://s15.zetaboards.com/JurassicRolePlay/index/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   

Back to top Go down
 
JPLegacy Memorial Thread
Back to top 
Page 5 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Lounge :: Off-Topic Discussions-
Jump to: