Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarAbout UsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inJurassic-Pedia

Share | 

The Horror Movie Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:44 pm

Ali Larter says that fan support brought her back to the Resident Evil movie series.

I always thought, and still believe, that she is more talented then what people give her credit for, but being a bit too much of a 'screen queen' may have hurt her career.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:55 pm

She's far from a "scream queen" because the only horror movies she's most notable for is the first 2 Final Destination movies and Resident Evil. Other than that, I cant really remember what all she's been in that mattered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scream_queen

http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:32 pm

That's odd because a lot of sites I've seen consider her one. In any case, I still think she's more talented then what she's been in.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:39 am

Looking at her filmography, she's been in 6 horror movies that really stand out: House on Haunted Hill, Final Destination 1 and 2, and 3 of the 6 Resident Evil movies. Not enough to really make her a "scream queen" TBH.

Also I need these in my life like ASAP

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3422652/line-fan-made-sadako-vs-kayako-vinyl-toys-pretty-great/

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:38 pm

@Dead2009 wrote:
Looking at her filmography, she's been in 6 horror movies that really stand out: House on Haunted Hill, Final Destination 1 and 2, and 3 of the 6 Resident Evil movies. Not enough to really make her a "scream queen" TBH.

Also I need these in my life like ASAP

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3422652/line-fan-made-sadako-vs-kayako-vinyl-toys-pretty-great/

Too bad those are better than the actual movie from what I hear.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:01 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:

Last time I checked, it's got a 44% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. That's actually high compared most video game movies.

Super Mario Bros. 16%
Street Fighter '95 15%
Mortal Kombat Annihilation: 3%

Here's an article about why George Romero didn't make a 'Resident Evil' movie, which would have been more faithful to the games.

And the Saw movie series gets is getting run further into the ground...

I can't believe that people actually that this movie series lasted this long considering how both the Nightmare on Elm Street and the Friday The 13th movie franchises both got overextended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:16 am

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:

Last time I checked, it's got a 44% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. That's actually high compared most video game movies.

Super Mario Bros. 16%
Street Fighter '95 15%

Here's an article about why George Romero didn't make a 'Resident Evil' movie, which would have been more faithful to the games.

I can't believe that people actually that this movie series lasted this long considering how both the Nightmare on Elm Street and the Friday The 13th movie franchises both got overextended.

Rhedo, I appreciate the video game movie statistics, but my comment was towards the link Dead2009 posted, about custom Sadako vs. Kayako figures. For being a Japanese horror film, something Japan is usually pretty good at, where two major villains fight, I've heard its pretty terrible, like two separate, not very good films put together, and then they fight for a couple minutes at the very end.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:39 am

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:

Super Mario Bros. 16%
Street Fighter '95 15%

Rhedo, I appreciate the video game movie statistics, but my comment was towards the link Dead2009 posted, about custom Sadako vs. Kayako figures. For being a Japanese horror film, something Japan is usually pretty good at, where two major villains fight, I've heard its pretty terrible, like two separate, not very good films put together, and then they fight for a couple minutes at the very end.

Oh....Uhhh. Sorry about that. Misinterpretation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:56 am

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:

Super Mario Bros. 16%
Street Fighter '95 15%

No need to apologize. Very Happy

On that note, I do want to see the new Resident Evil. They're terrible adaptions, subpar action films, and barely horror films, but I've seen them since the beginning, so I doubt I'm going to miss out on this one. I mean the first one I actually enjoy, the second one is a guilty pleasure because it has so many game references, and they sort of go down hill from there, but I can't say despite how much they sucked I've ever been disappointed once I realized these were never going to be like the games.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:12 am

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:

Super Mario Bros. 16%
Street Fighter '95 15%

No need to apologize. Very Happy

On that note, I do want to see the new Resident Evil. They're terrible adaptions, subpar action films, and barely horror films, but I've seen them since the beginning, so I doubt I'm going to miss out on this one. I mean the first one I actually enjoy, the second one is a guilty pleasure because it has so many game references, and they sort of go down hill from there, but I can't say despite how much they sucked I've ever been disappointed once I realized these were never going to be like the games.

I'm like the same way with the Transformers movies myself. I've seen the last 4 so I might as well see this new one. I believe that if Romero was the director, or at least and some influence, then they would have been better movies.

If it's any consolation, while the RE movies aren't the best movies, at least they are actually video game movies with strong central woman charterers. That's more then what all the other video game movies can claim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:26 pm

‘Friday the 13th’ Casting Call Seeks Young Jason; Different Title?!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:36 pm

As if we didn't have enough Friday The 13th movies as it is. Granted the reboot was different yet faithful, but with this new Saw film and Nightmare on Elm Street getting rebooted...again...the last thing we need is this.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:17 am

Nightmare on Elm Street hasnt been confirmed for the reboot table as of yet.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:45 am

I remember hearing about it getting rebooted again not long after the last one didn't do as good as it hoped.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:55 pm

Well, I saw Resident Evil: the Final Chapter. I've stuck with these movies since the beginning, from the first, barely related Resident Evil movie, to this final, again barely related RE movie. It's sad the movies with the most game elements sucked the worst, but none got them very close anyway.

So what did I think? well, to be honest, I kind of hated it. Despite some halfway decent critic reviews, I just found I couldn't get into it. I expected them to go all out, and they ended up doing very little new. Continuity, something these films already weren't great at, was an absolute mess here. Characters from even the last movie were just gone, assumed dead, but not even mentioned. Hell, Claire Redifled is a major character again in this movie, and we never get any mention of Chris at all.  So moving forward, time for spoilers. Fair warning, this is going to be extremely long.

Spoiler:

If you want some more info about the plot or anything, I'll be happy to talk about it, but I've ranted enough for now. I'll probably come back and elaborate on Wesker, because I want it to be known for all they built that character up, what happens to him has to be the absolute stupidest, biggest waste of a character I've ever seen. And that's coming from me, who hated the game turned him into another generic T-virus mutant and made you punch boulders while fighting him.

4/10

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:13 pm

Just curious, why did the producers make Alice and not Jill Valentine the main character of the movie series? I never really understood that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:24 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
Just curious, why did the producers make Alice and not Jill Valentine the main character of the movie series? I never really understood that.

Gonna be honest, I'm not sure. I've heard Paul W.S. Anderson basically used these as a vehicle for his wife once he and Milla got together. But originally? I'm not entirely sure. Time to do some research. Also, I think I'm dropping my rating from 4/10 to 3/10. It was that bad to me. I didnt even mention how terrible the camera work is. Want to see what's happening? Too bad, because I'm convinced this movie doesn't want you to see anything

Edit: This is Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt.
Quote :
Paul W. S. Anderson wrote a screenplay, which was ultimately favored over Romero's. In late 2000, Anderson was announced as director and writer, and Resident Evil re-entered pre-production stages. Anderson stated the film would not include any tie-ins with the video game series as "under-performing movie tie-ins are too common and Resident Evil, of all games, deserved a good celluloid representation".

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:44 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Gonna be honest, I'm not sure. I've heard Paul W.S. Anderson basically used these as a vehicle for his wife once he and Milla got together. But originally? I'm not entirely sure. Time to do some research. Also, I think I'm dropping my rating from 4/10 to 3/10. It was that bad to me. I didnt even mention how terrible the camera work is. Want to see what's happening? Too bad, because I'm convinced this movie doesn't want you to see anything

Quote :
Paul W. S. Anderson wrote a screenplay, which was ultimately favored over Romero's. In late 2000, Anderson was announced as director and writer, and Resident Evil re-entered pre-production stages. Anderson stated the film would not include any tie-ins with the video game series as "under-performing movie tie-ins are too common and Resident Evil, of all games, deserved a good celluloid representation".

To be fair, considering all those crappy 1990's video game movies that I mentioned in the last thread, I can see why Anderson wanted to change things up a bit. That being said, I think if Milla was Jill, then we'd have less complaints. Just another case of taking the wrong lessons from failure. If anything else, bringing Clarie into the movies was if anything, an admission of that, so at least we can say that Anderson eventually learned from his mistake, at least to a certain extent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:53 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Quote :

To be fair I feel like your rating of the movie was going to be low regardless because you didnt like any of the others that came before it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:13 pm

@Dead2009 wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Quote :

To be fair I feel like your rating of the movie was going to be low regardless because you didnt like any of the others that came before it.
Thing is Dead, I know I harped a lot, but I did actually enjoy the first two. They aren't high art but I didn't hate them. It's the third and past where I start to take some major issues with the series, however I also acknowledge that for being films bearing the RE name, they've never been very close to the source material.

It's not just that it comes off as a bad film though. The editing is so terrible. AngryJoe has a great new review that talks about it. The ending too, in films where we've had giant monsters, and bio-weapons, it's very lackluster. I'll straight up spoil Wesker's Death and you tell me how it sounds.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:23 pm

On Box Office Mojo, it's made $78 million, but most of that-$64.5 million-is oversees. To be fair, given it's $40 million dollar budget, it will be a profitable movie. The chances of any new movie is still going to be low, though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:41 am

Well this was marketed as the final one in Alice's story, so if there's any more down the line it'll be due to a reboot.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:15 pm

The only question is what kind of reboot? A hard reboot which would reset things or will it be a soft reboot with Claire Redfield as the main character? I'm guessing they will try at least one movie with Claire and see how that goes before considering to start all over again. Who knows, maybe if they do the soft reboot route with Claire as the main character, we might also get a new director.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:05 pm

I hope complete overhaul reboot, starting over with actual game characters and an actual mansion. Do something like Night of the Living Dead meets Saw, not in the sadistic death trap way, but to explain the puzzles in the house. Give them context as extreme measures to cover Umbrella's work. Bring them back to horror with action elements, remove the Kung fu and powered heroes in favor of gunplay, and keep the effects as practical as possible.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oshronosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:25 am

i forget, was it already mentioned that Romero himself was originally slated to direct the first Resident Evil movie?

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:36 am

Yes. You can see it here.

It would have been better get a new director after the 3rd or 4th one.The first Mortal Kombat movie was his magnum opus, but since those RE movies that I mentioned earlier, it's clear that he lost his  really has lost his touch.

Worse yet, one person got horribly mangled in an accident and had an arm amputated and another person died via getting crushed to death by a U.S. Army Humvee while making this movie. Which is sad.

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:35 am

@Rhedosaurus wrote:

It would have been better get a new director after the 3rd or 4th one.The first Mortal Kombat movie was his magnum opus, but since those RE movies that I mentioned earlier, it's clear that he lost his  really has lost his touch.

Worse yet, got horribly mangled in an accident and had an arm amputated and another person died via getting crushed to death by a U.S. Army Humvee while making this movie. Which is sad.

There were some pretty awful accidents involved with these movies. Feels so wasted given it was for these films.

On the subject of the director thing, interestingly, the initial sequels actually had different directors. Considering both are not terrible, I wonder how much pull they had doing some different things, despite Anderson still writing.

Resident Evil: Director: Paul W.S. Anderson
RE: Apocalypse- Director: Alexander Witt
RE: Extinction- Director: Russell Mulcahy
Rest- Director: Paul W.S. Anderson

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:57 am

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Worse yet, got horribly mangled in an accident and had an arm amputated and another person died via getting crushed to death by a U.S. Army Humvee while making this movie. Which is sad.

There were some pretty awful accidents involved with these movies. Feels so wasted given it was for these films.

On the subject of the director thing, interestingly, the initial sequels actually had different directors. Considering both are not terrible, I wonder how much pull they had doing some different things, despite Anderson still writing.

Resident Evil: Director: Paul W.S. Anderson
RE: Apocalypse- Director: Alexander Witt
RE: Extinction- Director: Russell Mulcahy
Rest- Director: Paul W.S. Anderson

You know, I'm surprised that nobody has got sued yet. While this movie will make a profit, I can't help but wonder how much Sony is going to pay off the family of the one guy and the stunt person who got mangled.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:31 pm

RE: The Final Chapter has broke even and made $80 million dollars.

I thought that this movie would triple it's budget, but given how big it's dropped via word-of-mouth and internet critics, it's going to be interesting to see if it even makes $100 million.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:47 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
RE: The Final Chapter has broke even and made $80 million dollars.

I thought that this movie would triple it's budget, but given how big it's dropped via word-of-mouth and internet critics, it's going to be interesting to see if it even makes $100 million.

Can't say I'm upset. lol!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   

Back to top Go down

The Horror Movie Thread
Page 5 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Lounge :: Off-Topic Discussions-