Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarAbout UsJurassic-PediaFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Star Wars thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:53 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:

I still don't believe the rumors that he was fired ford misbehaving. If anything else, I still think all that's a cover story to hide the fact that KK has lost her touch from JP3 to today.

I'm thinking the same thing; he isn't the sort of person who gets fired for bad conduct. And people still call him a hack; this is one of those no-win scenarios if someone happens to consider him a good person but it still pisses me off. When you consider the number of people and sites who gladly take a dump on Colin just to make Abrams/Kennedy look good just adds a whole new level of disgust around the production of this trilogy.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:21 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

I still don't believe the rumors that he was fired ford misbehaving. If anything else, I still think all that's a cover story to hide the fact that KK has lost her touch from JP3 to today.

I'm thinking the same thing; he isn't the sort of person who gets fired for bad conduct. And people still call him a hack; this is one of those no-win scenarios if someone happens to consider him a good person but it still pisses me off. When you consider the number of people and sites who gladly take a dump on Colin just to make Abrams/Kennedy look good just adds a whole new level of disgust around the production of this trilogy.

And even then, it's not his fault. When you are so green with very little power, his situation via JW, then you really can't be blamed. It's not like Josh Trank offset during the making of Fant4stic which he acted like a total d-bag. We have too much proof that Trevorrow was never like what those rumors said.

If KK has any idea, she better be watching her back. Because if Disney was powerful enough to force EA the suspend the microtransactions of Battlefront 2, then they are more then powerful enough to fire her.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:24 pm

I hope so.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Trevorrow may have indeed been fired but for someone else's misadventures. His pal Derek Connolly was attached to write this was he not? Guy is a hack writer and a questionable person IRL. Also I believe his Book of Henry flop didn't help.

TRK-Adam Driver and Kylo went up in my book after this movie. In fact most of the newer characters went up following this movie. Oddly and sadly enough I don't think Carrie was the best she has been in the series. Think TFA was better even. But it is between Kylo and Luke. Finn, Poe and Rey had a fair number of moments too. Really a well-acted and character-developed film if anything.

EDIT: Also Kennedy's job is in no way threatened until a flop is produced. They could have flying elephants somersaulting onto a bald eagle on every set every day and Disney will keep her around as long as these movies make money. So far 3/3 on billion dollar films is likely. Han Solo could be that flop though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:09 pm

@Scott B wrote:
Trevorrow may have indeed been fired but for someone else's misadventures. His pal Derek Connolly was attached to write this was he not? Guy is a hack writer and a questionable person IRL. Also I believe his Book of Henry flop didn't help.

EDIT: Also Kennedy's job is in no way threatened until a flop is produced. They could have flying  elephants somersaulting onto a bald eagle on every set every day and Disney will keep her around as long as these movies make money. So far 3/3 on billion dollar films is likely. Han Solo could be that flop though.

What's the big deal with Connolly?

Also, Tom Rothman made Fox a very profitable studio, but he got fired in the end as well. If he can go despite being successful, then why can't KK?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:34 pm

IIRC he got up on stage at an award show drunk and made some callous comments and then went after fans on twitter really aggressively in a separate incident. This was after JW and before they were picked up for Star Wars. That type of behavior is hard to condition out. But you don't REALLY know celebrities, these fiascos out there the last few months are evidence of that. Maybe those were outliers for him or maybe Trevorrow did do something. We won't know because we weren't there I guess.

A) George Lucas appointed her and Disney seems apt to uphold some things of his when he left B ) She is a close friend of Spielberg as well...you know...only the most powerful filmmaker in the world. Wink C) Disney has not ousted Kevin Feige despite certain snafus with Ant-Man, Age of Ultron and others. D) She has presided over a really successful launch of Disney Star Wars in spite of the Han Solo stuff and Colin Trevorrow. And she is part of the story group.

Really, director shake ups and production issues happen all the time. Unless IX turns into a total abomination or Han Solo costs millions in losses I see no possible reason Disney in their right mind would can her. Trevorrow is just one director, a neophyte to boot. Yes, Spielberg seemed to see something in him and he directed Jurassic World but that doesn't mean he was the right fit for Star Wars, or that he was a saint during IX pre-production or whatever, or that he was the one in the right and KK is wrong for firing him. JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson, Ron Howard and even Gareth Edwards had no issues with their time in SW or experiences it would seem. JJ and Rian play ball the way Lucasfilm likes it and were brought back. I find it hard to believe that Kennedy would be fine and dandy with some but just hate on others just because. And Kennedy would give a Spielberg disciple all the rope she could afford, don't you think?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 pm

I tried remaining spoiler free as well. I caught a few spoilers, but nothing in context. I enjoyed the movie immensely and caught, I felt, almost everything. I did miss the Royal Cameos and Tom Hardy, though. I've been a fan since the 90s, and will continue to be so for the rest of my life. I thought this hit the chords as a SW flick on every level. It had humor, it had stakes, it felt like a SW movie to me, a lot more than TFA did. I mean, the biggest fault of TFA was that it was too much like ANH. Now, we get a new SW movie that is unexpected in every way yet still manages to feel like a SW movie in every sense... and fans don't want that either? I had one friend who criticized it by calling it too much like an 80's movie and a Flash Gordon movie. But that's what it's supposed to be! SW is an early 80s franchise, which Lucas created to evoke Flash Gordon serials. Literally, the biggest compliment you can give to a SW movie is to compare it to Flash Gordon! For me, TLJ may just be a contender with ESB for my favorite SW movie. Anybody who is still saying it's a rehash of ESB hasn't watched the film

Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:46 am

@CT-1138 wrote:
I tried remaining spoiler free as well. I caught a few spoilers, but nothing in context. I enjoyed the movie immensely and caught, I felt, almost everything. I did miss the Royal Cameos and Tom Hardy, though. I've been a fan since the 90s, and will continue to be so for the rest of my life. I thought this hit the chords as a SW flick on every level. It had humor, it had stakes, it felt like a SW movie to me, a lot more than TFA did. I mean, the biggest fault of TFA was that it was too much like ANH. Now, we get a new SW movie that is unexpected in every way yet still manages to feel like a SW movie in every sense... and fans don't want that either? I had one friend who criticized it by calling it too much like an 80's movie and a Flash Gordon movie. But that's what it's supposed to be! SW is an early 80s franchise, which Lucas created to evoke Flash Gordon serials. Literally, the biggest compliment you can give to a SW movie is to compare it to Flash Gordon! For me, TLJ may just be a contender with ESB for my favorite SW movie. Anybody who is still saying it's a rehash of ESB hasn't watched the film

Apparently they got cut if this Reddit post is to be believed. https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/7k9d64/qa_prince_harry_and_tom_hardy_didnt_make_the/

I was looking for them as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:43 am

Some now believe the princes made the cut as the executioner troopers aboard the Supremacy. No word over Hardy though.

List of the celebrity appearances in the film:

the cameos

Gordon-Levitt is probably my favorite besides

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TRK
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:39 am

48 Hours later and my opinion of the film is vastly changing after mulling over some of the facts of the movies. I am starting to like the movie more than what I did at first.

CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:58 pm

I think this movie is going to be more like RotS in its legacy. It'll be divisive now, but in years to come we'll comb through it and realize just how brilliant it was.

dance2nite
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:21 am

@CT-1138 wrote:
I think this movie is going to be more like RotS in its legacy. It'll be divisive now, but in years to come we'll comb through it and realize just how brilliant it was.

Really scratch , ROTS was actually good from the start...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:38 am

@dance2nite wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:

Ha! I thought the same thing lol. And we both are the only ones in the thread that thought last Jedi was mediocre.

I think it’s incredibly fascinating how divisive SW films are, maybe it has to do with personality? I mean all films have people that do like them and those that do not, but SW films atleast “seem” oddly specific to me. I feel we should do a scientific study Razz

But seriously can everyone here rank their SW films from best to worst? I’m very interested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:48 am

@Troyal1 wrote:

I think it’s incredibly fascinating how divisive SW films are, maybe it has to do with personality? I mean all films have people that do like them and those that do not, but SW films atleast “seem” oddly specific to me. I feel we should do a scientific study Razz

But seriously can everyone here rank their SW films from best to worst? I’m very interested.
From best to worst:

Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
A New Hope
Rogue One
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi (for now)
The Phantom Menace
Return of the Jedi
Attack of the Clones
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:55 am

I find it fascinating that Mark Hamill looked like he got shot after he saw the Last Jedi premiere. Looks like he wasn't told something there. O_O LOL

1 Empire Strikes Back
2 Revenge of the Sith (enjoy watching this more but Empire is way better)
3 A New Hope
4 The Last Jedi
5 Return of the Jedi
6 Attack of the Clones
7 The Force Awakens
8 Phantom Menace
9 Rogue One
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:15 am

I honestly don’t have much of a defined list apart from top 3.

1. ROTS(don’t kill me but I think it’s one of the most emotional films ever with an Incredible soundtrack). Love that movie to death.

2. ROTJ. To me this film is above empire because of the Luke and Vader stuff at the end. I absolutely love the fight, I think it’s incredibly emotional. The emperor scene as well. And it never fails to bring me to tears. My favorite “sequence” in a SW film.

3. Empire, I actually think this film is overrated. But it’s incredibly well structured and it just works as a whole. It reminds me of my opinion on Harry Potter 3, it’s part of a much bigger thing but the movie really stands on its own and I find it’s an easy watch because the pacing is so great. And the movie covers so much ground that the beginning feels so far away by the end. I love that in films.

Not really sure about the rest of the list. I think Rogue one is awful though. It reminds me of a certain DC film that I also cannot stand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Here are mine:

1. Empire - The best character work in the franchise, the deepest and richest one

2. A New Hope - Started it all, packed with cool mythology and fun characters

3. Return of the Jedi - unfairly maligned, throne room scenes are some of the best in the franchise and great action, plus a happy ending that feels earned

4. The Last Jedi - a rollicking fun ride with some new energy and ideas

5. Attack of the Clones - Not really a prequel fan, but I like Obi-Wan going Philip Marlowe and investigating in the mystery story, plus Dooku and Jango were the best (original) baddies in the prequels IMO - meaning aside from Sheev and Vader

6. Rogue One - a good war movie, and well acted, even if it's pretty nihilistic for a Star Wars movie - plus, that space battle was cool, but really just featured a bunch of red shirts

7. Phantom Menace - Not good, but Liam Neeson is Liam Neeson even when he's half asleep

8. Revenge of the Sith - I know this will be controversial, but it's my least favorite prequel. It's the most character-based of the lot, but the writing and acting are so bad, and it doesn't really jive with the originals - plus General Grievous is just Nute Gunray with lightsabers

9. Ewoks: The Battle for Endor

10. Caravan of Courage: Ewok Adventure

11. The Clone Wars

12. Spaceballs

13. Hardware Wars

14. The Force Awakens - I loathe this movie (and JJ Abrams). A hacky, dumpy, derivative fan film, IMO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:45 pm

My rankings :

1. Empire - 9/10
2. New Hope - 8.5/10
3. Return of the Jedi - 7.5/10
4. Revenge Of The Sith - 7/10
5. Force Awakens - 7/10
6. Attack Of The Clones - 6.5/10
7. Rouge One - 6.5/10
8. Last Jedi - 6/10
9. Phantom Menace - 5/10

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:31 pm

So far, The Last Jedi has made $536,620,126 dollars.

Not bad for a movie that's HEAVILY dividing the fanbase.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:18 am

Should do JW numbers I think, $1.6-1.7B?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raptor_Guard999
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:19 am

My list:

Return of the Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope(all the originals are pretty much on par with each other though)
The Last Jedi(like how unpredictable it is)
The Force Awakens
Rogue One(could have had better plot structuring and character development, but enjoyed the last act)
The Clone Wars animated series(best prequel in my mind, but not sure how to rank it compared to R1, TFA, and TLJ)
Revenge of the Sith(Closer to R1 than AotC)
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:44 pm

@dance2nite wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:

A lot of people didn't think very much of it in 2005.

Anyway, here's my listing:
1. ESB/TLJ (not sure which I like better yet)
2. Rogue One
3. ANH
4. RotJ
5. RotS
6. TPM
7. TFA
8. AotC

Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:24 pm

Rian Johnson explains why he basically 'Boba Fetted' Captain Phasma.

According to this, he wrote the script for TLJ before TFA even came out. Talk about putting the cart before the horse...Which would explain why it might not make as much as it was supposed to have made.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:15 am

They should have released new episodes every 3 years like the original & prequel trilogies did, gives them more time, Disney are rushing these films too quick...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:02 am

It wouldn't have mattered with this. Johnson had plenty of time to alter his script to better fit with TFA or adjust Phasma's role and he didn't do it. they have delayed IX once so they might do it again to give Abrams more time.

As an aside, I thought Canto Bight would have been a perfect opportunity to bring back Lando instead of DJ.

Hux almost murdered Kylo Ren in the throne chamber...bet he regretted being too slow soon after.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:51 pm

I will say that of all the so called sins commited by the ST, Phasma is by far the one that irks me the most. The boys in marketing tried forcing the character. They wanted another Boba Fett. Boba Fett's popularity stems from the fan's choice to make him popular. Lucas just wanted a badass, futuristic looking bounty hunter. He didn't expect Boba to become popular. Phasma was always just around to sell toys and t-shirts.

Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:39 pm

@CT-1138 wrote:
I will say that of all the so called sins commited by the ST, Phasma is by far the one that irks me the most. The boys in marketing tried forcing the character. They wanted another Boba Fett. Boba Fett's popularity stems from the fan's choice to make him popular. Lucas just wanted a badass, futuristic looking bounty hunter. He didn't expect Boba to become popular. Phasma was always just around to sell toys and t-shirts.

Another thing I find really annoying is how they parade here actress around like she’s a main character in all these interviews/fan events. Like she’s an integral part of the SW family..... I think I have legitimately seen more interviews (or atleast as many) with her than some major characters.

It’s just so odd. Considering she’s probably been on set what? A max of like 15 days?

Another salt in my wound is that I love her on game of thrones. I believe her to be very talented.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:12 am

@Troyal1 wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:

Another thing I find really annoying is how they parade here actress around like she’s a main character in all these interviews/fan events. Like she’s an integral part of the SW family..... I think I have legitimately seen more interviews (or atleast as many) with her than some major characters.

It’s just so odd. Considering she’s probably been on set what? A max of like 15 days?

Another salt in my wound is that I love her on game of thrones. I believe her to be very talented.

yeah Phasma was basically a glorified extra and was in no way shape or form a main character. I would say she's below that other random guy from canto blight in terms of importance.

Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:09 am

@Troyal1 wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:

Adam Driver suffers from social anxiety a bit like Harrison Ford so he has minimal promo appearances (basically the big network night talk shows) while Gwendoline Christie does not and she has Game of Thrones cachet to her name so she is marketable.

Phasma has always been a bit of a cluster muck since she is associated with Disney succumbing to societal pressures. Phasma was originally a male they turned female due to complaints of a predominantly male cast. She then was probably upped in importance to get people off their backs and thus an unwarranted billing was born.

Other guy on Canto Bight? DJ/Benicio del Toro?

FUN FACT: Benny of the Bull was set to play Darth Maul in TPM but dropped out when Maul was changed to have minimal lines and a smaller presence. He made it into Star Wars 18 years later...with a small role and minimal presence. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TyrannoFan
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:52 am

Phasma's actress also played Brienne of Tarth in GoT. I'm sure that factored into her being hyped up more than her character was actually worth.

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   

Back to top Go down

The Star Wars thread
Page 21 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24 ... 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Lounge :: Off-Topic Discussions-
Jump to: