Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inJurassic-Pedia

Share | 

The Star Wars thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
AuthorMessage
BoulderFaceplant
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:52 am

I wanted so much to enjoy TLJ. Star Wars means a lot to me and it’s important that they get this right, especially given their use of the original characters. After seeing TLJ, with its unfunny humor, terrible pacing, cavernous plot holes, and how KK destroyed the character of Luke Skywalker, I must say that I feel extremely validated as a JP fan. That’s literally the only good thing to come from the ruination of the Star Wars saga. Star Wars fans have been shitting all over JW and snobbishly holding up the sequel trilogy as a bastion of sensible writing and respect for the fans. Well how did that work out for ya? Look, I’m not saying that Fallen Kingdom is gauranteed to be good. My point is that Star Wars fans did exactly this with TLJ, at the expense of another they know little about (how many JP “plot holes” have we seen pointed out that actually have explanations?). I will say that FK looks to be honoring the original while appropriately exploring new ideas. Who knows how that will turn out (Sorna, don’t you disappear on us!). But at least we’re not blinded to reality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:47 pm

The Last Jedi had a 77% Friday to Friday drop. The largest in Star Wars history.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott B
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:03 pm

@BoulderFaceplant wrote:
I wanted so much to enjoy TLJ. Star Wars means a lot to me and it’s important that they get this right, especially given their use of the original characters. After seeing TLJ, with its unfunny humor, terrible pacing, cavernous plot holes, and how KK destroyed the character of Luke Skywalker, I must say that I feel extremely validated as a JP fan. That’s literally the only good thing to come from the ruination of the Star Wars saga. Star Wars fans have been shitting all over JW and snobbishly holding up the sequel trilogy as a bastion of sensible writing and respect for the fans. Well how did that work out for ya? Look, I’m not saying that Fallen Kingdom is gauranteed to be good. My point is that Star Wars fans did exactly this with TLJ, at the expense of another they know little about (how many JP “plot holes” have we seen pointed out that actually have explanations?). I will say that FK looks to be honoring the original while appropriately exploring new ideas. Who knows how that will turn out (Sorna, don’t you disappear on us!). But at least we’re not blinded to reality.

Kathleen Kennedy isn't the writer and Luke was destroyed (personally they gave more respect to Luke than they ever did to Han)? And Star Wars is ruined? It will still close around a billion and Empire was not very popular among fans and critics...time is the only determinant on legacy. I would like to read exactly why you blame KK and explain why Luke and SW was ruined, honest curiosity here.

Also, Fallen Kingdom may be good and respect the original works (doesn't really look to be the case but maybe) but I am not sure how Star Wars being unpopular with fans validates anything with the JP franchise. JP doesn't need validation, neither does SW, honestly (fans shouldn't have to feel that either). And how does that excuse the abomination of /// and travesty called JW?

Oh and btw, I don't know who you've been talking to but I have not seen one person uphold the sequel trilogy as an example of great writing and sound plot nor respect for the fans. It has almost been the opposite. The Prequel trilogy is being favored almost universally, doubly so now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:14 pm

@Scott B wrote:
@BoulderFaceplant wrote:

Kathleen Kennedy isn't the writer and Luke was destroyed (personally they gave more respect to Luke than they ever did to Han)? And Star Wars is ruined? It will still close around a billion and Empire was not very popular among fans and critics...time is the only determinant on legacy. I would like to read exactly why you blame KK and explain why Luke and SW was ruined, honest curiosity here.

If anything else, KK can be blamed for giving Rian Johnson so much free reign in the first place via screenwriting it without seeing TFA in the first place. In many ways, I can't help but compare this to how she let JP3 get made without a script when she-and in fairness, Spielberg as well-had the power to stop it in order to make it a better movie. The fan outrage of TLJ kind of reminds me of the fan outrage of JP3 as well, even if it's for different reasons.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BoulderFaceplant
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:13 pm

@Scott B wrote:
@BoulderFaceplant wrote:

Also, Fallen Kingdom may be good and respect the original works (doesn't really look to be the case but maybe) but I am not sure how Star Wars being unpopular with fans validates anything with the JP franchise. JP doesn't need validation, neither does SW, honestly (fans shouldn't have to feel that either). And how does that excuse the abomination of /// and travesty called JW?

Oh and btw, I don't know who you've been talking to but I have not seen one person uphold the sequel trilogy as an example of great writing and sound plot nor respect for the fans. It has almost been the opposite. The Prequel trilogy is being favored almost universally, doubly so now.

Well first we need to establish where we disagree. JW wasnt a travesty at all, and is in fact a much better-made and more enjoyable film than TLJ. Secondly, we clearly have differing opinions on how FK is shaping up.

Kathleen Kennedy is far from the only one to blame for this debacle. But she is at the helm, letting directors get away with terrible decisions and suffocating the ones that wanted to do anything against the think-tank mindset of her and her cronies. I don’t know why you seem so fixated on this point. Lucasfilm has been systematically ignoring good ideas for a long time since the mid-90’s. What we see now is how this idiocy ruins established icons like never before. It’s reached a peak with KK, and given how George Lucas conducted his dominion, it’s safe to predict things would’ve turned out similarly with him at the helm. But KK is in charge now.

If you have problems with my opinions on Luke, know that they echo those of Mark Hamill himself. He’s overtly defeatist and unjustifiably pathetic in this film. Simply put, this is not Luke.

I’m curious as to why you think JW is a travesty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:25 pm

Americans love processed cheese product. They love those yellow slices of plastic because companies shoved it down our throats for so many years until for some individuals it became the only cheese they knew. Those gourmet cheeses Europeans are always eating are considered weird, exotic, and not most peoples things. They eat cheddar, provolone, swiss, and occasionally dabble in bleu cheese if it's on a Red Robin burger, but for the most part they stick to the same old thing. And guess what that is? Crap.

That's how I feel about all this negative reaction toward The Last Jedi. You guys wait for the best film of the new series to complain? You swallowed all those hackneyed homages and repetitions of things we'd already seen before but once they decide to do something that major film studios never do, taking a risk, you hate it? Could you not see what they were going for? Could you not appreciate the artistic take they did? Are you mad things didn't go as planned? Why must you only appreciate predictability? The the film's central message of letting go of the past go through you as you got made at the superficial stuff?

I'll also say this; Rain Johnson made an artistic risk and it's going to be remembered for a long time. And that's great because it's more than the thousnads of Marvel movies you same people go to see every week will have.

View user profile http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
BoulderFaceplant
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:13 pm

I respect TLJ for taking risks and as a movie it’s a 6/10, but there is so much wrong with it from an objective standpoint that I don’t even know where to begin. It’s a disaster in terms of Star Wars lore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:49 pm

@BoulderFaceplant wrote:
I respect TLJ for taking risks and as a movie it’s a 6/10, but there is so much wrong with it from an objective standpoint that I don’t even know where to begin. It’s a disaster in terms of Star Wars lore.
I'm willing to admit that it's not perfect, many people have valid points about the jarring humor toward the beginning of the movie, the plot holes regarding some of the battles, and a lot of moments that could be argued as filler. But from an objective standpoint? It's better than Force Awakens and far better than Rogue One. And I know you disagree with that, because there is no objectivity with this, but come on. It has the same amount of flaws as the Force Awakens (I'd argue less. Everyone said how much they loved Force Awakens but they all listed a thousand things wrong with it. This one I count three to four complains and none of them are that severe) plus the added risks and exploration of deeper themes that the last one didn't have.

Also, a disaster for the lore? How, in any way shape or form is it a disaster?

View user profile http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:22 pm

@evolution_rex wrote:
@BoulderFaceplant wrote:
I'm willing to admit that it's not perfect, many people have valid points about the jarring humor toward the beginning of the movie, the plot holes regarding some of the battles, and a lot of moments that could be argued as filler. But from an objective standpoint? It's better than Force Awakens and far better than Rogue One. And I know you disagree with that, because there is no objectivity with this, but come on. It has the same amount of flaws as the Force Awakens (I'd argue less. Everyone said how much they loved Force Awakens but they all listed a thousand things wrong with it. This one I count three to four complains and none of them are that severe) plus the added risks and exploration of deeper themes that the last one didn't have.

Also, a disaster for the lore? How, in any way shape or form is it a disaster?

Well, they did destroy Luke. In the OT he was determined to save his father but in this movie, he tried to kill his nephew instead of working harder to save him. Even Mark Hamill himself has rejected how Rian Johnson treated his character.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
V.a.nublarensis
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:37 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
The Last Jedi had a 77% Friday to Friday drop. The largest in Star Wars history.
That sounds bad at first glance, but all factors considered, I don't think Disney will start to panic over this. It's hilarious watching people at BOT act like this will be a 1.4 billion dollar flop, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:01 pm

For me it’s not about the film taking risks. Just because you take risks doesn’t necessarily mean they are good decisions. TFA set up things like them or not, and there needed to be a plan here. But it legitimately felt like they just winged it.  It felt different for the sake of it. I’m pretty sure Rain said there wasn’t really a plan after TFA which is crazy to me.

More of my problems and a rant basically on how I felt.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:27 pm

Reylo needs to end. I mean...that was gross on every level.

Scott B
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:27 am

@BoulderFaceplant wrote:
@Scott B wrote:
@BoulderFaceplant wrote:

Well first we need to establish where we disagree. JW wasnt a travesty at all, and is in fact a much better-made and more enjoyable film than TLJ. Secondly, we clearly have differing opinions on how FK is shaping up.

Kathleen Kennedy is far from the only one to blame for this debacle. But she is at the helm, letting directors get away with terrible decisions and suffocating the ones that wanted to do anything against the think-tank mindset of her and her cronies. I don’t know why you seem so fixated on this point. Lucasfilm has been systematically ignoring good ideas for a long time since the mid-90’s. What we see now is how this idiocy ruins established icons like never before. It’s reached a peak with KK, and given how George Lucas conducted his dominion, it’s safe to predict things would’ve turned out similarly with him at the helm. But KK is in charge now.

If you have problems with my opinions on Luke, know that they echo those of Mark Hamill himself. He’s overtly defeatist and unjustifiably pathetic in this film. Simply put, this is not Luke.

I’m curious as to why you think JW is a travesty.

As far as I know she has had three problems so far with the direction the saga is/was going. One regarded even more drastic humor and jarring changes in tone, another had massive story changes in reshoots (turned out ok, although I feel Rogue One was terrible outside of the OT characters in it) and the third involved events we are not privy to regarding Episode IX. So until we get a tell-all about Episode IX her stranglehold has panned out just fine so far. Her cronies are longtime Lucasfilm employees or collaborators that were custodians of the old EU. I can't say anything about the terrible decisions apart from objectivity saying they weren't terrible. The critics think the films were above average and until TLJ so did the audience. That isn't to say I think they were perfect but terrible decisions they were not (again objectively speaking). Lucasfilm has been ignoring good ideas since the 90s? This era spawned the Knights of the Old Republic, Bounty Hunter, Revenge of the Sith, Labyrinth of Evil, Shatterpoint, Death Troopers(not the Rogue One guys), etc.

Icons were not ruined in the way you were thinking for the old Lucasfilm. They were ruined by being too deified (clearly not an issue now). Too perfect. The old continuity had a god-like, perfect Luke Skywalker to bail out everyone, clone Emperor, had the original SW Mary Sue Anakin Solo, Han and Leia were always on the right side of things and then we had the ultimate in fanfic garbage in the Karen Traviss worship of the Mandalorians and especially Boba Fett. Some of the EU stuff in the old days makes this new era look like Hamlet. Lucas had his own ideas for the ST and they did not involved mashing the greatest hits of the EU into a remix of the OT and labeling it as new. He was also extremely ambitious calling for Star Wars: Underworld to be 400 episodes, each scored by John Williams and focusing on the birth of the rebellion through minor characters eyes. His vision for the future was probably not what you were expecting.

I am aware of how Mark felt and even more aware that they seemed to hide the ending from him given the press appearance after the premiere but how else was he going to  act in TLJ? Luke needed a character arc that made sense given how they went about the creation of this trilogy and how much time had passed. But I knew from the release of the trailer where he said "It is time for the Jedi to end." That his story was one of redemption. It was one where he had to go from thinking the Jedi had to be over to thinking they must live on. To go from no hope to having the most faith of all. And that is what happened in this movie. He doesn't stay defeatist. He doesn't stay pathetic and he doesn't get killed by some young upstart in battle. Aside from being that same perfect, god-like being that could do no wrong that appeared in the old EU there wasn't much that could be done with him where he'd still be a growing character. Luke has always been less than perfect, been human. Remember his failure at the cave? Remember his lack of belief and defeatist attitude toward Yoda time and again to the point he had to be shown what was possible with the right mindset? Remember how he didn't listen to Kenobi or Yoda and took Vader on despite not being ready? And then when he was a Jedi how he accused Yoda of dishonesty and an agenda because Yoda lamented Luke discovered Vader's identity? Luke has always been flawed, a less than perfect Jedi and individual. A defeatist.  "You want the impossible." "Master, moving stones is one thing, this is totally different." "I...I don't believe it!" "I can't do it Artoo, I can't go on alone." Do any of these lines sound like a confident, capable Jedi? Truly the only thing that is remotely wrong about his characterization is his steadfast belief Kylo was irredeemable and guess what? He changes on that too. "No one is ever really gone." Luke grows and changes more than anyone in the film by a mile. And I guess it is pathetic to save the last of the Resistance, teach a lesson to one's nephew and show just how powerful one is compared to anyone else without lifting a saber or having to be there. And he clearly isn't going away "See you around kid" and the peace and PURPOSE bit.

JW, simply put, is not Crichton's Jurassic Park and it is not a Jurassic Park film. I've said my piece on it numerous times before and I'd rather not get into a debate over it in a SW thread but suffice to say that if you think Luke isn't Luke in TLJ then JW is another galaxy away from JP in faithfulness to the original.

Sickle--I am more annoyed with how Reylo took off in the movie than it actually existing. It could have been a decent storyline if the Rey part hadn't been kicked off because he was shirtless. She had absolutely no interest in him until he refused to put a shirt on. Then she wanted to save him and seemingly be with him. Had it been done smarter, that could have been interesting and welcome. As it stands I prefer Rey and Finn but that ship has sailed.

Troyal--Rian just chose to stick to his vision for TLJ rather than adapt it to fit more congruently with TFA. That's all. He had the treatment finished before TFA went to theaters. That is why certain things that seemed big got downplayed or ignored in this one. Like the Knights of Ren.

As for Rey being so powerful, that is one of the few major issues. She is as strong as a Skywalker, the most powerful bloodline in history...so she better have some ancestor of importance. I still think Solo was manipulating her in that scene to get her on his side. Just glad she is not a Kenobi because THAT would well and truly destroy a character.

Yoda snaps Luke out of his funk not Rey. Rey tried to but failed at every turn. It was not until Yoda returned for one final lesson to his old pupil that Luke came to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:26 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
For me it’s not about the film taking risks. Just because you take risks doesn’t necessarily mean they are good decisions. TFA set up things like them or not, and there needed to be a plan here. But it legitimately felt like they just winged it.  It felt different for the sake of it. I’m pretty sure Rain said there wasn’t really a plan after TFA which is crazy to me.

More of my problems and a rant basically on how I felt.

Spoiler:

If TFA played it too safe by being too much of 'A New Hope' semi-reboot, then TLJ played it far too dangerously and quite frankly did a dumb job, at that.

Destroying Luke's character

Making Leia into SuperLeia. (I know that she has Force powers that were inherited from her biological father, Darth Vader, but even so, that one scene was comically bad. Only her cyborg father could have made that work.)

Giving both Snoke and Captain Phasma the Boba Fett treatment.

The milking scene with that alien elephant seal, for the lack of a better way to call it.

And worst of all...

Spoiler wrote:
Not only having The First Order retake a large part of the galaxy in spite of Starkiller Base, aka The Death Planet, being destroyed, but their master plan for wiping out the Resistance being...FOR THEM TO BASICALLY RUN OUT OF GAS FOR THEIR SPACESHIPS!!!

In the immortal words of James Rolfe, aka The Angry Video Game Nerd "What were they thinking?" I'm not against taking risks, but there's a line that separates risky from stupidity. And us JP fans know that all to well via that one scene in JP3.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:09 pm

I know we keep bringing Jurassic Park/World here in relation to the Sequel Trilogy, but I do have to wonder with a massive box office drop off like this, will this be repeated by JW: Fallen Kingdom even it it manages to be the kind of film most of us fans want it to be; suspenseful, thoughtful, engaging, atmospheric, and a true continuation of Crichton's Jurassic universe, could we see a repeat of what is happening with The Last Jedi's box office?

Has this made audiences more wary and more willing to swear off nostalgic franchises (of which Jurassic Park is still considered second tier to Star Wars)?

Is Fallen Kingdom now more dependent than ever on as many things as possible going in it's favor as possible? (e.g. JW Evolution being a good game that does well with fans and reviewers, being able to stand on it's own two feet and people as a whole wanting to enjoy some dinosaur fun for a while as an alternative to the overly prevalent Disney properties)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott B
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:27 pm

Rhedo--Star Wars doesn't follow real life physics. Biggs told Porkins to eject during the Battle of Yavin. Maybe people can survive in space longer in SW than real-life. Princess Poppins is not a normal being in SW.

Snoke wasn't exactly given the Boba Fett treatment. More like the Count Dooku/Palpatine treatment. He was betrayed and died because he trusted someone too much. A Skywalker...who are notorious for choosing someone they love over a friend or mentor. Also this sort of thing happens in fiction quite a bit.

Phasma would have to be cool or interesting to be analogous to Fett. Razz

LOL That scene was unnecessary. XD

The First Order did not have to retake anything following the destruction of Starkiller. TLJ takes place IMMEDIATELY after TFA. Therefore whatever power and advantage they had in TFA (which they had quite a bit) carries over in TLJ. If they had the Republic and the Resistance on the ropes in TFA, it would be the same in TLJ. It is almost literally the exact same scenario ANH and ESB had. The Rebels destroyed the Death Star but that only slowed them down slightly, it didn't end anything. The Empire came back with a vengeance and had the Rebels running. The Resistance was still evacuating D'Qar, they hadn't even performed an assault on any FO stronghold after TFA.

As for the 2nd bit, that was a massive plot hole because one of the destroyers could have essentially executed a mini-hyperjump in front of the Raddus and trapped the Resistance. But you can chalk that up to Hux being an incompetent, stupid fool.

Barry--It is almost an inevitability that the sequel will drop off from JW. JW had the advantage of 15 years without another installment/was fresh, had the open park thing a lot of people seemed to have liked, had a lot of nostalgia going for it, and no one hadn't written the series off yet. This happens to almost all franchises in film. Unless they are seen as a landmark in film (or someone passes ala Heath Ledger or Paul Walker) the sequel does worse, even if the quality is the same or better.

Given how much JW made I'd be surprised if FK made as much or more even if it was better. But it obviously could happen. Unless it is a total abomination it won't drop like TLJ is dropping though. It will still get to a billion (IMAX and 3D will assure that if anything) and the third movie is still coming. The game will have no real impact for or against the film. It being any good will have an impact. I wouldn't worry about it until reviews come in or audience ratings come in on RottenTomatoes and CinemaScore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K_Ozz92
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:00 pm

Ok everything has been said now, there's a lot of discussion and polemic around the last movie, and  i know nobody cares for another opinion, specially not mine. I just watched The Last Jedi, I´ve been reading a lot about that freakin' movie for the past 2 weeks and altough I lost all the interest since Disney acquired the franchise (or maybe before, since the cgi clone wars movie), I just had to watch the movie for myself and I can only say...

Spoiler:

Maybe I'm overreacting but R.I.P. Star Wars.

"Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth."- Dr. Wu.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six-Foot Turkey
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:24 pm

I went into this film after gradually losing interest in anything Star Wars related. I didn't really like TFA and Rogue One lacked replay value. The Last Jedi surprised me and I actually quite liked it. It was too long, though and there were really awkward scenes that were just weird, but overall I was very satisfied. I actually went into this film with a negative attitude, expecting to leave rolling my eyes at it and assumed I wouldn't like it. I was wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Considering how Rian Johnson has left the fanbase VERY divided, does anybody think that Colin Trevorrow getting fired from Episode 9 winded up being a blessing in disguise, since he doesn't have to clean up the mess?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six-Foot Turkey
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:55 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
Considering how Rian Johnson has left the fanbase VERY divided, does anybody think that Colin Trevorrow getting fired from Episode 9 winded up being a blessing in disguise, since he doesn't have to clean up the mess?

I think Colin dodged a bullet. He probably knew what was coming and made a smart choice. I wouldn't like to direct a Star Wars film, the fans are too unforgiving.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:22 pm

@Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

I think Colin dodged a bullet. He probably knew what was coming and made a smart choice. I wouldn't like to direct a Star Wars film, the fans are too unforgiving.

Based on what happened, I think that 'aftermath movies', I.E. movies made after ROTJ the focused on the Empire getting finished off once and for all, would have been far better ideas then true outright sequels.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:35 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Based on what happened, I think that 'aftermath movies', I.E. movies made after ROTJ the focused on the Empire getting finished off once and for all, would have been far better ideas then true outright sequels.

All things considered, him being removed from directing Episode XI to (hopefully) focus on crafting the JP universe as best he can with Bayona's input has to be better for concluding the JP Saga, rather than having his attention be bifurcated across two different franchises.

The re-setting of the Star Wars universe to basically the status quo of the original trilogy is what's going to adversely affect not just how the Sequel Trilogy is viewed but anything in the franchise that tries to be more and better.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:51 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

All things considered, him being removed from directing Episode XI to (hopefully) focus on crafting the JP universe as best he can with Bayona's input has to be better for concluding the JP Saga, rather than having his attention be bifurcated across two different franchises.

The re-setting of the Star Wars universe to basically the status quo of the original trilogy is what's going to adversely affect not just how the Sequel Trilogy is viewed but anything in the franchise that tries to be more and better.

I just hope he can improve on his craft more. It's clear that he was pushed too soon and barely had much power in making the first JW movie. Maybe he can go back to lower budget movies and work his way up.

As for Star Wars in general, fire, or at least demote KK, and bring back Lucas as the producer/storyline manager. After all, what else can Disney do?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:35 pm

From people I've talked to, both the artsy general audience and the commonman general audience seem to be nkre than satisfied with this movie. I spoke to two elderly women today at work who loved the movie. They called it one of the best they've seen in years. The only people who don't seem to love this movie are the fans.

Six-Foot Turkey
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Did anyone else really love the Kylo Ren/Rey/Snoke scene?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:49 am

John Williams to Write the Theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/911479-john-williams-to-write-the-theme-for-solo-a-star-wars-story#pfDRt792LoW7j8lV.99

http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:10 pm

@Dead2009 wrote:
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/911479-john-williams-to-write-the-theme-for-solo-a-star-wars-story#pfDRt792LoW7j8lV.99

Not even that can save this movie. Yes, it might make a profit, but that doesn't mean it will be good. Nobody asked for this and not counting a cartoon show, nobody can pull of Han Solo like Harrison Ford.

Between her letting JP3 get run into the ground and all her misfires and mishaps, KK has proven that she is not the visionary that Lucas thought. At this point, George Lucas would be better off to replace her.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott B
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:43 pm

Six-Foot-Turkey--I definitely thought those were a highlight of the movie.

Not optimistic about it but I am not writing Solo off yet. Ron Howard isn't Joe Schmoe. I feel like Solo will be the weakest part of the movie though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six-Foot Turkey
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:20 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Dead2009 wrote:

Not even that can save this movie. Yes, it might make a profit, but that doesn't mean it will be good. Nobody asked for this and not counting a cartoon show, nobody can pull of Han Solo like Harrison Ford.

Between her letting JP3 get run into the ground and all her misfires and mishaps, KK has proven that she is not the visionary that Lucas thought. At this point, George Lucas would be better off to replace her.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least intrigued to see how Ehrenreich portrays Solo, but the film just isn't something I'm excited to see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six-Foot Turkey
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:21 pm

@Scott B wrote:
Six-Foot-Turkey--I definitely thought those were a highlight of the movie.

Not optimistic about it but I am not writing Solo off yet. Ron Howard isn't Joe Schmoe. I feel like Solo will be the weakest part of the movie though.

It was one of the moments in the film that really gave me that feel good moment. It really reminded me of Return of the Jedi, which is my favourite Star Wars film.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   

Back to top Go down

The Star Wars thread
Page 22 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Lounge :: Off-Topic Discussions-
Jump to: