Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)
 
Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarAbout UsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inJurassic-Pedia

Share | 
 

 The Star Wars thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
AuthorMessage
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1156
Points : 1993
Reputation : 59
Join date : 2016-06-17
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon May 07, 2018 6:09 pm

In appointing him to direct Jurassic World 3, Spielberg is showing his support for Trevorrow, in many ways as a rebuttal to Kennedy's decisions regarding being booted from Star Wars. This communicates that if nothing else he still has faith in the guy.

Meanwhile, the working relationship between Spielberg and Kennedy has likely become strained by this recent development. Kennedy's last project with Spielberg was 2016's The BFG, and she wasn't involved with any non-Star Wars projects or any of Spielberg's own movies moving forward. Though, being a Lucasfilm property, she IS involved with Indiana Jones 5. But I doubt she would try to push her old mentor around, but once he's directed his last Indy film its hard to imagine young up-and-coming directors being attracted to work at Lucasfilm even if it is with one of the golden film franchises.

_______________
"Life will find a way."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4037
Points : 4952
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon May 07, 2018 6:19 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
In appointing him to direct Jurassic World 3, Spielberg is showing his support for Trevorrow, in many ways as a rebuttal to Kennedy's decisions regarding being booted from Star Wars. This communicates that if nothing else he still has faith in the guy.

Meanwhile, the working relationship between Spielberg and Kennedy has likely become strained by this recent development. Kennedy's last project with Spielberg was 2016's The BFG, and she wasn't involved with any non-Star Wars projects or any of Spielberg's own movies moving forward. Though, being a Lucasfilm property, she IS involved with Indiana Jones 5. But I doubt she would try to push her old mentor around, but once he's directed his last Indy film its hard to imagine young up-and-coming directors being attracted to work at Lucasfilm even if it is with one of the golden film franchises.

I've been thinking that KK has been just a glorified coattail rider for most of her career and her handling of the Star Wars franchise exposes her. I saw the Midnight's Edge Avengers: Infinity War roundtable, and they mentioned how there's been a recent rivalry between KK and Kevin Feige. I see KK quitting or being fired sooner then later so I don't think it will last long.

And I'm surprised that Disney is letting IJ5 being made since, at this point, they are powerful enough that they really don't need this or Spielberg.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1156
Points : 1993
Reputation : 59
Join date : 2016-06-17
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon May 07, 2018 6:32 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:


I've been thinking that KK has been just a glorified coattail rider for most of her career and her handling of the Star Wars franchise exposes her. I saw the Midnight's Edge Avengers: Infinity War roundtable, and they mentioned how there's been a recent rivalry between KK and Kevin Feige. I see KK quitting or being fired sooner then later so I don't think it will last long.

And I'm surprised that Disney is letting IJ5 being made since, at this point, they are powerful enough that they really don't need this or Spielberg.

Fascinating... and given how huge Infinity War was, it isn't surprising that Kennedy would feel threatened by the Marvel blockbuster juggernaut and how much it's thrived under Kevin Fiege. She assumed control of what was originally the biggest franchise in cinema, and is now learning the hard way that it's not that any more.

I think Disney still has a modicum of faith in the property to attempt to reboot Indiana Jones, and that Spielberg's Indy 5 would be the gateway to that. But with the recent casting controversy regarding another classic Harrison Ford role, I wouldn't be surprised if Indy 5 is just a one and done deal and the character is never recast.

_______________
"Life will find a way."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4037
Points : 4952
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon May 07, 2018 6:38 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:


I've been thinking that KK has been just a glorified coattail rider for most of her career and her handling of the Star Wars franchise exposes her. I saw the Midnight's Edge Avengers: Infinity War roundtable, and they mentioned how there's been a recent rivalry between KK and Kevin Feige. I see KK quitting or being fired sooner then later so I don't think it will last long.

And I'm surprised that Disney is letting IJ5 being made since, at this point, they are powerful enough that they really don't need this or Spielberg.

Fascinating... and given how huge Infinity War was, it isn't surprising that Kennedy would feel threatened by the Marvel blockbuster juggernaut and how much it's thrived under Kevin Fiege. She assumed control of what was originally the biggest franchise in cinema, and is now learning the hard way that it's not that any more.

I think Disney still has a modicum of faith in the property to attempt to reboot Indiana Jones, and that Spielberg's Indy 5 would be the gateway to that. But with the recent casting controversy regarding another classic Harrison Ford role, I wouldn't be surprised if Indy 5 is just a one and done deal and the character is never recast.

And given how Avengers 4 will be coming out next year, how Solo might be profitable, but not totally as successful as it should be, the backlash over TLJ and how she WAS largely responsible for that, and them re-canonizing much of the stuff they ret-conned out of the franchise, I don't see things going up for her.

As for IJ5, I see this as the final Indy movie we will ever see again.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 886
Points : 1715
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon May 07, 2018 11:00 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:


I've been thinking that KK has been just a glorified coattail rider for most of her career and her handling of the Star Wars franchise exposes her. I saw the Midnight's Edge Avengers: Infinity War roundtable, and they mentioned how there's been a recent rivalry between KK and Kevin Feige. I see KK quitting or being fired sooner then later so I don't think it will last long.

And I'm surprised that Disney is letting IJ5 being made since, at this point, they are powerful enough that they really don't need this or Spielberg.

Fascinating... and given how huge Infinity War was, it isn't surprising that Kennedy would feel threatened by the Marvel blockbuster juggernaut and how much it's thrived under Kevin Fiege. She assumed control of what was originally the biggest franchise in cinema, and is now learning the hard way that it's not that any more.

I think Disney still has a modicum of faith in the property to attempt to reboot Indiana Jones, and that Spielberg's Indy 5 would be the gateway to that. But with the recent casting controversy regarding another classic Harrison Ford role, I wouldn't be surprised if Indy 5 is just a one and done deal and the character is never recast.

And given how Avengers 4 will be coming out next year, how Solo might be profitable, but not totally as successful as it should be, the backlash over TLJ and how she WAS largely responsible for that, and them re-canonizing much of the stuff they ret-conned out of the franchise, I don't see things going up for her.

As for IJ5, I see this as the final Indy movie we will ever see again.

Don't forget we're seeing more info she may have parted ways with Trevorrow much earlier and seems to be putting a lot of the blame on him, getting claims out there he was hard to work with or had a bad attitude.

Solo I think is looking a lot better than I expected. Now, I didn't expect to see trailers trying to show it as a trash fire or anything like that, but from what I've seen and given the controversy, it looks far better than what I thought we'd see out of that mess. I'd dare say I'm excited for it now.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4037
Points : 4952
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 08, 2018 8:49 am

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:


I've been thinking that KK has been just a glorified coattail rider for most of her career and her handling of the Star Wars franchise exposes her. I saw the Midnight's Edge Avengers: Infinity War roundtable, and they mentioned how there's been a recent rivalry between KK and Kevin Feige. I see KK quitting or being fired sooner then later so I don't think it will last long.

And I'm surprised that Disney is letting IJ5 being made since, at this point, they are powerful enough that they really don't need this or Spielberg.

Fascinating... and given how huge Infinity War was, it isn't surprising that Kennedy would feel threatened by the Marvel blockbuster juggernaut and how much it's thrived under Kevin Fiege. She assumed control of what was originally the biggest franchise in cinema, and is now learning the hard way that it's not that any more.

I think Disney still has a modicum of faith in the property to attempt to reboot Indiana Jones, and that Spielberg's Indy 5 would be the gateway to that. But with the recent casting controversy regarding another classic Harrison Ford role, I wouldn't be surprised if Indy 5 is just a one and done deal and the character is never recast.

And given how Avengers 4 will be coming out next year, how Solo might be profitable, but not totally as successful as it should be, the backlash over TLJ and how she WAS largely responsible for that, and them re-canonizing much of the stuff they ret-conned out of the franchise, I don't see things going up for her.

As for IJ5, I see this as the final Indy movie we will ever see again.

Don't forget we're seeing more info she may have parted ways with Trevorrow much earlier and seems to be putting a lot of the blame on him, getting claims out there he was hard to work with or had a bad attitude.

That was because his plans called for Snoke and Luke to stay alive but Rian Johnson talked KK into siding with him. KK also let Johnson throw out the plan that JJ Abrams had set for the whole new trilogy.

Besides, if he really did have a bad attitude, then wouldn't this have been also visible when JW was being made?

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 886
Points : 1715
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 08, 2018 9:56 am

I want to know what KK saw in Johnson. Don’t get me wrong I like TLJ, but it really does feel to me disjointed, and it not lining up with the plan makes sense. I actually feel sorry for Abrams’ having to follow it up. I wish Johnson had just held his wild ideas for his own trilogy.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4037
Points : 4952
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 08, 2018 5:30 pm

It looks like an early draft of Star Wars Episode 9 leaked on Reddit.



I find it funny that the plot synopsis of JW:FK was leaked here and not on Reddit or 4Chan.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1662
Points : 2590
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 22, 2018 6:33 pm


_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4037
Points : 4952
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 22, 2018 6:45 pm

So according to Rotten Tomatoes. Solo has a 70% from critics but a 41% anticipation rating from the fans.

It looks like KK's handling of the Star Wars franchise-the Rogue One reshoots, Rian Johnson having too much free reign over SW8 and him dividing the fanbase and throwing out J.J Abrams's plan for the trilogy, Trevorrow getting fired and being smeared, the first 2 directors of Solo getting fired, Ron Howard coming in and reshooting most of the movie-is REALLY hurting the movie before it comes out.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1662
Points : 2590
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Or...it has nothing to do with ANY of that and has to do with the fact that it looks bad?

_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1156
Points : 1993
Reputation : 59
Join date : 2016-06-17
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed May 23, 2018 5:32 am

I'd call it a combination of the movie itself looking bad and all the behind the scenes drama.

_______________
"Life will find a way."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4037
Points : 4952
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed May 23, 2018 8:46 am

@Dead2009 wrote:
Or...it has nothing to do with ANY of that and has to do with the fact that it looks bad?

Even if Solo looked good, the things I mentioned are simply too much NOT to play a factor and the anticipation rating would still be lower then it should be. KK has taken this franchise in a direction that a lot of fans don't like.

It's shaping up that Rogue One is the only real good Star Wars movie to come out the Disney era so far.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1662
Points : 2590
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 24, 2018 6:35 pm

LOGAN Director James Mangold Set To Write & Direct BOBA FETT: A STAR WARS STORY
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/star_wars/logan-director-james-mangold-set-to-write-direct-boba-fett-a-star-wars-story-a160865

_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4037
Points : 4952
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 24, 2018 6:39 pm

@Dead2009 wrote:
LOGAN Director James Mangold Set To Write & Direct BOBA FETT: A STAR WARS STORY
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/star_wars/logan-director-james-mangold-set-to-write-direct-boba-fett-a-star-wars-story-a160865

I like this news. Hopefully, if KK tries to interfere, then he tells her to pound sand. She may have tried, and for a while succedded with smearing the first 2 co-directors of Solo and Trevorrow, but that's not going to work with James Mangold. Not after he directed Logan, which was loved by a lot of people.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1662
Points : 2590
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 24, 2018 6:49 pm

Gonna ask you to chill out with the constant bashing of studios and this that and the other. It brings nothing to the discussion.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4037
Points : 4952
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 24, 2018 6:55 pm

@Dead2009 wrote:
Gonna ask you to chill out with the constant bashing of studios and this that and the other. It brings nothing to the discussion.

I'm simply point out the behavior of somebody in charge of a company that a lot of fans feel isn't doing a good job. Pointing this out is a valid part of discussion.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1662
Points : 2590
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 24, 2018 7:08 pm

Not when it's every other post. Just a suggestion.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 886
Points : 1715
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri May 25, 2018 11:28 am

Well I think KK made the right call. I saw Solo yesterday and I loved it. Solid 8/10, and while technically I was going to give it a 7, it corrected some issues I’ve had with the other films. There were tons of new aliens, but they finally brought back a few classic species. There were more Wookiees than just Chewie! Twi’leks, Rodians. And they referenced the hell out of The Phantom Menace of all things several times. Not my favorite SW movie but it was a fun ride, honestly more fun than I had with Last Jedi, and I still liked Last Jedi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4037
Points : 4952
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri May 25, 2018 5:29 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
Well I think KK made the right call. I saw Solo yesterday and I loved it. Solid 8/10, and while technically I was going to give it a 7, it corrected some issues I’ve had with the other films. There were tons of new aliens, but they finally brought back a few classic species. There were more Wookiees than just Chewie! Twi’leks, Rodians. And they referenced the hell out of The Phantom Menace of all things several times. Not my favorite SW movie but it was a fun ride, honestly more fun than I had with Last Jedi, and I still liked Last Jedi.

You're one of the few people who give Solo that high a score. From what I can tell from people who saw in one of the FB groups I'm in, it's not a bad movie, but one that barely justifies its existence. Many outright hate it.

In any case, it's supposed to make somewhere between just $105-$115 million this 4 day weekend.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
avatar

Posts : 808
Points : 3306
Reputation : 51
Join date : 2012-04-06
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat May 26, 2018 2:48 am

Yeah, the movie isn't doing great. A lot of critics say it's a generally okay but not great movie. It's fun, but it's not mind blowing. I've also seen that a lot of fans say that Danny Glover and the rest of the supporting cast prop the film up. The consensus I've heard about Alden Ehrenreich is he's not a great sell as Han Solo. The whole reason Ehrenreich was chosen was because he rubbed elbows with Spielberg at a few parties, and of course Spielberg is close to Kathleen Kennedy who runs LucasFIlm. The prime choice that a lot of fans would have chosen was Anthony Ingruber, who did a YouTube video impersonating Han and the guy looks and sounds perfect for the part.


That's his voice too. It took me a couple listens to realize he wasn't lip syncing Harrison. He's perfect! He just didn't "know" the right people. He's perfect! He just didn't "know" the right people.  

I think the movie isn't doing well because of a lit of bad production press and the fact that Ehrenreich just doesn't sell as Han Solo. The guy has NONE of Ford's charisma. I mean, let's face it. If you're playing a Harrison Ford character, you've GOTTA have the swagger to go with it. Apparently, they had to bring in acting coaches for him because he just couldn't sell it on stage. Some say it was because the two bozos that Kennedy hired just couldn't muster anything from Ehrenreich, but IDK. I'm inclined to think it's a mix of Ehrenreich not being very good and the first directors not knowing what they were doing. Personally, I think Ehrenreich was something not even Ron Howard's magic could entirely save. The problem is that we're stuck with Ehrenreich for two more contracted movies. And  they'll undoubtedly forge a history between Han and Boba. Heck, Lucas already went back and digitally inserted Boba into A New Hope, so there's that.

Speaking of Boba, Daniel Logan is a MUST casting for the character for me. He owns his own custom fitted Boba costume and he looks close enough like a young Temuera Morrison to be passable as a clone of Jango Fett.

_______________
SOMETHING HAS SURVIVED
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4037
Points : 4952
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat May 26, 2018 5:26 pm

@CT-1138 wrote:
Yeah, the movie isn't doing great. A lot of critics say it's a generally okay but not great movie. It's fun, but it's not mind blowing. I've also seen that a lot of fans say that Danny Glover and the rest of the supporting cast prop the film up. The consensus I've heard about Alden Ehrenreich is he's not a great sell as Han Solo. The whole reason Ehrenreich was chosen was because he rubbed elbows with Spielberg at a few parties, and of course Spielberg is close to Kathleen Kennedy who runs LucasFIlm. The prime choice that a lot of fans would have chosen was Anthony Ingruber, who did a YouTube video impersonating Han and the guy looks and sounds perfect for the part.


That's his voice too. It took me a couple listens to realize he wasn't lip syncing Harrison. He's perfect! He just didn't "know" the right people. He's perfect! He just didn't "know" the right people.  

I think the movie isn't doing well because of a lit of bad production press and the fact that Ehrenreich just doesn't sell as Han Solo. The guy has NONE of Ford's charisma. I mean, let's face it. If you're playing a Harrison Ford character, you've GOTTA have the swagger to go with it. Apparently, they had to bring in acting coaches for him because he just couldn't sell it on stage. Some say it was because the two bozos that Kennedy hired just couldn't muster anything from Ehrenreich, but IDK. I'm inclined to think it's a mix of Ehrenreich not being very good and the first directors not knowing what they were doing. Personally, I think Ehrenreich was something not even Ron Howard's magic could entirely save. The problem is that we're stuck with Ehrenreich for two more contracted movies. And  they'll undoubtedly forge a history between Han and Boba. Heck, Lucas already went back and digitally inserted Boba into A New Hope, so there's that.

Speaking of Boba, Daniel Logan is a MUST casting for the character for me. He owns his own custom fitted Boba costume and he looks close enough like a young Temuera Morrison to be passable as a clone of Jango Fett.

This Kennedy/Spielberg relationship really has become too old for modern times...


In any case, Solo made just $36 million on Fri.

This really looks like this movie is going to be in a Zilla category. I.E. A movie that while profitable, really won't be considered truely successful.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 886
Points : 1715
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun May 27, 2018 2:36 pm

I’ll just say to each their own. I’d still side with anyone that believes it’s an unnecessary movie, because it is. It’s one I enjoyed quite a bit though. As for Alden, I’m in the middle. There were times I thought he nailed it, and was ok. Then there were other times he was completely off base. I admit sometimes I kind of forgot this was supposed to be Han Solo. That said, keeping my rating, I had a lot fun with it.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oviraptor
Hatchling
Hatchling


Posts : 68
Points : 810
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon May 28, 2018 12:38 am

I loved Solo, my favorite part was the train heist but the rest of it was good also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4037
Points : 4952
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon May 28, 2018 6:04 pm

It looks like Solo bombed. Depending on what you read it only made $143 to $150 million worldwide in this 4 day weekend.

I wonder how much the budget was with at least 70% of the movie being reshot. In any case, head will roll eventually because of this.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 4037
Points : 4952
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 29, 2018 5:30 pm

Now it's getting into funny territory.

David Hollis, a distribution chief at Disney says that putting Solo against Avengers: Infinity War and Deaddpool 2 caused it to underperform.

In other words, Disney is partially blaming...itself.


lol! lol! lol! Laughing Laughing Laughing

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 886
Points : 1715
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 29, 2018 5:48 pm

I'm just going to leave this here:

Everyone Needs to Calm Down About Solo's Box Office Performance.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
avatar

Posts : 202
Points : 627
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2017-05-24

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 29, 2018 6:29 pm

I agree with those who felt it was superfluous. In fact, not only did it not take any real creative risks, but it didn't really tell us anything about Han that we didn't already know or could have guessed, (apparently he was always part of the criminal underworld, but they left how he actually became a smuggler for the next film I guess).

Not only did Han not seem the character we knew from the original films - he was a lot more like Luke -he never became that character - and in fact, seemed to be the same guy at the end of the film that he was at the beginning (a big storytelling no-no...but again, they thought this would get a sequel).

And THAT cameo felt like it was from another movie...as jarring as if Jar Jar had shown up in Rogue One.

On the bright side, I liked most of the performances, most notably Donald Glover and Woody Harrelson. Overall though, I'm not really a fan of Kathleen Kennedy's tenure however (wasn't JP3 bad enough)? I honestly kind-of miss George (and I'm by no means a prequel fan).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 886
Points : 1715
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 29, 2018 6:53 pm

@Robotpo wrote:
I agree with those who felt it was superfluous. In fact, not only did it not take any real creative risks, but it didn't really tell us anything about Han that we didn't already know or could have guessed, (apparently he was always part of the criminal underworld, but they left how he actually became a smuggler for the next film I guess).

Not only did Han not seem the character we knew from the original films - he was a lot more like Luke -he never became that character - and in fact, seemed to be the same guy at the end of the film that he was at the beginning (a big storytelling no-no...but again, they thought this would get a sequel).

And THAT cameo felt like it was from another movie...as jarring as if Jar Jar had shown up in Rogue One.

On the bright side, I liked most of the performances, most notably Donald Glover and Woody Harrelson. Overall though, I'm not really a fan of Kathleen Kennedy's tenure however (wasn't JP3 bad enough)? I honestly kind-of miss George (and I'm by no means a prequel fan).

Again, I think it was unnecessary, but I did enjoy it myself. On the George thing, I've heard that a few times, and while I like the prequels, I think it has to do with Lucas' restraint. Sure he wasn't always the best filmmaker, but I've always felt he was a good storyteller. So like with the OT, and honestly with Clone Wars past the movie he was heavily involved in, there are stories that are his but driven by other people. He never pushed it too far. By that I mean, he told his prequels and was content to be done, until he decided Clone Wars was the way to go. He hadn't really pushed for the sequels, and the EU he was largely hands off with, they just had to run big ideas by him. Disney however wants everything connected. They want a film every year. They want a couple animated series now it seems.


See, that one cameo, I liked it as a fan of Clone wars, but I also sort of liked it as an F-you to Marvel, because they tried the whole connectivity thing and then immediately ignored their TV division. But, if SW had ended with Episode III like I had made peace with back in 2005, it wouldn't have bothered me.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
avatar

Posts : 202
Points : 627
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2017-05-24

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 29, 2018 9:02 pm

The thing is, do we really need a movie a year? If they were telling an ambitious, bold new story and pushing the envelope, that would be one thing, but so far they seem content to mostly rely on nostalgia for the original films ideas' and characters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   

Back to top Go down
 
The Star Wars thread
Back to top 
Page 25 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Lounge :: Off-Topic Discussions-
Jump to: