Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarAbout UsJurassic-PediaFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Star Wars thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
AuthorMessage
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed May 30, 2018 11:18 am

@Robotpo wrote:
The thing is, do we really need a movie a year? If they were telling an ambitious, bold new story and pushing the envelope, that would be one thing, but so far they seem content to mostly rely on nostalgia for the original films ideas' and characters.

This I actually agree with. I don’t feel like every film will rely on that, but for some reason superhero movies that run similar formulas with different characters don’t seem to get stale but I’m already hearing Star Wars fatigue after only four films. I think if they had told their trilogy with two year gaps instead of a film every year, then moved to spin-off material and such, things might feel different. As is I’m mostly thankful for what we have though.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 31, 2018 4:15 am

Has anyone else seen Trevorrow's recent tweet replying to Mark Hamill (replying to Trevorrow)? It's really amusing. Laughing

https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow/status/1001795335331745792
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 31, 2018 6:51 am

Jeremy Jahns has an interesting observation about SW in the Disney era and the fansbase.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TRK
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 31, 2018 10:30 pm

I think Solo would have done better if it was released in December. Follow the form factor of R1 and make it a complete year before a movie is released. It didn't help that it was released around the same time as IW and DP2. I don't think it deserved to be trashed because TLJ reaction was mixed either.

I have not seen the film yet but have heard good things from people who both loved and hated TLJ.

The movie is suffering from Bias it does not deserve it seems.

TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:28 pm

@TRK wrote:
I think Solo would have done better if it was released in December. Follow the form factor of R1 and make it a complete year before a movie is released. It didn't help that it was released around the same time as IW and DP2. I don't think it deserved to be trashed because TLJ reaction was mixed either.

I have not seen the film yet but have heard good things from people who both loved and hated TLJ.

The movie is suffering from Bias it does not deserve it seems.

It's three fold really. There's fans like me who will at least see anything through Episode IX (and I admit I'll see beyond it, but if I was to say "Ok, Star Wars isn't what it used to be for me, this seems like a good stopping point," IX would be it.).

Then there's the TLJ haters who think all is lost for the franchise completely.

Then there's the people who just thought it was unnecessary film, which, I agree, but it didn't deter me from seeing.

I guess also there's general public which will split a couple ways.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:12 pm

I’m not trying to fuel the fire or anything, but I think John makes some great points here on why Kathleen Kennedy simply isn’t proper to run the franchise and needs to step down.

The biggest part I agree with him about is “looking backwards and not forward”

The prequels may have been really cheesy and lame in lots of parts, but I still felt like I was seeing something really new in each film. And those are prequels lol. Everything from the art direction down to the weapons still felt very Star Wars and Alien.

Disclaimer I did not see SOLO.

Where as with Disney SW films I feel like I’m watching the same old empire storyline with the same basic concept. There isn’t one single villain, hero or other element that sticks out to me in the slightest that makes me feel the universe has expanded in a cool and significant way. Rogue one can get a pass for that because it’s a bridge film. But I haven’t felt any magic for these new films at all.

Although I will admit they are in a damned if they do, damned if they don’t situation. If they make it too different people are gonna claim it has nothing to do with SW and is so in name only, if they make it too similar we are seeing the complaints we see know. I really take the new SW films the way I take Jurassic world though, as kind of an alternate history or even fan fiction in my head canon.

For example when I watch TLW and TLJ in my head Sorna is still completely fine and Luke lived happily ever after. All good things have to come to an end imo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:28 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
I’m not trying to fuel the fire or anything, but I think John makes some great points here on why Kathleen Kennedy simply isn’t proper to run the franchise and needs to step down.

The biggest part I agree with him about is “looking backwards and not forward”

The prequels may have been really cheesy and lame in lots of parts, but I still felt like I was seeing something really new in each film. And those are prequels lol.  Everything from the art direction down to the weapons still felt very Star Wars and Alien.  

Disclaimer I did not see SOLO.

Where as with Disney SW films I feel like I’m watching the same old empire storyline with the same basic concept. There isn’t one single villain, hero or other element that sticks out to me in the slightest that makes me feel the universe has expanded in a cool and significant way. Rogue one can get a pass for that because it’s a bridge film. But I haven’t felt any magic for these new films at all.

Although I will admit they are in a damned if they do, damned if they don’t situation. If they make it too different people are gonna claim it has nothing to do with SW and is so in name only, if they make it too similar we are seeing the complaints we see know.  I really take the new SW films the way I take Jurassic world though, as kind of an alternate history or even fan fiction in my head canon.

For example when I watch TLW and TLJ in my head Sorna is still completely fine and Luke lived happily ever after. All good things have to come to an end imo.  

I see things a bit differently. It's not that SW under KK is looking to much in the past as so much as they've learned the wrong lessons from the reactions to the prequels. Not only that, but they have very little clue how to successfully blend in old with new. The only time they succeeded was with Rouge One, which I really like. That may be the only truly successful SW film in the Disney era so far.

To be honest, I see the same thing-not really succeeding with mixing old and new-with the JP franchise. That and at least SW has made steps to make sure that the prequels are still hard canon via Rouge One, Rebels, and a certain cameo at the end of Solo. That and KK has made much of the old EU that was discarded and re-canonized it. The JP franchise simply threw the Sorna movies under the bus and trashed it.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:59 pm

Friendly reminder that people dont want these "this exec did this and this did that" to dominate the threads to push agendas. The next time these dominate a thread, warnings will be handed out.

http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:27 pm

So far, Solo has only made $264 million dollars.

It also had a 65% drop this weekend, earning just $29.6 million.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:49 pm

Supposedly, Solo will lose Lucasfilm $50-$80. Perhaps its time to consider Grace Randolph's suggestion of making Dave Filoni KK's lieutenant?

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/star_wars/solo-a-star-wars-story-heres-how-much-money-disney-is-likely-going-to-lose-on-the-movie-a161110
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Star Wars author calls fans white supremacists.

Is this guy begging to get fired? Did he not learn insulting your fans cost Sony at least $70 million when GB2016 bombed after they did the same thing?

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TRK
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Or Have Dave Filoni run the whole thing.

CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:40 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Is this guy begging to get fired? Did he not learn insulting your fans cost Sony at least $70 million when GB2016 bombed after they did the same thing?
If you've seen some of the misogynistic, racist, flat out disgusting comments I've seen you wouldn't be so quick to shake your head. I've seen comments dismissing Boyega as being "grouper faced" or other comments about his racial appearance, comments picking on the actress for Rose Tico's race and gender (some so bad I wouldn't dare repeat). In fact, the actress recently deleted her Twitter because the harassment has gotten so bad. I've seen a lot of terribly sexist comments towards Kathleen Kennedy, too. There's a lot of nasty people out there, and we're letting them have the loudest voice for the fandom just because they also dislike TLJ.

TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:55 pm

@CT-1138 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

If you've seen some of the misogynistic, racist, flat out disgusting comments I've seen you wouldn't be so quick to shake your head. I've seen comments dismissing Boyega as being "grouper faced" or other comments about his racial appearance, comments picking on the actress for Rose Tico's race and gender (some so bad I wouldn't dare repeat). In fact, the actress recently deleted her Twitter because the harassment has gotten so bad. I've seen a lot of terribly sexist comments towards Kathleen Kennedy, too. There's a lot of nasty people out there, and we're letting them have the loudest voice for the fandom just because they also dislike TLJ.

Let’s not forget the official site wishing KK a happy birthday on their Facebook, only for it to turn into more butthurt complaining.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:56 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Let’s not forget the official site wishing KK a happy birthday on their Facebook, only for it to turn into more butthurt complaining.
I literally just saw somebody on Facebook say they hoped somebody pushed Kennedy out in traffic. Not necessarily sexist, but it's still... wow.

Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:16 pm

@CT-1138 wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

I literally just saw somebody on Facebook say they hoped somebody pushed Kennedy out in traffic. Not necessarily sexist, but it's still... wow.

Jesus man.

Fandoms really lose all sight of morality and ethics when you come for “their movie”.

And I say that as someone who hates Disney SW, and I actually do think they are pushing feminism a bit too hard. But it’s not good to have such hateful speech against people.

I often wonder if people like that realize they are 1000 times worse than Kathleen Kennedy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:38 am

@Troyal1 wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Jesus man.

Fandoms really lose all sight of morality and ethics when you come for “their movie”.

And I say that as someone who hates Disney SW, and I actually do think they are pushing feminism a bit too hard. But it’s not good to have such hateful speech against people.

I often wonder if people like that realize they are 1000 times worse than Kathleen Kennedy?

I don't think they care. To oddly paraphrase Squidward from SpongeBob- "Nobody cares about the working man as long as they get their instant gratification." They don't care what goes into these movies, who actually works on them. If the movie doesn't meet their standards and they aren't happy, everyone is the devil. Well, scratch that a bit, they for sure care about Rian Johnson and KK and how they're ruining their Star Wars. But they don't see them as people. Kelly-Marie Tran (sp?), Rose, got bullied off Instagram for basically being an Asian woman. Did I think her character was great? No, but I don't hate the poor woman, and certainly wouldn't ever want her harmed for being Star Wars.

Makes me wonder if the prequel era would've been this bad if the internet had been like this in 1999.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:15 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
Makes me wonder if the prequel era would've been this bad if the internet had been like this in 1999.
Oh undoubtedly. If the internet was around in the 50s, I'm sure none of us would even be here now. The world is full of nasty thoughts and for most of human history, people kept them mostly to themselves.

Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:11 pm

@CT-1138 wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

I just think that those people are just either trolls that are posing as fans or a very small minority.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:20 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Jesus man.

I don't think they care. To oddly paraphrase Squidward from SpongeBob- "Nobody cares about the working man as long as they get their instant gratification." They don't care what goes into these movies, who actually works on them. If the movie doesn't meet their standards and they aren't happy, everyone is the devil. Well, scratch that a bit, they for sure care about Rian Johnson and KK and how they're ruining their Star Wars. But they don't see them as people. Kelly-Marie Tran (sp?), Rose, got bullied off Instagram for basically being an Asian woman. Did I think her character was great? No, but I don't hate the poor woman, and certainly wouldn't ever want her harmed for being Star Wars.

I think it would be really bad with social media. If I’m not mistaken the kid got a lot of shit for phantom menace. If he had a Twitter it might be devastating. Probably death threats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:04 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

I just think that those people are just either trolls that are posing as fans or a very small minority.
They are, but they're a vocal minority.

Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:18 pm

It looks like Kathleen Kennedy might step down in September.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TRK
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:06 pm

Please promote Filoni.

Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 pm

Disney should be the ultimate troll and bring back George XD.

Personally I’d love him to be involved actually. I just wanna see what he’d come up with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:02 am

@Troyal1 wrote:
Disney should be the ultimate troll and bring back George XD.

Personally I’d love him to be involved actually. I just wanna see what he’d come up with.

Honestly, bring him on as an ideas man. Give ideas to writers, let them write, then select directors. George isn’t even an awful director technically, but I feel again, short bursts. The story about him toying with a scene for Solo that Howard went with is a great example. He knows his characters.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robotpo
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:26 pm

^^ They desperately need an ideas man/woman, IMO. I think KK is a shrewd business woman, but not a creative visionary.

I actually think they should get some young, hungry, ambitious writers, bustling with creativity (as Lucas was when the made the original trilogy), and let them run the new story group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:19 pm

Here's the Midnight's Edge postmortem about Solo. Not only is Rian Johnson's personal trilogy look to be doomed, but if KK picks her predecessor, then she could be worse. Hopefully, Dave Filoni gets picked instead.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:40 pm

There’s been literally no talk of Rian Johnson’s trilogy since it was announced. I never really buy too heavily into these videos because a lot is based on rumors. There’s still no indication KK is stepping down. It just sounds too much like reaction to all the butthurt fanboys whining everywhere.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:47 am

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
There’s been literally no talk of Rian Johnson’s trilogy since it was announced. I never really buy too heavily into these videos because a lot is based on rumors. There’s still no indication KK is stepping down. It just sounds too much like reaction to all the butthurt fanboys whining everywhere.

This group has been right on with most of what they say. They got it right with Fant4stic, BvS, GB2016, Justice League, and now Solo. I wouldn't dismiss them.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   

Back to top Go down

The Star Wars thread
Page 26 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Lounge :: Off-Topic Discussions-
Jump to: