Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)
 
Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inJurassic-Pedia

Share | 
 

 It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 797
Points : 1591
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 29
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:46 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
If it does a moderate box office hit (like say the first Michael Bay Ninja Turtles movie) and get mixed to average reviews, my hope would be that they redesign the Zords and Ranger suits to more resemble the show, even if it means we only get the iconic looking Megazord and Dragonzord just once. But I know they're not going to do that because they want to promote this as Lionsgate's Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and not the original show.

At that point, I assume a sequel might do some redesigns but not completely overhaul everything. After all, they want to sell toys and rereleasing the same 5 Rangers won't do. I'm wondering if besides Gredn, we might get Shield power ups for all the Rangers. I can't imagine them completely changing the Zords yet, but if they make it a trilogy, I could see them updating the Thunder Zords for a future film.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3893
Points : 4767
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:01 pm

In case anybody cares, the yellow ranger is trying to find herself sexually. I can't help but wonder if this is a form of apology to David Yost to make up for all the times he was picked on for being gay. Personally, I don't think it was needed.


Here are some of the first reviews for the new Power Rangers movie......And they're not good.

David Ehrlich from IndieWire gave it a C-.

Germain Lussier from io9 said that it's not good too. To be fair, he does like Elizabeth Banks as Rita and R.J. Cyler as Billy but that's about it.

Basically, it looks like this movie made the same mistake that Trank/Fox did with Fant4stic in that they made it too dark and they didn't embrace the insanity of the source material.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1584
Points : 2466
Reputation : 28
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Dont really care what reviewers think of the movie TBH

_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 797
Points : 1591
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 29
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:29 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
In case anybody cares, the yellow ranger is trying to find herself sexually. I can't help but wonder if this is a form of apology to David Yost to make up for all the times he was picked on for being gay. Personally, I don't think it was needed.


Here are some of the first reviews for the new Power Rangers movie......And they're not good.

David Ehrlich from IndieWire gave it a C-.

Germain Lussier from io9 said that it's not good too. To be fair, he does like Elizabeth Banks as Rita and R.J. Cyler as Billy but that's about it.

Basically, it looks like this movie made the same mistake that Trank/Fox did with Fant4stic in that they made it too dark and they didn't embrace the insanity of the source material.

I'm going to have to disagree until I see the film myself. There are other reviews out that appear much more favorable, and even then, this movie does not look anywhere near the disaster Fan4astic was. I keep seeing these comparisons, but they don't look a like, and the director seems at least competent of the film he was making. The problem I'm seeing with the film is not in its focus, but it's execution looks to have sort of sucked the life out of some of it. By that I mean, Power Rangers was always a goofy show. Different seasons had more mature takes, but it was always about people in colorful suits beating up monsters and saving the world. The humor didn't always hit, but it was there. The trailers for this film show very little humor. If the Avengers can be a big spectacle film, and still be fun, this needs to work a similar way.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3893
Points : 4767
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:59 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
In case anybody cares, the yellow ranger is trying to find herself sexually. I can't help but wonder if this is a form of apology to David Yost to make up for all the times he was picked on for being gay. Personally, I don't think it was needed.


Here are some of the first reviews for the new Power Rangers movie......And they're not good.

David Ehrlich from IndieWire gave it a C-.

Germain Lussier from io9 said that it's not good too. To be fair, he does like Elizabeth Banks as Rita and R.J. Cyler as Billy but that's about it.

Basically, it looks like this movie made the same mistake that Trank/Fox did with Fant4stic in that they made it too dark and they didn't embrace the insanity of the source material.

I'm going to have to disagree until I see the film myself. There are other reviews out that appear much more favorable, and even then, this movie does not look anywhere near the disaster Fan4astic was. I keep seeing these comparisons, but they don't look a like, and the director seems at least competent of the film he was making. The problem I'm seeing with the film is not in its focus, but it's execution looks to have sort of sucked the life out of some of it. By that I mean, Power Rangers was always a goofy show. Different seasons had more mature takes, but it was always about people in colorful suits beating up monsters and saving the world. The humor didn't always hit, but it was there. The trailers for this film show very little humor. If the Avengers can be a big spectacle film, and still be fun, this needs to work a similar way.

So far it has a 42% on Rotten Tomatoes. In comparison, the 1995 movie has a 50% rating.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1584
Points : 2466
Reputation : 28
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:17 pm


_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3893
Points : 4767
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Here's an article about how Margaret Loesch helped make Power Rangers so big.

Disney is apparently ashamed of making Power Rangers RPM.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3893
Points : 4767
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Haim Saban confirms that the Power Rangers movie is the first in a 6 story arc.

I feel this will be like the Transformers movie series but only worse. This new film doesn't look like it fully embraced the source material and only did so reluctantly. At least Bay embraced some of it.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1584
Points : 2466
Reputation : 28
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:34 am

So the mobile PR game, Legacy Wars came out today and its pretty fun so far



Thats my team ATM

_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3893
Points : 4767
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:57 pm

This is what the green ranger's helmet will look like in the sequel to this year's Power Rangers movie.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/829629-power-rangers-green-ranger

Now I'm even more worried about what the Dragonzord will look like.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton


Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1130
Points : 1931
Reputation : 56
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:26 pm

To say I'm surprised by the reception to the new movie would be an understatement. Power Rangers never seemed like a property that critics would go easy on for a variety of reasons, but the fact that it currently stands as mixed and in the 40% range, in contrast to my earlier guesses for anything around or under 20%.

Among the hosts of Collider Movie Talk, Perri Nemiroff is one of my favourites of that group, (not least because of her love of the JP series). From the outset, she strikes me as someone who is as big and as die hard a fan of MMPR as any 90s kid, and she gave the new film a very positive review. I bring this up to partially play devil's advocate, that perhaps this is a case in which the film in question is not the disaster many of us feared it would be. She highlighted that the Rangers themselves were acted well and had good chemistry as a group.

Still, I feel that they easily could have hewed closer to the design, tone and character of the original show and still made a successful movie that attracted more fans who were on the fence about it. Because outside of Jurassic Mainframe, there are a lot of MMPR fans who weren't taken in by the marketing. Personally, I would have looked at Sam Raimi's first two Spider-Man films, John Hughes movies and Back to the Future as examples of lighthearted, colourful and comedic tone without being too faithful to the show's more campy elements.

_______________
"Life will find a way."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 797
Points : 1591
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 29
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:17 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
In case anybody cares, the yellow ranger is trying to find herself sexually. I can't help but wonder if this is a form of apology to David Yost to make up for all the times he was picked on for being gay. Personally, I don't think it was needed.


Here are some of the first reviews for the new Power Rangers movie......And they're not good.

David Ehrlich from IndieWire gave it a C-.

Germain Lussier from io9 said that it's not good too. To be fair, he does like Elizabeth Banks as Rita and R.J. Cyler as Billy but that's about it.

Basically, it looks like this movie made the same mistake that Trank/Fox did with Fant4stic in that they made it too dark and they didn't embrace the insanity of the source material.

I'm going to have to disagree until I see the film myself. There are other reviews out that appear much more favorable, and even then, this movie does not look anywhere near the disaster Fan4astic was. I keep seeing these comparisons, but they don't look a like, and the director seems at least competent of the film he was making. The problem I'm seeing with the film is not in its focus, but it's execution looks to have sort of sucked the life out of some of it. By that I mean, Power Rangers was always a goofy show. Different seasons had more mature takes, but it was always about people in colorful suits beating up monsters and saving the world. The humor didn't always hit, but it was there. The trailers for this film show very little humor. If the Avengers can be a big spectacle film, and still be fun, this needs to work a similar way.

So far it has a 42% on Rotten Tomatoes. In comparison, the 1995 movie has a 50% rating.

I've never needed critic reviews, I always judge on my own opinion. Also that 50% on the original movie is audience rating. Critic rating was 33%.

Fan reception has been really good so far. I can't go until Sunday but I'm excited to see it.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1584
Points : 2466
Reputation : 28
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:01 pm

I cant see it until next week cause the friend who's wanting to go with me has plans this weekend.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3893
Points : 4767
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:42 pm

The movie made Kimberly into a revenge pornographer and her 'turning point' was totally negated.

Oh, great. Let's see a teenage male try to get away with this like reboot-Kim basically did. I mean revenge porn in a Power Ranger movie? WTF?!

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1584
Points : 2466
Reputation : 28
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:47 pm

Every 'Power Rangers' Series Ranked

_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1584
Points : 2466
Reputation : 28
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:50 pm

The reboot has made 40.5 million so far domestically with a worldwide total of 60 million
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/power_rangers/power-rangers-opens-to-a-solid-405-million-while-logan-crosses-200-million-domestic-a149929

_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 797
Points : 1591
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 29
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:54 pm

I think it'll make its budget back. Even if it underperforms, I'm willing to bet Lionsgate will still try a sequel. They want more franchises, and I think with a different director and some extra work, more people will be drawn when they see the next is a Green Ranger adaption.

That said if all goes well, I'll be seeing the movie in about two hours.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1584
Points : 2466
Reputation : 28
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:56 pm

I think more will be drawn to it if they find out JDF is the Green Ranger in the sequel, which I doubt but who knows.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 797
Points : 1591
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 29
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:47 pm

They will not make JDF the Green Ranger. They'll want another up and coming actor for the role. Plus JDF has a cameo in this film.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3893
Points : 4767
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:04 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
They will not make JDF the Green Ranger. They'll want another up and coming actor for the role. Plus JDF has a cameo in this film.

So far, it's made just over $59 million worlwide. So it's going to make it's money back. By the way, have you heard the rumor of the next-this movieverse wise-female Green Ranger? Apparently, Rita is going to make a new female Green Ranger, Rita 2.0 basically.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 797
Points : 1591
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 29
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:40 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:
They will not make JDF the Green Ranger. They'll want another up and coming actor for the role. Plus JDF has a cameo in this film.

So far, it's made just over $59 million worlwide. So it's going to make it's money back. By the way, have you heard the rumor of the next-this movieverse wise-female Green Ranger? Apparently, Rita is going to make a new female Green Ranger, Rita 2.0 basically.

I mean, I wouldn't be against it...but if it really was Rita 2.0, not a big fan of that.

I just got back from the film, and honestly, I liked it quite a bit. It isn't perfect, but its far better to me as a fan than any of the negative reviews were giving it credit for. That said it has it's problems, some more glaring than others.

Spoiler:
 

Overall, I'd give it a solid 7.5/10. I might boost it to an 8 personally, but for all it's flaws I feel it sits pretty well at that.

Also, I'd like to comment on that article above, about the "revenge pornography" subplot. That article blows it way out of proportion. It is a thing, but Kimberly is extremely remorseful about it. She doesn't want to talk about it, and when she finally does, it is emotional for her. And later, when Goldar crushes the car of these other girls, and Kimberly comments, those girls were only established as mean to her, cutting up a picture of her at the beginning and making other mean comments. Maybe it wasn't necessary to a movie kids will see (I can say for sure the cow joke did not need to be there), but it does actually help to establish Kimberly is a good person and made mistakes, just like all the others.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 797
Points : 1591
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 29
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Despite the 46% critic rating, current audience rating is 80% on RT. Also, sources have said this will get a release in China, which hopefully means a decent foreign box office to guarantee us a sequel.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3893
Points : 4767
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:36 pm

Good news and bad news.

Good news: The 2017 Power Rangers reboot has made $97.76 million dollars.

Bad News: It took a 64% drop in it's second week.

Any bigger drops and this movie could outright bomb. Even if it makes a profit, it's going to be very hard to justify a sequel. And even if a sequel gets made, I think it would be made only to wrap things up and nothing else.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3893
Points : 4767
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:44 pm

As of now the MMPR reboot has made just under $117.2 million dollars.

Not very good. It's safe to say that any hopes for multi-movie series a la Jurassic Park or Transformers have gone out the window. As I said before, we might get a sequel, but only for the sake of wrapping things up.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1130
Points : 1931
Reputation : 56
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:45 am

Fans in the US and Britain are increasingly hoping that the stronger overseas markets of China and Japan will prove instrumental in allowing the franchise to go ahead with a sequel. But even so, this is still a really poor position to be in, especially for a movie based on a legitimate hit franchise of the 90s. I wonder how much of this could have been averted by establishing a better first impression and overall more faithful aesthetic. And it would be greatly upsetting if the 'Green with Evil' saga was successfully adapted, but only existed to conclude the short-lived franchise.

_______________
"Life will find a way."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3893
Points : 4767
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:01 am

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Fans in the US and Britain are increasingly hoping that the stronger overseas markets of China and Japan will prove instrumental in allowing the franchise to go ahead with a sequel. But even so, this is still a really poor position to be in, especially for a movie based on a legitimate hit franchise of the 90s. I wonder how much of this could have been averted by establishing a better first impression and overall more faithful aesthetic. And it would be greatly upsetting if the 'Green with Evil' saga was successfully adapted, but only existed to conclude the short-lived franchise.

I agree. I really think a lot of people thought of Fant4stic when they saw the first trailer and hearing about how gritty it would be. Add in how the Zords look too different then what people thought and it's no surprise that this would happen. Even if this makes a profit, I only see this movie making $300 million or so at best. Like it or not, that scenario that you mentioned with the 'Green With Evil' saga concluding everything, looks to be the case if this does make a profit. The golden rule is that a movie has to double it's budget to break event-with some noticeable exceptions like Batman vs. Superman via the massive marketing campaign. While I see this movie eventually making $200-$250 million, I find it hard to see it reaching the $300 million mark.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3893
Points : 4767
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:42 pm

So far, Power Rangers has made just $128.6 million dollars. $80.9 million domestically.

A mere 11 million more dollars then last week...That's not good. I don't think it's been released in Japan and China yet, but even so...This is NOT a very good sign. Even if this movie does make a profit, it's only going to be a marginal profit.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1130
Points : 1931
Reputation : 56
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:24 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
So far, Power Rangers has made just $128.6 million dollars. $80.9 million domestically.

A mere 11 million more dollars then last week...That's not good. I don't think it's been released in Japan and China yet, but even so...This is NOT a very good sign. Even if this movie does make a profit, it's only going to be a marginal profit.

At this point, it might be better for fans of the old series like me to accept that this is not going to take off like Lionsgate wanted. It's a shame, because Power Rangers really did have it's heart in the right place as far as a modern update of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is concerned, but boy did the marketing and overly redesigned aesthetic hurt it.

_______________
"Life will find a way."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3893
Points : 4767
Reputation : 61
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 30
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:44 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
So far, Power Rangers has made just $128.6 million dollars. $80.9 million domestically.

A mere 11 million more dollars then last week...That's not good. I don't think it's been released in Japan and China yet, but even so...This is NOT a very good sign. Even if this movie does make a profit, it's only going to be a marginal profit.

At this point, it might be better for fans of the old series like me to accept that this is not going to take off like Lionsgate wanted. It's a shame, because Power Rangers really did have it's heart in the right place as far as a modern update of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is concerned, but boy did the marketing and overly redesigned aesthetic hurt it.

I just think that once people saw how it looked, that it remanded them too much like the trainwreck known as Fant4stic.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1130
Points : 1931
Reputation : 56
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:02 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
So far, Power Rangers has made just $128.6 million dollars. $80.9 million domestically.

A mere 11 million more dollars then last week...That's not good. I don't think it's been released in Japan and China yet, but even so...This is NOT a very good sign. Even if this movie does make a profit, it's only going to be a marginal profit.

At this point, it might be better for fans of the old series like me to accept that this is not going to take off like Lionsgate wanted. It's a shame, because Power Rangers really did have it's heart in the right place as far as a modern update of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is concerned, but boy did the marketing and overly redesigned aesthetic hurt it.

I just think that once people saw how it looked, that it remanded them too much like the trainwreck known as Fant4stic.

Yes, that definitely had more than a part to play in keeping people either wary of the film or just kept them well away. Then again, Fant4stic was more inspired by Chronicle, of which you can see that there was a lot of inspiration from that film put into the look of Power Rangers.

It also didn't help that strong competition from Kong: Skull Island, Beauty and the Beast (especially), and Boss Baby (of all things) really cut down its odds at getting an audience.

_______________
"Life will find a way."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   

Back to top Go down
 
It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread
Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Lounge :: Off-Topic Discussions-
Jump to: